White Sox Payroll

spiderman

Can someone break down the White Sox payroll for the upcoming season OR point me to a thread that's talked about this already ?

The Chicago Tribune had reported that the payroll already had 12 players and $99 million committed to it - I believe this was before raises for Crede as well.

Now I know that McCarthy, Sweeney, possibly Fields and Haeger, Anderson, a backup catcher, Gload won't make much money next season, but that only puts the Sox up to about 16 or 17 players.

What will be a reasonable guess at the payroll to start the season ? If they ended last season right around $100, can we expect $115 ? More ? Less ?

I realize that we're going to move about $9 million with a starting pitcher, and who knows if they can find a way to include Uribe ($4.5) in a deal, but if the payroll doesn't account for adding difference making players, I don't see how they are going to improve, outside of trades involving players on their roster.

Given their payroll issues, I can't see them adding any impact free agents, and maybe just one reliever on their $$$ terms.

Thoughts on the Payroll for the upcoming season are welcome!

Here is the Payroll with best guess estimates for the Arb players:

2007 Payroll

M. Buehrle - 9.5

J. Conteras - 9.0

J. Garland - 10.0

J. Vazquez - 12.5

F. Garcia - 10.0*

B. McCarthy - 0.5

M. MacDougal- 1.5 Arb

M. Thornton - 1.5 Arb

N. Cotts - 0.5

C. Haeger - 0.4

B. Jenks - 0.5

D. Hermanson- 0.5 Buyout

Total -$56.4

A. Pierzynski- 5.50

P. Konerko -12.00

T. Iguchi - 3.25

J. Uribe - 4.15

J. Crede - 5.00 Arb

J. Thome -14.00

J. Dye - 6.50

B. Anderson - 0.50

LF - ???

Total -$50.9

P. Ozuna - 0.60

R. Mackowiak - 2.75

R. Gload - 0.75 Arb

A. Cintron - 2.0 Arb

Backup C - ???

Total -$6.1

Team Total - $113.4 w/2 positions open (LF, Backup Catcher)

Vazquez/Thome- $9 Million, estimated savings from trades applied to 2007

Final Total - $104.4 w/2 positions open (LF, Backup Catcher)

*Also note that this is without moving a Starting Pitcher (Garcia $10 Million) which would bring it down to $94.4 Million.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
Here is the Payroll with best guess estimates for the Arb players:

2007 Payroll

M. Buehrle - 9.5

J. Conteras - 9.0

J. Garland - 10.0

J. Vazquez - 12.5

F. Garcia - 10.0*

B. McCarthy - 0.5

M. MacDougal- 1.5 Arb

M. Thornton - 1.5 Arb

N. Cotts - 0.5

C. Haeger - 0.4

B. Jenks - 0.5

D. Hermanson- 0.5 Buyout

Total -$56.4

A. Pierzynski- 5.50

P. Konerko -12.00

T. Iguchi - 3.25

J. Uribe - 4.15

J. Crede - 5.00 Arb

J. Thome -14.00

J. Dye - 6.50

B. Anderson - 0.50

LF - ???

Total -$50.9

P. Ozuna - 0.60

R. Mackowiak - 2.75

R. Gload - 0.75 Arb

A. Cintron - 2.0 Arb

Backup C - ???

Total -$6.1

Team Total - $113.4 w/2 positions open (LF, Backup Catcher)

Vazquez/Thome- $9 Million, estimated savings from trades applied to 2007

Final Total - $104.4 w/2 positions open (LF, Backup Catcher)

*Also note that this is without moving a Starting Pitcher (Garcia $10 Million) which would bring it down to $94.4 Million.

Thanks for the good information! For all practical purposes we are really at $94.4+ (+ is what salary they add back in a trade, but I'm really just expecting maybe a relief pitcher, and prospects) since a starter will be traded, and the DiamondBacks/Phillies are paying some of Thome/Vacquez.

Has Kenny Williams indicated how high he will go with the payroll ?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Thanks for the good information! For all practical purposes we are really at $94.4+ (+ is what salary they add back in a trade, but I'm really just expecting maybe a relief pitcher, and prospects) since a starter will be traded, and the DiamondBacks/Phillies are paying some of Thome/Vacquez.

Has Kenny Williams indicated how high he will go with the payroll ?

As far as I know, we have only guesses to this point as to how high JR and KW will be willing to go with the payroll.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
If history is any guide we should see something around the $120 million mark.

