Mono

redandwhite

So I went rather hard on saturday night and woke up in an awkward position with a female by my side, consequently my neck was mighty sore. This morning I woke up with a common cold, throat a little sore, a little stuffed up, etc.

This girl friend of mine is convinced I have mono and it's freaking me out.

Has anyone ever had it? Anyone know of anyways to figure out if you have it or not without going to the doctor as I don't have a car or a clue as to where the Health Center is on Campus here at IU...

Anyone.. Bueller..

Mono sucks, my friend. And I hope you don't have it. I had it for two weeks about two years ago, and I might've left my room about 5 times during that span. I also lost a few pounds.

I also believe it wasn't as serious as most people get it, because I never went to the doctor and just waited it out. Some people have it for months.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
When I found out I had mono, there was no doubt about how sick I was. I actually passed out asleep on my way to a couch in my fraternity house.

They have to take a bloodtest to know for sure, btw.

I second that, it could be a mild case, but if you have a strong case of it like I did, there's no question about it, and you would be rushing to the doctors or ER because it messes you up bad.

I was out of school for 1 month and for the first week and a half I basically slept 22 hours a day and the other 2 were walking to and from the bathroom. It sucks big time, so hopefully you just have a little strep, or it could even be the flu.

IU health center isn't bad at all. I went a few times when I was in school when I couldn't make it home to get to the doctor and they were always friendly and helpful.

If you don't feel well soon, I'd go regardless just to make sure you don't have it.

My sis had it and its pretty bad (she had a real bad case of it). But after one day I wouldn't worry, if the thing sticks around and lingers than I'd start to have concerns.

But if the sore throat doesn't feel like its getting better thats probably a good indication (plus some serious swelling of your limpnodes).

I woke up a few times last night with some serious hot sweats, finally cooled off after taking a fever reducer. Headache also went away.

I'm just waking up now, and I do feel better all around, but my throat is still as sore as it was, if not worse.

As soon as I can get a ride, I'll be at the doctor.

Thanks guys.

Untreated, can't it leave boys sterile?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
My sis had it and its pretty bad (she had a real bad case of it). But after one day I wouldn't worry, if the thing sticks around and lingers than I'd start to have concerns.

But if the sore throat doesn't feel like its getting better thats probably a good indication (plus some serious swelling of your limpnodes).

Looks like it. :lolhitting

Hope you're ok, red.

Does anyone know if because my fever, headache, and overall soreness is gone, that it might be just a bad sore throat or something? That's really the only symptom I'm having, although it's bad enough to the point where It's tough to swallow or eat anything outside of apple sauce and water.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Does anyone know if because my fever, headache, and overall soreness is gone, that it might be just a bad sore throat or something? That's really the only symptom I'm having, although it's bad enough to the point where It's tough to swallow or eat anything outside of apple sauce and water.

If you don't see any improvement in a day I'd think pretty hard about going. I'm assuming you still feel drowsy and all that stuff?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)

mono is quite a conclusion to jump to...much more likely you just have strept or something similar. I had mono back in high school and you'd know it if you have it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you don't see any improvement in a day I'd think pretty hard about going. I'm assuming you still feel drowsy and all that stuff?

Not as drowsy as I did yesterday. Now it's almost solely the sore throat, although it's the kind of sore throat where it's tough to swallow, I'm spitting up green flem, and when I cough my head starts to ache.

I'll probably go tommorow, just to make sure.

I was born to watch IU beat Michigan on saturday.. I have to be healthy for saturday.. ha