Rumsfeld Resigns

FlaSoxxJim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
:::applause:::

The AP is confirming.

So...next move...Bush nominates Lieberman, Republican governor in Conn. gets chance to Replace Lieberman, Republicans control the Senate again?

Oooh, that would be something. Unlikely to be Lieberman though. Heck, maybe he'll noninate a Dem Senator with some credentials for Defense Secretary and replace him to the same effect.

Here it comes . . .

The funny thing is they could have done this before the election and made it look like Bush was taking control to get something done and move past their mistakes. It would have totally taken back the fixing Iraq card for a lot of the upset conservatives. For being the most incrediblely sinister and evil geniuses to ever exsist on the world's political stage, the repubs sure can be pretty dense at times.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
You people freakin' amaze me. You get EXACTLY what you want, and cynaicsm abounds.

Can you listen to this press conference, and the way he's handling the questions and honestly wonder why there is cause for cynicism?

Remember, this is the President who two days ago was claiming that if the Dems win the terrorists win and America loses.

Bush confirms the Cheney will ALSO be with him for the remainder of his term.

Not that I don't doubt it, but where have I heard that before?

I'm glad that Lieberman didn't get the nod for it. I was sure that was what was going to happen actually. I wouldn't be surprised if Joe gets a nod for another cabinet post - because he's the only Dem leaning Senator the GOP has a chance of shaking off.

I'm glad Rumsfeld finally got the axe. Hopefully, that means we can start undoing the damage he's done.

Back to the cynicism issue. If you are listening to the conference you heard Bush say that even as he was telling reporters that Rummy was safe for the rest of the term he was really already looking for a replacement.

Today, Bush announced Rumsfeld is resigning and being replaced by former CIA Director Robert Gates. At a press conference, Bush said, “the only way to answer that question, and get it on to another question, was to give you [the reporters] that answer.” Bush admitted that he had talked to Rumsfeld about resigning and was actively searching for his replacement at the time.

And still the cause for our cynicism is questioned?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Back to the cynicism issue. If you are listening to the conference you heard Bush say that even as he was telling reporters that Rummy was safe for the rest of the term he was really already looking for a replacement.

REPORTER: Last week you told us Secretary Rumsfeld would be staying on. Why is the timing right now, and how much does it have to do with the election results?

BUSH: You and Hunt and Keil came into the Oval Office and asked me to question one week before the campaign. Basically, are you going to do something about Rumsfeld and the Vice President? The reason why is I did not want to make a major decision in the final days of the campaign. The only way to answer that question, and get it on to another question, was to give you that answer. The truth of the matter is as well, that is one reason I gave the answer. The other reason why is I had not had a chance to visit with Bob Gates yet. I had not had my final conversation with Don Rumsfeld yet at that point. I had been talking with Don Rumsfeld over a period of time about fresh perspectives. He likes to call it fresh eyes.

Just in case you wanted the full quote.

So this Gates guy:

The bad: He's another of the Iran-Contra folks, just like a bunch of the other guys who have gotten us into this mess. He's also a Texas guy, another Bush confidant it appears, and another oil guy, which might limit his willingness or ability to tell the administration the things it needs to hear but hasn't listened to for the last 4 years.

The Good: He's a member of James Baker's Iraq Survey Group or whatever they're calling it, the ones who are about to release a bunch of reccomendations on Iraq which say we need to do something other than "Stay the Course", suggesting he might at least have an understanding of how big of a disaster that is. He also has a masters degree from IU, and a former head of the national Eagle Scouts association.

But at least he's not Rumsfeld. And no matter what he does, it's going to be pretty damn hard for him to be worse.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)

Yes. Why should he just tell the media everything going on in the White House, government, CIA, and whatever the hell else?

You all got what you wanted - control of Congress and the EVIIIIIIIIL Donald Rumsfeld to resign all within 24 hours of each other. So, for just one day, can you let it rest for once? I guess not.

He answered the question of how can you work with some one like Nancy who has been ridiculing him for months and years... politics makes you say stupid things - and I think he included himself in that as well.

But of course, Bush and Cheney need to go, too. Hail Nancy!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Yes. Why should he just tell the media everything going on in the White House, government, CIA, and whatever the hell else?

You all got what you wanted - control of Congress and the EVIIIIIIIIL Donald Rumsfeld to resign all within 24 hours of each other. So, for just one day, can you let it rest for once? I guess not.

He answered the question of how can you work with some one like Nancy who has been ridiculing him for months and years... politics makes you say stupid things - and I think he included himself in that as well.

Most polarizing post in the whole damn thread. Possibly all day.

I would really appreciate one post of yours that doesn't resort to mocking and hyperbole in this forum.

Sorry, that's harsh, but you cry partisanship all day, and then you post something like this? Please.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Most polarizing post in the whole damn thread. Possibly all day.

I would really appreciate one post of yours that doesn't resort to mocking and hyperbole in this forum.

Sorry, that's harsh, but you cry partisanship all day, and then you post something like this? Please.

Amen to that.