If we finished last season right around $100 million, I have to assume we'll increase it, given the attendance from last season, and expected goals for this season, ticket price increases, possibly increased $$$ from the new CBA (is this true ?) and the 7/11 deal....Why do you say that number ?

I'm kind of frustrated that we're not far from the off-season starting, and we've seen Williams in the papers over the past week or so, and we haven't even seen a quote from him not answering the budget question.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
i think thats too much....id say 110 is about right

I don't see why they would increase it at all, especially if they're going to trade away Freddy's $10 million salary. Many of the season-ticket holders from this season were people who begrudgingly bought the packages so they could purchase playoff tickets last season. I expect that the majority of those people will not renew. If they're going to draw less at the gate this season, Reinsdorf & Co. might be less willing to spend $100 million plus on salary.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
I don't see why they would increase it at all, especially if they're going to trade away Freddy's $10 million salary. Many of the season-ticket holders from this season were people who begrudgingly bought the packages so they could purchase playoff tickets last season. I expect that the majority of those people will not renew. If they're going to draw less at the gate this season, Reinsdorf & Co. might be less willing to spend $100 million plus on salary.

too much assuming, there is a waiting list for season tickets and they upped the prices a bit. Also they have new luxury boxes which will bring in more revenue. There is no reason to think that the attendance will effect the payroll in a negative way at all.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)

People already had the chance to drop their tickets though. You had the option to withdraw the money from your account from the playoff tickets deposit (from 2006) and cancel your season tickets, but in general people didn't do that. The renewal rate on season tickets is somewhere between 90 and 97 percent depending on which rep you talk to, so so far that theory has proven to be inaccurate.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
If we finished last season right around $100 million, I have to assume we'll increase it, given the attendance from last season, and expected goals for this season, ticket price increases, possibly increased $$$ from the new CBA (is this true ?) and the 7/11 deal....Why do you say that number ?

I'm kind of frustrated that we're not far from the off-season starting, and we've seen Williams in the papers over the past week or so, and we haven't even seen a quote from him not answering the budget question.

20% increase in attendance+ highest ever ratings on their own cable network+more marketing deals+an extra $5 million from the new luxury seats in the former press box mixed in with the fact that the Sox always have added the previous years profits to the next years payroll.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
People already had the chance to drop their tickets though. You had the option to withdraw the money from your account from the playoff tickets deposit (from 2006) and cancel your season tickets, but in general people didn't do that. The renewal rate on season tickets is somewhere between 90 and 97 percent depending on which rep you talk to, so so far that theory has proven to be inaccurate.

I didn't relize that the renewal rates were that high. If they're retaining that many season-ticket holders, then I agree that they'll continue to spend for at least this year, even if it's only a moderate increase.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
The Forbes numbers don't come out until right before opening day.

Damn you Forbes...come out today :fight

I see it somewhere between $110-120 on the year, probably right around $116 or so. You've saved some money for a potential addition to the club midseason, while also adding probably $16 mill in payroll(meaning the Sox could have somewhere around $26 mill to play around with after dealing a starter).

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
I know that I tried to move my seats, and my rep said no one is really dropping out. I just have 2 seats,so it sounds like everyone is staying.

I remember folks around here saying that they were told by their reps that the renewal rate was running at 97% or so.

Do MLB teams get extra revenue from the new CBA that was just signed ?

How about money earmarked to improve the team at the trade deadline - they really didn't add much payroll with MacDougle - I have no idea if they had $4 or $5 million sitting around to take on a Soriano for the rest of the season, but maybe extra money not spent could be carried over...

I know they're moving the press box to down the right field line for extra seats behind the plate - that's extra revenue, not to mention higher ticket prices, and a high renewal rate, and the new 7-11 deal.

Renewal rates blew my mind. A week after the seaon it was 95%. Also the increase in attendance from last year makes up for missing the playoffs. I think all the other stuff will keep us at right around $115M for the year. Liriano being out I think let's KW spend a little more this offseason as the post season chances have improved on this alone.

Another possibly noteworthy point: The White Sox at the end of 2005 did have to spend something like $4 million or so on buying out the end of the deals for Frank Thomas and Carl Everett...money which we don't have to repeat again this year because the only guy we're buying out was Hermanson.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Renewal rates blew my mind. A week after the seaon it was 95%. Also the increase in attendance from last year makes up for missing the playoffs. I think all the other stuff will keep us at right around $115M for the year. Liriano being out I think let's KW spend a little more this offseason as the post season chances have improved on this alone.

Kenny is going to be agressive no matter the health of other teams, IMO.