David Riske-"type A" free agent

WhiteSoxfan1986

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/262766.html

If you scroll down there is a list of each teams free agents who could get them compensation picks in return. Riske is a type A, so if we offered him arbitration and another team signed him we would get that teams first round pick and a supplemental pick. I didn't think he'd be a type A.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Yes, cause we could always trade him.

Exactly. Teams are always desperate for relief help, and you could probably ship off Riske for a prospect if he accepts the arbitration.

Being able to get a couple of draft picks for him though, would be a PERFECT situation. Flash I'm sure you would agree here. :D

That's $2 million that could be better spent. I think there is zero chance of the White Sox offering Riske arbitration, and zero chance that a team signs him before the White Sox have to make it official. He's a reliever who can't be put into tight situations. You always need guys who pitch garbage time, but pay those types around the minimum. Do you think there is any chance the White Sox go after Eric Gagne? I think Boras is his agent which would present a problem, and he probably would balk at being a set-up guy if he's even healthy enough to pitch, but for some reason I think the Sox may be interested.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
That's $2 million that could be better spent. I think there is zero chance of the White Sox offering Riske arbitration, and zero chance that a team signs him before the White Sox have to make it official. He's a reliever who can't be put into tight situations. You always need guys who pitch garbage time, but pay those types around the minimum. Do you think there is any chance the White Sox go after Eric Gagne? I think Boras is his agent which would present a problem, and he probably would balk at being a set-up guy if he's even healthy enough to pitch, but for some reason I think the Sox may be interested.

I think there's a remote but nonzero chance of KW going after someone like Gagne, but the key would be the opinion of Cooper. As we've seen with a lot of guys (AJ Burnett, Octavio Dotel, etc.) there are usually teams willing to spend a fair amount on guys despite their injury history if the ownership thinks that the player can help the team...and I think Gagne hits that category. Someone will probably give him more money than he should get...the only way I'd want it to be us is if Coop gave it the full go-ahead.

QUOTE(Kenkait Sox Fan @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
If talking about relievers, how about a low risk flyer on Keith Foulke if his option not picked up. If he were healthy, he would probably accept setup role and act as a potential insurance for days Jenks can't close.

I think we have enough "insurance" for Bobby at this point. I just want the best RH setup man we can get for the price.

QUOTE(Kenkait Sox Fan @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
If talking about relievers, how about a low risk flyer on Keith Foulke if his option not picked up. If he were healthy, he would probably accept setup role and act as a potential insurance for days Jenks can't close.

I think Foulke has a player option for $3.5 million. If he turns that down, he'd be looking for more. I wouldn't pay him that to set up especially with all the physical questions, and I'm a huge Keith Foulke fan. He bought me some libations in 1999.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have a problem giving $2 million to our fifth man in the bullpen yet you advocate going after a guy, represented by Boras, whose $12 million option was just declined because he had a year full of injury. :bang

Someone please remind me how many bullpen guys the White Sox currently have that are making over $1 million?

Thought so.

The only other teams that can say that are the D-Rays, Marlins and Royals.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
You have a problem giving $2 million to our fifth man in the bullpen yet you advocate going after a guy, represented by Boras, whose $12 million option was just declined because he had a year full of injury. :bang

Someone please remind me how many bullpen guys the White Sox currently have that are making over $1 million?

Thought so.

The only other teams that can say that are the D-Rays, Marlins and Royals.

I don't have a problem spending the money, in fact I have been screaming about KW blowing off the bullpen last season, but at least $2 million for Riske is insane. The guy sucks. Cleveland, which can use some pitching, made Boston take him. He can't handle pressure situations. He had 0 holds in 2005, something unheard of for set-up men making $2 million a year. He's no better than the minor league crap Williams signed last season. In fact, a piece of that crap was used to acquire Riske.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
I don't have a problem spending the money, in fact I have been screaming about KW blowing off the bullpen last season, but at least $2 million for Riske is insane. The guy sucks. Cleveland, which can use some pitching, made Boston take him. He can't handle pressure situations. He had 0 holds in 2005, something unheard of for set-up men making $2 million a year. He's no better than the minor league crap Williams signed last season. In fact, a piece of that crap was used to acquire Riske.