I have had the pleasure to listen to Gates on a couple occassions, and have seen the work he has done with the Boy Scouts. I believe he is one of the best picks that Bush could have come up with. I admire his character and citizenship. :usa

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)

Kap, switch to decaf. :)

By you, I suspect you mean the American voters, along with the millions of illegals, who want a change in Iraq. Rumsfeld was the head of the go to war group, and pushed that agenda. Now it's time for a plan to get out, and he is not the one to do it. In fact, I am trying to remember someone who would have been able to do both, lead us into the war and lead us out. I think that is a difficult task for any human.

You want cynism, I believe his resignation clearly hinged on these results. If the GOP had retained control, it would have been a victory for "staying the course" and Rumsfeld would have, and dare I say, should have, stayed.

I believe Bush has selected a great replacement, and look forward top the path our country will take these next two years.

I don't know much about the guy - but initial signs look pretty pleasing. He supports dialogue with Iran, seems to want to change course in Iraq, sounds like an improvement.

Of course, he was involved/implicated in Iran-Contra. The nature of that needs to be disclosed too. Because if he doesn't have respect for our laws regarding foreign involvement, he sure doesn't need to be at a cabinet level.

I think so far the GOP has made all the right moves in day 1 of a much more balanced Washington.

Bottom line is if my party of choice doesn't make adjustments we could see serious democratic control starting with the next election. If they are smart they'll be very very willing to work with the democrats and basically go with a plan of letting the dem's dig there own hole (basically if the dem's really have no policy/idea it will really start to show if the repub's are very willing to work with the dem's).

Of course if the dem's have some good ideas and they work well than they earned what would probably be a big time mandate in the future elections. However, considering the top leadership of the democratic party I still have my doubts as to if happening (but if it did, I won't have any problems).

I just don't want us to cut out on Iraq and let the place go back to the stoneage's. We've done a lot of good there and it would be a travesty to just walk away and let it all go for not. That said I completely believe there should be a detailed plan of how we are going to start getting out of there.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
We've done a lot of good there and it would be a travesty to just walk away and let it all go for not.

I'd like to know, other than putting one man (Saddam) to justice of a sort, what good we have done over there? Considering we've managed to kill off a few percentage points of the population in Iraq (more innocent than not), create civil strife, make the whole region hate us more, kill 3k of our own soldiers, make our country less safe and generally make life for Iraqis worse than it was under Saddam... what is the good news?

Mind you, I don't agree with leaving Iraq either, now that we've made such a mess of the place. I just can't see how anything other than Saddam's trial has gone on over there that is remotely positive.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
I think so far the GOP has made all the right moves in day 1 of a much more balanced Washington.

Bottom line is if my party of choice doesn't make adjustments we could see serious democratic control starting with the next election. If they are smart they'll be very very willing to work with the democrats and basically go with a plan of letting the dem's dig there own hole (basically if the dem's really have no policy/idea it will really start to show if the repub's are very willing to work with the dem's).

Of course if the dem's have some good ideas and they work well than they earned what would probably be a big time mandate in the future elections. However, considering the top leadership of the democratic party I still have my doubts as to if happening (but if it did, I won't have any problems).

I just don't want us to cut out on Iraq and let the place go back to the stoneage's. We've done a lot of good there and it would be a travesty to just walk away and let it all go for not. That said I completely believe there should be a detailed plan of how we are going to start getting out of there.

Yea, at least for a start, dumping Rumsfeld is the ideal Republican response to last night.

I think that your second paragraph applies to both parties quite equally. The best example I can give of it is what happened in California; in 2005, the governor came out and decided that he was going to be a "my way or the highway" guy, and was going to take his stuff to the voters, and yada yada yada he got killed. Then look waht he did in 2006...suddenly he changed course, started pushing policies that were much more centrist, actually dealing with the legislature in a sensible way, and suddenly instead of gridlock, we wound up passing bond initiatives that are actually going to help the state (and save a few thousand lives, in the case of the levee repair). California is much, much better off after the rebuke in 2005 and course change by the governor than it would have been had Arnold won everything he wanted on 2005.

Like I've been saying all day, there are plenty of things that this Congress can work together with the President on. There are going to be investigations, as well their should be, considering how little oversight the previous congress did. And there's probably going to be a major fight over executive power, as their should be. But there is still plenty of the people's business sitting around waiting to be done, business that hasn't been done thanks to the do-nothing congress we just voted out.

I have quite a few good friends that served in Iraq (a couple being West Point Grads) and than a couple being Army guys (out of high school) and the stories I've heard are all resoundingly positive of how much the people appreciate our army and us.

I'm sorry but I refuse to let a vast majority ruin my perception of helping out a country. Albeit its still got a long ways to go and we need to find a way to get Iraq far more involved in there own mess, but stuff doesn't happen over night.

We also have some family friends that are from Iraq (they had to flea and lost everything at one point during Saddam's reign) and obviously they are biased but they still have some family over there and they've been back to visit and talk about how much better the country is and how so many people are happy.