J.D. Drew opts out of contract

bkmoney

"It was a business decision," Boras said. "The demand for a five-tool defender, a 25-homer guy, a guy who can drive in 100 runs is pretty clear in today's marketplace."

What about one that has played 140 games only twice in his nine year career? Whoever gives this guy anything higher then the Dodgers were already paying him is a damn moron.

from rotoworld....A baseball source told the Los Angeles Times that the Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Indians, Astros and Rangers could pursue J.D. Drew.

The White Sox? The personalities of Drew and Ozzie Guillen couldn't possibly be more different, so that would be rather fun to see. We'd add the Tigers, Padres, Orioles and maybe the Mariners to the list. Also, the Blue Jays could try to sign him as a center fielder if they make the decision to trade Vernon Wells.

The book "Three Nights in August" is about the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry. The author Buzz Bissinger, spent a lot of time in the St. Louis Clubhouse. If you read the book, its unbelievable how much time he spends talking about how JD Drew's talent is wasted.

If you get the book, just look in the index under JD Drew; You'll find entries for JD Drew: Lazy, Lack of Motivation, Indifferent, Wasting his talent.

You get the impression the JD Drew could be the greatest of all-time... but he's just pissing it away with poor attitude.

P.S. I believe Duracell is traditionally the sponsor for J.D. Drew Night in Philadelphia.

J.D. Drew is an absolute moron.

The whole idea of opting out of your contract early is that you'll get more money if you do so, not less. He's going to wind up in the Jeff Weaver role of last season...taking a 1 year deal somewhere because no one will give him the big contract he and Boras want.

Unless he was just really, really, really unhappy with the Dodgers, which is always possible I guess.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)

The whole idea of opting out of your contract early is that you'll get more money if you do so, not less. He's going to wind up in the Jeff Weaver role of last season...taking a 1 year deal somewhere because no one will give him the big contract he and Boras want.

Unless he was just really, really, really unhappy with the Dodgers, which is always possible I guess.

Just, no.

I'm not saying he'll get anything close to what Soriano'll get, but he should at least be able to match what he would have had with the Dodgers and tack on an extra year. The Weaver comparison couldn't be more wrong. Weaver is a guy who gives you a full, healthy year but may be utter crap (while occupying a rotation slot). Drew is a guy who will always produce when he's on the field. If you have a decent 4th outfielder, you can use Drew conservatively, and very likely eke 450 abs out of him -- in which you'll have a .900 ops and a damn good fielder to boot.

And why would he need to take a one-year ('prove it') contract after a good year?

I'll say this -- the Dodgers sure don't sound happy about losing him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)

I think he figures things like this. If I opt out now, I can get myself another 5 year deal....setting me up till I'm 35, probably at similar money.

If I wait three more years, I will be 33 and now teams may be reluctant to give me anything more than 2 or 3 years and who knows what I'll get at that point.

If he opts out now and gets a 5yr 55-60 mill deal it will all be worth it. When he's healthy he's easily worth 11-12 mill a year and it seems like his latest leg operation got him past most of his injury issues. Funny thing is if I knew he'd be healthy I'd deal Thome and stick Drew in the lineup for a long long time (because he's a superior all around player and fits into Ozzie's mold, plus with him and Dye between LF/RF) we'd have a pretty damn impressive offense.

That said it would never happen and since there is no guarantee of his health there is no way I'd give him that type of deal, but someone will. He'd be a pretty awesome 2 hole guy (or 3 hole).

What is your obsession with trading Jim Thome? You do realize the only thing that kept him from being our best hitter last season (playing around his career norms) is Jermaine Dye (Play above his career norms?)

Oh yeah, last season Drew sucked against lefties too but Thome blew him away against RHP.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
The book "Three Nights in August" is about the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry. The author Buzz Bissinger, spent a lot of time in the St. Louis Clubhouse. If you read the book, its unbelievable how much time he spends talking about how JD Drew's talent is wasted.

If you get the book, just look in the index under JD Drew; You'll find entries for JD Drew: Lazy, Lack of Motivation, Indifferent, Wasting his talent.

You get the impression the JD Drew could be the greatest of all-time... but he's just pissing it away with poor attitude.

P.S. I believe Duracell is traditionally the sponsor for J.D. Drew Night in Philadelphia.

Chronic underachiever with a lazy attitude and a history of injury problems who's about to get a giant contract....

Sounds like he'll be sporting Cubby Blue in no time

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mlbtraderumors.com is reporting that the Red Sox have offered something in the neighborhood of $48 million over 4 years for Mr. Drew. Could this be a sign that they've got something cooking for Manny?

If MLBtraderumors.com said it, it's wrong. You can assume that Ramirez won't be traded and that J.D. Drew is going to the Yankees for 8 years and $96 million dollars.

Actually......

Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News said J.D. Drew is expected to sign a two-year, $30 million deal with the New England Yankees.

There have also been rumors of a four-year deal worth about $52 million. If the short-term deal is the choice, it might be because of the Yankees Jr.'s refusal to give out full no-trade clauses.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Actually......

Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News said J.D. Drew is expected to sign a two-year, $30 million deal with the New England Yankees.

There have also been rumors of a four-year deal worth about $52 million. If the short-term deal is the choice, it might be because of the Yankees Jr.'s refusal to give out full no-trade clauses.

I am so glad to see someone else use that :)