Hampshire College

Texsox

If he plans on smoking a lot of dope but still wants to get a degree somewhere along the way, then that is the place for him. :P

No, seriously, if he plans on smoking a lot of dope but still wants to get a degree somewhere along the way, then that is the place for him. :ph34r:

Take a test - or don't - if you want. Help design your own curriculum. Don't expect an actuual letter grade, instead the teachers will write a course performance review. Get done in 4 years. . . 5 years, whatever.

I'm intrigued as well. Let me know how it turns out.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

As a liberal art student myself, if your son likes the arts, don't deny him the opportunity to go to an art school. He'll be able to do what he wants and he'll be with students that enjoy the same things and will challenge him to his best. The teaching methods they use most likely won't be normal and it may be difficult to see the benefits, but believe me, the A-F, 0-100 scoring scale isn't for art.

I'm actually thinking of transfering here myself. If you have any other information, please let me know.

Actually a PhD in Psychology is his education goal, but he would like an opportunity to sample things along the way. Learn how to think. The 11:1 student/faculty ratio and an average class size of 16 seems like nirvana. From the research he has done, graduates seem to do well in grad school. I am concerned about the accreditation. It seems legit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 07:01 AM)
Actually a PhD in Psychology is his education goal, but he would like an opportunity to sample things along the way. Learn how to think. The 11:1 student/faculty ratio and an average class size of 16 seems like nirvana. From the research he has done, graduates seem to do well in grad school. I am concerned about the accreditation. It seems legit.

FWIW, you get those kind of numbers in just about any small liberal arts school.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
St. Olaf is great for Psych. I have 3 other friends in advanced Psych graduate programs.

But I'm sure that other school is nice too. . .

olaf berserker, girl think sexy.

my love for you is ticking clock...*berserker*... do you want to .... my.... *berserker*

QUOTE(Soxy @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
St. Olaf is great for Psych. I have 3 other friends in advanced Psych graduate programs.

But I'm sure that other school is nice too. . .

I can see it now. Tex Jr., the proud graduate of Hampshire Commune . . . er, College, saying "Dad remember whan I told you I cared deeply about majoring in Psych? Well. . . Psyche!!! And thanks for the four-year party!"

:D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
I can see it now. Tex Jr., the proud graduate of Hampshire Commune . . . er, College, saying "Dad remember whan I told you I cared deeply about majoring in Psych? Well. . . Psyche!!! And thanks for the four-year party!"

:D

:lolhitting How can I check out if their accreditation is legit?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
:lolhitting How can I check out if their accreditation is legit?

NEASC would be the regional accreditation agencies for MA. You should be able to look up Hempshire. . . , er, I mean Hampshire College on that page and see if they are regionally accredited. :D

The general rule of thumb is to defer to the regional agencies and to not be content just with a national accreditation.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
Just wondering, Tex, is that you next to Bush?

Successful politicians would not be photographed anywhere near me. :D I just pray that Bush realizes he stood next to a meth using homosexual and lightning didn't strike, he didn't get any gay cooties, it didn't "rub off", or any of the other dire warnings dunderheads think.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
NEASC would be the regional accreditation agencies for MA. You should be able to look up Hempshire. . . , er, I mean Hampshire College on that page and see if they are regionally accredited. :D

The general rule of thumb is to defer to the regional agencies and to not be content just with a national accreditation.

Yep, right there between Greenfield Community College and some off the wall place, Harvard. :D

From their website

blank.gif blank.gif blank.gif

Spiritual Life

The Spiritual Life Center at Hampshire College provides the space and support for spiritual exploration, development, and appreciation. We seek to encourage healthy community life, interaction, and reconciliation across boundaries of ideas, possibilities, and faiths. We offer a place where students can flourish and experience the connections between mind, body, and spirit, a place where we can become fully ourselves even as we lift up and celebrate our diverse community.

Click here for the Five-College Spiritual and Religious Life Website.

