Sick Day at work?

FoxySoxGirl

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
I know a lot of larger companies are switching to PTO which combines your sick days with vacation days and you can kind of take them whenever.

I'm pretty stoked cause I get 23 PTO, 8 holidays, plus 4 office holidays (which are chosen by the top management our individual company locations).

And we are encouraged to use every single one of those days throughout the year.

It's about time this started. Our company starts with 12 days vacation time and it moves up to 17 days after 6 YEARS!!! And that's it. No more...ever. That's just ridiculous.

Europe STARTS at 4 weeks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
But as for calling in sick and how to do it? You call in, say "I'm not coming in, I'm sick" and that is it. They can't ask questions.

Back to when I supervised in the PO, I had a manager who was pretty nutty. She'd call every morning right when I was busiest and ask how things were going. See, she worked 6-7 hours a day, then when shopping for "supplies," commuted to her boyfriend's station where they'd go out for business lunches or drive together to meetings, so me being in the middle of something important couldn't be possible. Anyway, she was insane about sick days (though her attendance was poor), and she'd ask me who called in, what's their problem, did I tell them they really needed to come in, etc. She hated that I just took the call and recorded the absence. 5 years later, I can still hear her seething with anger that I was so forgiving about sick days.

My opinion, once someone picks up the phone, they're NOT coming in. Why put on a fake voice or come up with an elaborate story? Say, "I can't make it in today, I don't feel well and can't possibly work. I should be ok tomorrow. Good day, sir." Then, hang up.

Well I hop that answered her original question.

Best thing I have heard is call when you first get up, like 4:30 or so and leave your boss a voice mail saying how you were up all night and detailing the worst case of diareha ever. Include number of trips to the restroom and also close calls where you almost didn't get to the bathroom. No one wants anyone like that to come in or wants to hear any more about it.

I work in a small company so even if I am sick sometimes it is easier for me just to go in. Nothing gets put off until tomorrow at my job, so unless I feel like getting woke up every 10 minutes, it's easier just to go in.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
My opinion, once someone picks up the phone, they're NOT coming in. Why put on a fake voice or come up with an elaborate story? Say, "I can't make it in today, I don't feel well and can't possibly work. I should be ok tomorrow. Good day, sir." Then, hang up.

If they're well enough to say "good day, sir", they're well enough to come into work!

:D

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
I just started my job and after my probationary period is over, I start to accrue time beginning in January.

I get 18 days of PTO my first year and 11 holidays where the office is closed.

Pretty frickin sweet.

what field do you work in, if I may ask?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
What do your companies do when you use up all your sick days and have to take off?

Take it out of your check. It happened once to a co-worker a couple years ago.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Sadly, that's not far off from my actual raise earlier this year. My supervisor said I deserved more but the company has standard percentage. Meanwhile they are about to announce that they are spending 90 million dollars to aquire a company in Florida.

Welcome to my world! It's been 2 years since I have received any kind of raise (or has anyone else I work with for that matter), we found out today our health insurance costs have gone up $15 a month and they are buying two lines from a competitor (this was 2 years in the making though).

Yeah, I can't say I was all that motivated to work after meeting this morning (free lunch or no free lunch).

point of contention here about taking sick days when you aren't sick.

we all know that people who take care of themselves... daily vitamins, exercise, good sleep habits, healthy eating, non-smokers, are in general healthier individuals.

why then, is it wrong for people who make a conscious effort to keep themselves healthy to take non-sick days off. Im not saying abuse the system, but if their colleagues are making unhealty life choices and are getting paid time off, why can't those who make healthy life choices take the same paid time off?

the same goes for those individuals who require "smoking" breaks versus those who don't smoke. Those who don't smoke should get the same breaks than those who do.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
As far as what I do right now, I don't work. I go to school. I'm still in the years of trying to find the easiest way to get rich. :D

Good luck with that. I'd stick close to daddy for the best odds.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
why then, is it wrong for people who make a conscious effort to keep themselves healthy to take non-sick days off. Im not saying abuse the system, but if their colleagues are making unhealty life choices and are getting paid time off, why can't those who make healthy life choices take the same paid time off?

the same goes for those individuals who require "smoking" breaks versus those who don't smoke. Those who don't smoke should get the same breaks than those who do.

