Sheffield for Freddy?

santo=dorf

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
With Dye likely to regress and injury/age concerns with Thome, I would hope the Sox pick up a hitter of Sheff's caliber. I'm not sure if Sheffield is that guy, but I wouldn't dismiss this as easily as some here. I certainly wouldn't do it for Freddy... perhaps Buehrle, but not Freddy.

You would trade Buehrle for Sheffield, but not Garcia? Thats not going to go a long way for your credibility as a sox fan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe Sheffield would want to come to a city where R. Kelly lives nearby!! With that said, I really don't believe the Sox are interested in Sheffield. He doesn't fit any of the needs that we have, and he doesn't seem like an Ozzie type player.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Your concerned with injury and age concerns with Thome, yet Thome is not only a bit younger than Sheff, but also was semi-healthy this year(at least played the whole year, not saying he was healthy while doing it) while Sheff was out for most of the season.....

Well, I did say I was unsure about Sheff being the guy we need (because of the age/injury concerns you listed). I do think we need another big bat in the lineup.

I see some regression from Dye, but not as much as you would like to think. When healthy, Dye has been stud. A few freak injuries in Oakland was screwed with his career numbers, but I think Dye comes back with AT LEAST another 100 RBI season, around .290 with 35-40 HR's.

I have a hard time believing that. He's never been a 35-40 HR before this season. His previous high was 33. Personally, I think he'll put up something between an .875-.925 OPS next season. It's an improvement over his first season here (and well above his career averages) but not close to what he did this season.

It kills me to say it but this would probably be the only move they could make that would sour my loyalty to the Sox. That being said the only way KW would trade for him is to be involved in a deal with another team where the Sox would not end up with him. KW is not stupid enough to want a player like him.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
:huh:

Freddy Garica is the #1 pitcher that will be traded from the team this year, his age, shoulder stiffness and velocity decline makes him alot more expendable than your best pitcher of the last 5 years. Since 2001 Buehrle has been a cornerstone of the rotation and has been one of the most valuable players on the team. He had one off year and suddenly he sucks to you? Your idea alone of trading an extremely valuable pitcher for Sheffield is already terrible, saying you would trade Buehrle for him before Garcia is even worse.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm sure this was already said(I don't feel like going to the thread), but ESPN reported that the Yanks have a trade deal already set-up with Sheff involved. They did not know who the other team was but speculated about the Cubs or Phillies.

his laziness would do very well on the northside3.

I honestly want to believe that it's just a rumor. Sheffield is a prick and want him faaaaaaaaaaaar away from the Sox.

The offseason just started and I don't think KW would pull the trigger so quickly on a trade without exploring other options. Unless, of course, Sheffield gets flipped somewhere else.

Let's just hope it's a rumor, so we don't have to go through all these scenarios and I don't have put the icepick through my toes.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Freddy Garica is the #1 pitcher that will be traded from the team this year, his age, shoulder stiffness and velocity decline makes him alot more expendable than your best pitcher of the last 5 years. Since 2001 Buehrle has been a cornerstone of the rotation and has been one of the most valuable players on the team. He had one off year and suddenly he sucks to you? Your idea alone of trading an extremely valuable pitcher for Sheffield is already terrible, saying you would trade Buehrle for him before Garcia is even worse.

Guess we'll have to see how much all that matters next year. I'm simply of the opinion Freddy Garcia will have a better 2007 than Mark Buehrle. Plus, I don't know if I want to pay Buehrle what he's going to demand for a contract extension.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)

Not even; Buehrle had one bad half.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
Guess we'll have to see how much all that matters next year. I'm simply of the opinion Freddy Garcia will have a better 2007 than Mark Buehrle. Plus, I don't know if I want to pay Buehrle what he's going to demand for a contract extension.

As much as I dislike Garcia, I'm inclined to agree with you. If he can regain his velocity (as he claims), then he can have one of his best years in 2007. He could have his normal velocity, a splitter, and possibly better control in a contract year. If the FO is convinced that he actually will regain that speed, then I'd ride out his final year of the contract.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
Two Words: HELL YES!

Any reason why? We'd be getting older, not dropping any payroll (in fact, adding $3 mil), and getting a player who is far from being a model citizen and whose personality clashes with Ozzie's. There's nothing that make sense here.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
I believe this was a rumor started by Will Carroll and the New York press is on it, but Bruce Levine shot it down during the 9 o'clock hour on ESPN radio.

Would you trade Garcia for Sheff + cash and put Gary in LF?

this won't happen. this is east coast created garbage. this team doesnt need power hitters, especially aged, ex-roiders with bad wrists...

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
I'm aghast that this was even rumored. I know KW is forgiving and likes to give guys second chances, but Sheffield is the Terrell Owens of baseball. No phawking way should he be allowed to even get near the Sox clubhouse.

So what would be wrong with having a top 3 player at his position on the team, even if his character is a bit questionable?

Gary Sheffield is not TO. TO is a clown and a distraction, but he's not a complete dickhead who has probably cheated in the past.

The Padres are pretty desperate for a power hitting corner OF. I think they'll end up with Iwamura (the Japanese 3Bman who was posted) and Sheffield.

Dave Roberts already knows he won't be returning to the Pads as well FWIW with either Giles or Barfield to lead-off.