I'm not a huge fan of Riske by any means, but I wouldn't say he sucks.

Although he has problems with control from time to time and recently striking out hitters, a guy with a ERA in the mid to high 3's can't be THAT bad can he? Neal Cotts has better stuff than Riske but worse stats than Riske this season. Does that mean he sucks more than Riske?

And I don't think Cleveland really wanted to dump him, especially when you consider how bad their bullpen was this season, in fact Riske probably would have looked pretty good there.

What's amazing to me about Riske is that in the past he had always been utilized as someone who was tough for lefties to get ahold of.

Lefties were significantly better than righties were against him last season, probably one of the reasons Theo didn't mind trading him, even if it was viewed as a fleecing at the time.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
And that man goes by the name of Chuck.

I've already voiced my distain for having a knuckler in a relief role. I dont like walks with men on, and I HATE giving up free stolen bases. Unless Stewart is catching, the runners will all have free bases.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've already voiced my distain for having a knuckler in a relief role. I dont like walks with men on, and I HATE giving up free stolen bases. Unless Stewart is catching, the runners will all have free bases.

For my ideal bullpen, Haeger wouldn't be pitching in 8th inning with 1 out and runners on second and third (which apparently some people here think that's what Riske will be used for.)

He would pitch when a starter gets knocked out early either through injury or a s***ty game, or when we have a comfortable lead.

Jenks-Closer

MacDougal-RH setup man

Thornton-LH setup man

Cotts-LH situational or 6th or 7th inning guy when the starter doesn't go that long

???-RH situational or 6th or 7th inning guy when the starter doesn't go that long

Haeger-Long man/Spot starter/mopup duty

I don't see what the big deal is giving Riske a couple of million to be the ??? When relievers have been getting a ton of money over the offseason. Relief pitching is the riskiest(no pun intended) positions to fill via free agency. Look at the deals Fransworth, Ryan, Howry, Eyre, Dempster, anybody the Phillies signed when Ed Wade was in the office.

What would've happened if Politte was a free agent after 2005? Who ever was going to sign him would've been screwed big time.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
I actually like Riske in the mop up role. We need someone to take the load off of some of the more important bullpen arms.

Based on the way ozzie Guillen has used his bullpen the last 2 years, we already have that guy. In fact, we have 6 of them, and one of them will be moved: Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, McCarthy, Contreras, Vazquez.

Ozzie has used his bullpen by far the fewest innings in baseball the last 2 years. I don't see it making too much sense to start making sure we have mop-up inning guys when we really don't use guys like that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)

And Stewart pretty much never caught for Haeger down in AAA. I don't get why Haeger gets all this love. I think he's real over-rated on this board. I don't mind having him as a plan C if a starter goes down, but I sure as heck don't really think he's be that good in any sort of pivotal roll on this team.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
I don't get why Haeger gets all this love. I think he's real over-rated on this board.

Cuz he pitched well, maybe? I don't get why everyone sh**s all over him. The guy throws a knuckler that clearly can dance, plus a mid-80s fastball that he doesn't telegraph. If he can keep the knuckler down, like he did this year, he gives you a league average or slightly better pitcher for peanuts. God forbid.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Cuz he pitched well, maybe? I don't get why everyone sh**s all over him. The guy throws a knuckler that clearly can dance, plus a mid-80s fastball that he doesn't telegraph. If he can keep the knuckler down, like he did this year, he gives you a league average or slightly better pitcher for peanuts. God forbid.

A bunch of people are willing to trade 2 starters and live with him in our rotation as a 5th starter. I'm sorry but thats unacceptable to me. We want to win, I can live with breaking in Bmac but breaking in Bmac and Haeger well thats just not a way to win (unless you get lucky).

I have no major problem with using him as our LAST guy out of the pen.