Who says they can't? Healthy people who take care of themselves also get sick, no?

Smoke breaks are a joke, but if you read your employee handbook it likely says in there somewhere that you are entitled to 2 15 minute breaks a day. Smokers should be timed, IMO, and when their 30 minutes are up.. docked. Those who don't smoke should take full advantage of those 15 minute breaks also. Most at my current company sit in the lunchroom and watch tv or walk outside in the park behind the office building.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I just started my job and after my probationary period is over, I start to accrue time beginning in January.

I get 18 days of PTO my first year and 11 holidays where the office is closed.

Pretty frickin sweet.

Indeed, speaking of which sometime this week I'm gonna get off my ass an email you about spring training.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Good luck with that. I'd stick close to daddy for the best odds.

Who says they can't? Healthy people who take care of themselves also get sick, no?

Smoke breaks are a joke, but if you read your employee handbook it likely says in there somewhere that you are entitled to 2 15 minute breaks a day. Smokers should be timed, IMO, and when their 30 minutes are up.. docked. Those who don't smoke should take full advantage of those 15 minute breaks also. Most at my current company sit in the lunchroom and watch tv or walk outside in the park behind the office building.

I think non-smokers should get discounts on Health Benefits...likewise for Gym frequenters. I know that's not the end-all of health, but my unscientific guess would be that smokers and sedentary individuals have a higher rate of visiting their health care provider than the previously mentioned.

thoughts? (I know that's a major hijack, but steff brings up a good point)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
What do your companies do when you use up all your sick days and have to take off?

In my case we are allowed to go negative up to a point. And obviously if we don't catch it back you end up kind of buying those days.

Since I accrue almost a day off every two weeks (something like 7.2 hr's) early on if I wanted to go on vacation for like a week or do something I would be able to go negative and earn them back.

But so far I'm up just over 4 days earned since the start of September...WOOT. Considering I don't have anything scheduled till spring training I should have a nice collection for taking off time to head on some summer vacations when I shouldn't be as busy.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I think non-smokers should get discounts on Health Benefits...likewise for Gym frequenters. I know that's not the end-all of health, but my unscientific guess would be that smokers and sedentary individuals have a higher rate of visiting their health care provider than the previously mentioned.

thoughts? (I know that's a major hijack, but steff brings up a good point)

That's an issue with the health care providers and not the employer. If the provider gave such discounts, I imagine employers would pass it on. Health care costs are sickening.

Also, some gym goers are also smokers. And many folks who don't frequent gyms use home gyms. Plus, smokers could lie to get the discount.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
In my case we are allowed to go negative up to a point. And obviously if we don't catch it back you end up kind of buying those days.

Since I accrue almost a day off every two weeks (something like 7.2 hr's) early on if I wanted to go on vacation for like a week or do something I would be able to go negative and earn them back.

But so far I'm up just over 4 days earned since the start of September...WOOT. Considering I don't have anything scheduled till spring training I should have a nice collection for taking off time to head on some summer vacations when I shouldn't be as busy.

At the old job I never got docked. I know it was mainly because of tenure. I was out more than 15 days the month Joey was born and in the hospital and until his passing and never was charged with a sick or vacation day.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
At the old job I never got docked. I know it was mainly because of tenure. I was out more than 15 days the month Joey was born and in the hospital and until his passing and never was charged with a sick or vacation day.

that would be similar to how my employer would handle your situation... which is why I'm going to be staying with them for a long time. That's a "family first" mentality that I like.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
Why do you bother me?

Don't say stupid s*** that makes you sound like a prick - your word, admit you said stupid s*** that makes you sound like a prick, then act surprised when someone agrees with you.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Don't say stupid s*** that makes you sound like a prick - your word, admit you said stupid s*** that makes you sound like a prick, then act surprised when someone agrees with you.

Steff is like an Ice Cream Cone when you trip over the cat.... ALL UP IN YO' FACE!

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)

Even though I edited my post, I'll ask again, why do you bother me?

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)

Ya, in those cases those are family emergencies and you are allowed additional time off. I think like 2 weeks (and if you need more thats cool too, but at that point I think you wouldn't be getting paid). After reading a lot of other posters stories I'm feeling real good about my companies benefits. 30 plus days off without having any requirements for tenure or anything.