Moises Alou....a solution

joeynach

I know this sounds strange but I think Moises Alou could really help this club in 2007. I came across a stat in espn the magazine the other day that could improve our club. We were just dismal against lefties last year, Thome, Pods, Iguchi, and AJ were a combined like .230 against lefties last year or something. The real problem was Thome he was night and day, i think he hit like .220 against lefties with only 4 hrs last year. Anyway Alou although he only had 350 AB due to injury he hit .349 against lefties last year and drove in most of his RBI and HR against them. I think he would be a great insurance policy for thome who proved his value drop really fast with a lefty on the mound. Not to mention the boatload of quality lefties in our divison that we play many time, Lee, Sabathia, Rogers, Robertson, Santana, Liriano, Redman, etc.

I think we could get alou for something like 1 year 4-5 mil and he would be huge for us. Helping spell thome as DH against tough lefties which he face fairly often. And IMHO that was a mojor problem with us against lefties last year. Having the lineup got Pods, Tad, and Thome against lefties didn't help either but this should give us some better AB's against those tough lefties where we failed last year. What do you think.

The point is Alou plays when there is tough lefty out there who gives thome trouble, which is like every lefty. Whether he takes the DH spot or plays left field is up to ozzie but just having him in there for those situations would be huge for us.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
I would love to have Alou on the 60 day DL. He would be the best player on our DL in many years.

Well you certaintly cant want Thome in there every game we face a tough lefty on the mounds he killed our team and middle of the lineup in that regards last year. You got a better idea?

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Well you certaintly cant want Thome in there every game we face a tough lefty on the mounds he killed our team and middle of the lineup in that regards last year. You got a better idea?

I'd take a poor lefty hitting player over a guy that's always hurt.

Regarding LF:

Trade Garcia to the Reds for Ryan Freel and one of their pitching prospects. Freel brings tremendous versatility, thus making Mackowiak/Podsednik expendable. Freel, who has an over .400OBP against LHP over the last three seasons could leadoff. You then can get a quality veteran to bolster the pen in exchange for Mackowiak/ or Podsednik.

Edited by Chet Lemon

I don't think spelling Thome vs LHP is the biggest priority for the Sox. Not for 4-5 million either.

Iguchi just needs to hit LHP better as a RH Batter and the Sox need to address the leadoff spot.

If the Sox get Roberts to leadoff and play LF, he will help against LHP as he batted .292 vs LHP in 2006.

The only benefit to the White Sox of signing Moises Alou is that the Tigers and Twins, both of whom could use him, won't get him.

Focus people, focus. We have better things to spend our money and time on this offseason. Leadoff hitter, LF, SS, righty reliever, resigning Buehrle, Crede, Iguchi, Dye.

$5 million spent on this wins a couple extra games. $5 million replacing Podsednik wins a lot more than that.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Another thing about the "tough lefties" that were mentioned: Liriano is out, Redman isn't back with the Royals (Thome had a 1.000 OPS against,) Robertson was torched by him (1.255 OPS,) and he had a 1.000 OPS against Johan Santana.

Hell yeah! I seem to recall J.T hitting a few homers off of Santana this season and lets not forget that we spanked Cliff Lee like red-headed step child . Alou is a nice idea but we could find somebody else to get the job done . If we did this who will remind Alou to take his geriatric pills?

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Regarding LF:

Trade Garcia to the Reds for Ryan Freel and one of their pitching prospects. Freel brings tremendous versatility, thus making Mackowiak/Podsednik expendable. Freel, who has an over .400OBP against LHP over the last three seasons could leadoff. You then can get a quality veteran to bolster the pen in exchange for Mackowiak/ or Podsednik.

i'd listen to something like that....i like freel.

why not just sign all the ex-sox players in Free Agency to solve all of our problems :lol:

Frank Thomas, 1B

Ray Durham, 2B

Jose Valentin, SS

Tony Graffanino, 3B/RF

Carlos Lee, LF

Kenny Lofton, CF

Geoff Blum, RF/3B

Sandy Alomar Jr., C

Orlando Hernandez, SP

Kip Wells, SP

Scott Schoeneweis, SP/RP

Rick White, RP

Roberto Hernandez, RP

Jeff Nelson, RP

Dustin Hermanson, RP

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
The only benefit to the White Sox of signing Moises Alou is that the Tigers and Twins, both of whom could use him, won't get him.

Well, that, and the extra 35-40 homers we'd have in LF, and the OBP of around .360.

Focus people, focus. We have better things to spend our money and time on this offseason. Leadoff hitter, LF...

Leadoff hitter? Tadahito Iguchi.

Left fielder? Umm.... Alou would play left.

We're not talking about Eric Byrnes here, a guy who is only good as a platoon partner. Alou may be turning 40 next year, but the guy can still rake, plain and simple, against lefties or righties.

$5 million spent on this wins a couple extra games. $5 million replacing Podsednik wins a lot more than that.

If all Alou is asking for is five million, I hope to God the Sox sign him. The Sox would have the best bargain OF in all of baseball. For under $13 million bucks, 80+ homers, 200+ RBIs, and a good defensive CFer. And to think, Carlos Lee is about to get a contract around that amount of money for just one season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Ryan Freel will not get anywhere near the White Sox as long as Williams is the GM. You have to remember KW is looking for character guys and Freel is the complete opposite of what he's looking for seeing how he's a psychopathic drunkard and all.

Wtf, when you say it, it almost sounds as if it were a bad thing.

No to Alou. The sox need to get more athletic. They don't need to turn into the SF Giants of the AL. IIRC, Alou was one of the leaders on the cubs who'd be glad not to play once the cubs were eliminated from the playoff race in September, laughing about it with the media. Doesn't sound like an Ozzie guy.

This isn't a new idea -- I think SantoDorf or someone put it up first -- but count me among those who think it is a good idea if Alou would settle for a 1-year deal, or maybe 1 guaranteed year plus an option, for something less than the $7.5 million he received last season.

Our 2006 club couldn't hit lefties very well, and we had a huge hole in LF. Alou would very nicely help in both categories without standing in the way of developing other players. And he'd be a better lead off hitter than Scott Podsednik.