Center for Spiritual Life , x5282

The top of Donut 5

Spiritual Life Office , x5282

Second Floor of Merrill Student Life Center

Student Groups :

From the Tree of Knowledge

The Gathering

Hampshire Christian Fellowship

Hampshire College Habitat for Humanity

Hampshire Unitarian Universalist Radical Action

Jewish Student Union

Meditation: Ananda Marga

Meditation: Zen

Multi-faith Student Council

Pagan Collective

Quakers

Student Alliance for Israel

Jim, this totally disproves your hypothesis. Here is the bio on one of their staffers . . .

Catherine Anraku Hondorp

Catherine Anraku Hondorp is a Dharma Holder and Senior Priest with The Village Zendo in New York City. Her teacher is Roshi Enkyo O’Hara, a dharma successor of Roshi Bernie Glassman. As the priest in residence at The Zen Center in Northampton, Anraku works with the sangha to provide a sacred space for Zen practice. She is the adjunct Buddhist Chaplain at Smith College and Buddhist Advisor to the community of Hampshire College.

Anraku began her Zen studies in August of 1987 when she arrived at Zen Mountain Monastery with her partner and their three cats for an “Introduction to Zen” workshop, a weekend adventure would shift the course of her life. There she met her future teacher Enkyo O'Hara, and began sitting with the small group that she would later lead in her New York City apartment. This group would become The Village Zendo. Anraku received Jukai (the Buddhist Precepts) with Roshi John Daido Loori in 1990. Six years later, she asked Roshi Enkyo O'Hara to guide her practice as her teacher. In 2000, Anraku received Tokudo, was ordained as a Soto Zen Buddhist Priest, and co-founded The Zen Center on Main Street in Northampton. Anraku led The Village Zendo sangha as the Shuso or senior monk during the summer intensive practice period of 2002. On July 29, 2006, she was affirmed by Roshi O’Hara as ‘Hoshi’ or Dharma Holder in the White Plum Lineage of Maezumi Roshi.

Anraku is happy to be at Hampshire College offering meditation and Zen Buddhist practice to the community. Her emphasis on the body stems from over 15 years as a professional modern dancer and teacher. Catherine Anraku Hondorp is also a Network Chiropractor with a private practice, The Life Center for Network Chiropractic, which focuses on practical tools for transforming pain and disconnection into awakening to the gift of being human.

She lives in the woods of Westhampton with her life partner Lindsay and her two dogs Scout and Soleus.

Hey I really want

practical tools for transforming pain and disconnection into awakening to the gift of being human.
:wacko: :blink:

Well, if you're that sold on the place, then I'm right there with you, Buddy.

And that's going to set you back how much a year?

Tex to Tex, Jr.: "You want to connect with your spiritual side, you watch late night 'Kung Fu' reruns on TNT like everybody else!"

:)

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Well, if you're that sold on the place, then I'm right there with you, Buddy.

And that's going to set you back how much a year?

Tex to Tex, Jr.: "You want to connect with your spiritual side, you watch late night 'Kung Fu' reruns on TNT like everybody else!"

:)

No, I'm sold on a little University in Austin Texas

texas_01.jpg

You may have herd of it . . .

BTW, Hampshire will require a lifetime of debt on his part, $40,000 per year + + +

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 04:42 AM)
Successful politicians would not be photographed anywhere near me. :D I just pray that Bush realizes he stood next to a meth using homosexual and lightning didn't strike, he didn't get any gay cooties, it didn't "rub off", or any of the other dire warnings dunderheads think.

bushbrownfoley.jpg

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
If that's true, my Columbia College looks a whole lot better than it used to.

I really, really wanted to try to come to Caltech as an undergrad, but my dad convinced me to stay in state. In hindsight, it's really really really nice to be here and have them footing the bill for grad school after saving as an Undergrad.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
No, I'm sold on a little University in Austin Texas

texas_01.jpg

You may have herd of it . . .

BTW, Hampshire will require a lifetime of debt on his part, $40,000 per year + + +

Perhaps you've heard of a better school just up highway 6? :)

texas-am-ar.jpg

WHOOOP!

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
Perhaps you've heard of a better school just up highway 6? :)

texas-am-ar.jpg

WHOOOPed every year by THE University of Texas!

Fixed :D

Their President just resigned for some civil servant patronage job with the government that his buddy arranged. What kind of an example does that set for the University if the University President could only get a government job?