Moises Alou....a solution

joeynach

He won't settle for a platoon job. But if the Sox signed him, they'd have no reason to platoon him, anyway. He murders lefties, true. He'd sit cuz he merely hits extremely well against righties?

I think there's a slim to none chance Alou ends up with the Sox, just saying, his willingness to accept a platoon job won't have anything to do with that determination.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WE do need to address poor results against left handers-bad ones look good against us. This is an idea that has merit

In 2006, these lefthanders had the following Sox players hit well against them:

Santana: Pablo and Jim Thome

Sabathia:Pablo and Jermaine

Lee: Crede, Jermaine, Mack, Iguchi, Konerko

Rogers: Anderson, Dye(.851 OPS,) Konerko (.833) we didn't hit his cheating ass that well

Robertson: Crede, Dye, Thome, Uribe

Redman: Anderson, Crede, Konerko, Pablo, Thome

Perez: Crede, Iguchi, and Pablo

Where exactly do you plan to start? Looks like LF, C, and SS to me. Yet people think trading Thome because "he can't hit any left handers" is a good idea. :rolly

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
In 2006, these lefthanders had the following Sox players hit well against them:

Santana: Pablo and Jim Thome

Sabathia:Pablo and Jermaine

Lee: Crede, Jermaine, Mack, Iguchi, Konerko

Rogers: Anderson, Dye(.851 OPS,) Konerko (.833) we didn't hit his cheating ass that well

Robertson: Crede, Dye, Thome, Uribe

Redman: Anderson, Crede, Konerko, Pablo, Thome

Perez: Crede, Iguchi, and Pablo

Where exactly do you plan to start? Looks like LF, C, and SS to me. Yet people think trading Thome because "he can't hit any left handers" is a good idea. :rolly

I'm pretty sure the poster was saying the idea of signing Alou has merit, not the idea of trading Thome.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure the poster was saying the idea of signing Alou has merit, not the idea of trading Thome.

I'm not going to make a seperate post to address moving Thome. That is why I generalized a group of "people" and not say "you" want to trade Thome.

Signing a guy just to platoon with him is stupid IMO, but Alou could play DH against LHP and play LF against RHP

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
I'm not going to make a seperate post to address moving Thome. That is why I generalized a group of "people" and not say "you" want to trade Thome.

Signing a guy just to platoon with him is stupid IMO, but Alou could play DH against LHP and play LF against RHP

That's fine, I just don't understand how you were responding to that post.

Trading Thome -- seems like an idea that a couple people have floated, but I haven't seen tons of people clamoring for it.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trading Thome -- seems like an idea that a couple people have floated, but I haven't seen tons of people clamoring for it.

He said we should address our problem against left handed pitchers. Although he wants to focus on the bad ones, I put focus on the lefties in our division. As you could see by the breakdown, the only guy who seemingly hits LHP is Pablo and Dye. He said we should improve our hitting with the only suggestion (my assumption as I am going along with the thread) being signing Alou to platoon with Thome. It is obvious our holes last last season were LF, C, and SS. Not the DH.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think anyone wants Thome except us.

:huh :huh:

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)

He still has something of a no-trade clause.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
I'd rather the sox take a flier on Shannon Stewart if the prognosis for his foot is decent. He'd be a short timer.

This is the first time I've heard his name, and I love the idea. If healthy, there's our leadoff and starting LF.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
This is the first time I've heard his name, and I love the idea. If healthy, there's our leadoff and starting LF.

For the risk/ reward , Stewart is a much better option than most names being floated about. But the sox would have to have other deals lined up as well. Particularly a SS who could hit near the top of the order

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
I'd rather the sox take a flier on Shannon Stewart if the prognosis for his foot is decent. He'd be a short timer.

If KW could be convinced he was healthy, I'd have no problem with that...but I'm just not sure he could convince people that he'd stay healthy. And I'm also not sure he has enough of that speed that Ozzie/so many folks here want.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
If KW could be convinced he was healthy, I'd have no problem with that...but I'm just not sure he could convince people that he'd stay healthy. And I'm also not sure he has enough of that speed that Ozzie/so many folks here want.

Stewart doesn't have the speed. But he is the type of versatile hitter the sox could use.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)

That was my idea when making this post. The problem is we still dont have a leadoff hitter then unless we go out and sign pierre or something to play center and lead off. Although Im not giving up on our home grown talen, sweeney and anderson both could be valuable sox cornerstone players in the not too distant future.