Remaining Sox players depart La Guaira team

CSF

From Rotoworld:

White Sox players Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney, Sean Tracey, Tim Redding and Heath Phillips have all left La Guaira of the VWL to protest the termination of the club's manager, Razor Shines.

They join Brian Anderson and Boone Logan, who had already departed due to illness and injury, respectively. Shines was Triple-A Charlotte's manager last season and had recently been promoted to third-base coach of the White Sox. La Guaira is picking up Charles Thomas, Randall Simon and some undisclosed Orioles pitchers to help make up for the exodus.

Source: Deportes Meridiano

Wait, injury to Logan? Haven't heard anything about this.

I personally believe Shines' firing gave the players an easy excuse to leave. Can you honestly imagine a group of 23-24 year olds telling themselves, "our manager from AAA was let go by La Guaira-- during winterball--that's bulls***! CMON, LET'S STAND TOGETHER AND FIGHT THIS INJUSTICE! YEEEAAAAHHH!!"

Really, if this were the case, I don't blame them. Honestly, would any of you want to spend a significant portion of the offseason in Venezuela playing baseball? Even if it were to improve certain deficiencies within your game? I've always been under the impression winterball is rather useless. Their competition is comprised of fringe talent and other assortment of crap. At best, it helps improve a players value; at worst, their confidence is shot.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)

I personally believe Shines' firing gave the players an easy excuse to leave. Can you honestly imagine a group of 23-24 year olds telling themselves, "our manager from AAA was let go by La Guaira-- during winterball--that's bulls***! CMON, LET'S STAND TOGETHER AND FIGHT THIS INJUSTICE! YEEEAAAAHHH!!"

Really, if this were the case, I don't blame them. Honestly, would any of you want to spend a significant portion of the offseason in Venezuela playing baseball? Even if it were to improve certain deficiencies within your game? I've always been under the impression winterball is rather useless. Their competition is comprised of fringe talent and other assortment of crap. At best, it helps improve a players value; at worst, their confidence is shot.

Actually spending winters in the Carribean or Mexican leagues is quite fun. as long as you don't take it too seriously with the living conditions. It's usually a bunch of young guys making decent money here (rich down there) and most of the trips are a blast. It's a lot more fun than the minor leagues in the States.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
Trade all of them. Right now. They're following the ways of Satan himself, Brian Anderson.

They call him "Diablo".

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)

This is all it said:

"Logan has returned home with stiffness in his arm".

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
They should be worrying about their strike zone judgement and mastering offspeed pitches instead of about their old AAA coach and current 3B coach's part time job.

:cheers

He wasn't fired, he was promoted. I assume now that they do not want to be fired from AAA either.

Anyone else besides me find Ozzie's reaction to this exidous puzzling? He seemed not to mind it at all even though all these players needed the work, and those who were playing were really struggling. Considering the reaction they had when Owens went home last year after having a great year in AA and hitting the crap out of the ball in the Winter League you would have thought he really would be pissed at these guys walking away. He basically said they weren't ready for it. If they aren't ready to play in Venezuela, they aren't going to be ready to play in Chicago. Maybe he figures they did him a big favor. It probably won't be that hard to send any of them back to AAA even if they have a huge spring. BTW, trade Fields while someone will still give up something worthwhile for him.

Sounds like players aren't goin back to Venezuela anytime soon;

According to Williams, the Sox aren’t likely to be sending players or coaches to Venezuela in the near future.

“I will send our players to the Dominican (Republic), Mexico, Puerto Rico or the AFL (Arizona Fall League),’’ Williams said Tuesday. “What’s all the worry about?’’

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Makes you wonder how Ozzie feels about players not going back Venezuela .Too bad well never know .

I'd hope he'd stick up for the organization. I really don't think Ozzie cares. You can tell KW has no problem considering the hand was essentially forced and Kenny's right there are plenty of other leagues that may even be safer to play in.

I know I for one wouldn't want to have to go to Venezuela for a month to play baseball if I was coming off a long minor league season already (in fact if I were a top prospect I wouldn't, now if I were fringe I may just suck it up).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
I'd hope he'd stick up for the organization. I really don't think Ozzie cares. You can tell KW has no problem considering the hand was essentially forced and Kenny's right there are plenty of other leagues that may even be safer to play in.

I know I for one wouldn't want to have to go to Venezuela for a month to play baseball if I was coming off a long minor league season already (in fact if I were a top prospect I wouldn't, now if I were fringe I may just suck it up).

Right and Im sure thats why BA didnt want to go in the first place .I understand that you do what the org. says but after struggleing through his rookie season he prob. just wanted some much neede rest which he ended up getting after all .I guess they dont have TUMMS down in Ven..

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Right and Im sure thats why BA didnt want to go in the first place .I understand that you do what the org. says but after struggleing through his rookie season he prob. just wanted some much neede rest which he ended up getting after all .I guess they dont have TUMMS down in Ven..

With the sorts of pathogens that could make one lose 20 pounds that rapidly...trust me, Tums don't do jack. Neither did anything else for that matter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
With the sorts of pathogens that could make one lose 20 pounds that rapidly...trust me, Tums don't do jack. Neither did anything else for that matter.

I understand that ....just making a joke is all .The important thing is he'll be ok.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 01:30 AM)
They call him "Diablo".

This is all it said:

"Logan has returned home with stiffness in his arm".

I read that it was stiffness in his LEFT shoulder...which is weird.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)

I graduated from high school in Venezuela (dad worked for an oil company down there). Anti-gringo sentiment aside, it's nicer than you might imagine, particularly for American baseball players. We used to see them at the nice hotel bars having a pretty damn good time.

Venezuelans worship good baseball players.