http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox12.article

Chris De Luca says:

Garcia/Buerhle two most likely to go

Sox will make run at Roger Clemens

Jamie Walker atop wish list as reliver

Neal Cotts will be shopped

Dave Roberts/Pierre interested in Sox

Sox covet Michael Young

I know a lot of this is old news, but some is new. BTW, we should get the Trade Winds/Rumor Mill thing back.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
I'd be giddy if we got Clemens for a year. I love Roger and he would guarantee sellouts every 5 games.

not me....

hes gonna cost 15+ million, will probably only make 25-ish starts, only go 5-6 per start....yeah, hell draw attendance, but i dont think in the end its worth it for the kind of money the sox will have to pay

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
not me....

hes gonna cost 15+ million, will probably only make 25-ish starts, only go 5-6 per start....yeah, hell draw attendance, but i dont think in the end its worth it for the kind of money the sox will have to pay

Umm....one of the best pitchers in baseball when he's on the mound. Ya, I'm all over that. Plus its just a one year deal and financially there are so many rewards to signing him (all the national exposure....the jersey sales...would help make it almost a lock for 3 million in attendance, barring a complete collapse by the Sox).

The rotation needs help, if you could move someone like Garcia or Buehrle (who are likely gone in a year) and than sign someone like Clemens to 1 year (yes for more money but its just a year) all while getting two top prosspects (in Buehrle's case I say three) that can help position you for the future.

Basically the way I see it you replace the guy you trade all while getting a couple top prospects that will help ya a year down the road.

Not that I think Clemens will come...although we could have had him instead of Navarro.

I'd be giddy if we got Clemens for a year. I love Roger and he would guarantee sellouts every 5 games.

The thing about Roger is for one he will prob. pull the same s*** he did last year and not end up pitching til May .For two his hamstrings could be trouble if he did start the season on time with the cool weather we get and then again in fall .Then theres that bulls*** when he pitches on the road he flys in the night before or the morning of his game and then goes back home after his start .Then theres the hefty price tag that comes with him .I believe his salary was around 14m to pitch 4 mos. of baseball , no thanks Id rather have Freddy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
Umm....one of the best pitchers in baseball when he's on the mound. Ya, I'm all over that. Plus its just a one year deal and financially there are so many rewards to signing him (all the national exposure....the jersey sales...would help make it almost a lock for 3 million in attendance, barring a complete collapse by the Sox).

The rotation needs help, if you could move someone like Garcia or Buehrle (who are likely gone in a year) and than sign someone like Clemens to 1 year (yes for more money but its just a year) all while getting two top prosspects (in Buehrle's case I say three) that can help position you for the future.

Basically the way I see it you replace the guy you trade all while getting a couple top prospects that will help ya a year down the road.

Not that I think Clemens will come...although we could have had him instead of Navarro.

Roger is too old and rickety to make it through the season. IF things do go well next year, do you really think he will be throwing in 30 degree Chicago weather in October with that hammy? Not a chance in hell.

He is worth a lot of sellouts, but he wont be around if we make it deep in the postseason.

Best thing clemens has or will ever do for the white sox is pitch against us in the world series.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
I will just throw this out there. IMO, it will be a HUGE mistake if we trade Cotts unless we got something stellar in return.

I think KW agrees .Hes already said that he has no interest in trading Cotts so it would take something steller .

Would you trade Cotts for Coco ?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Clemens or not, I don't think we'll come as close to 3M in 07 as we did this year. I expect a bit of a dip.

You'll be wrong. Just like everyone laughed at me when i said we'd get 2.8 (than right around opening day people started believing my prediction)...than they blew past it.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
I will just throw this out there. IMO, it will be a HUGE mistake if we trade Cotts unless we got something stellar in return.

Agree completely. I don't want Clemens at all to be honest, he'd be an over 4 era pitcher here probably around 4.3. I love the idea of Jamie Walker especially for Ozzie. IMO it'd be a mistake to trade Mark unless we get a can't miss package, Freddy is the one that needs to go imo, Mark's the last starter I want to trade. I'd absolutely love Michael Young and Ozzie loves the guy as well so I wouldn't be surprised if we go after him hard and we match up pretty decently with Texas. I also have no problem with Pierre or Roberts playing left and leading off as long as it's for a decent price.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
If we can sign Walker? HELL YEAH! The Red Sox wouldn't go for that, though.

Red Sox would be dump not to make that trade. Coco had a poor year from them last year. That said I wouldn't mind picking up Coco...but only if the Sox are able to get someone good to replace Neal.

What if we signed Clemens to a one year deal...dealt Garcia for prospects...dealt Buehrle for Michael Young.

Clemens enters the rotation along with Bmac, we get Young...and we get some good prospects for Garcia. Or say Jason Schmidt's agent calls and says he will take a 3yr 30-36 mill deal with the Sox. At that moment we have 2 good offers for Buehrle/Garcia and could swing them to other teams for prospects and Michael Young and than have a starter like Schmidt signed for a couple more seasons (since Buehrle/Garcia are potentially gone).

We clear some salary...add a front line starter to replace one of the one's we lose...add a bat like Young...add prospects.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
You'll be wrong. Just like everyone laughed at me when i said we'd get 2.8 (than right around opening day people started believing my prediction)...than they blew past it.

Someone needs to bookmark this.

I expected around 3M last year too, but I don't think we'll have the same ticket sales we had in '05, with the extreme disappointment we experienced in '06.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
I love Coco, and it would fill a need but straight up? No. Also like J4life said, the Red Sox probably wouldn't do it.

Oh I agree I just wanted to throw that out there thats all .

As far as Coco goes ,I think a more likely scenerio would be Garcia for Coco and a quality prospect or two .

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Oh I agree I just wanted to throw that out there thats all .

As far as Coco goes ,I think a more likely scenerio would be Garcia for Coco and a quality prospect or two .

That I would not do. I think we can do better for Freddy. Then again, I'm not too familiar with the Red Sox system.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
That I would not do. I think we can do better for Freddy. Then again, I'm not too familiar with the Red Sox system.

Im not too familiar either but I know they have a lefty named Lopez !The thing about Freddy is he doesnt have the worth he should because theres only one year left on the contract but with pitching market being so slim and expensive you never know .

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
In some cases, Freddy having 1 year left on his deal can be a good thing. There are going to be teams battling to sign Vicente Padilla, and someone is going to end up having him locked up for 4 or 5 years. Not the best scenario. To a team like the Mets, that are obviously going for it all RIGHT NOW, a one year rental player might look better than a 4 or 5 year deal.

I guess alot depends on a pitchers age too .Like Zito ,I would want him locked up but hes only 27 .

With pitching so thin this year we might be better off trading Javy and Freddy if we could get the right players in return .

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox12.article

Chris De Luca says:

Garcia/Buerhle two most likely to go

Sox will make run at Roger Clemens

Jamie Walker atop wish list as reliver

Neal Cotts will be shopped

Dave Roberts/Pierre interested in Sox

Sox covet Michael Young

I know a lot of this is old news, but some is new. BTW, we should get the Trade Winds/Rumor Mill thing back.

I'm glad we're seriously shopping Buehrle as well as Garcia. I'm not entirely confident he can be expected to rebound. The absurd amount of innings he's pitched since 2000 has me questioning his long term durability. If someone is willing to overpay, hell, I'd immediately consider it.

We've all seen how few innings our bullpen has pitched under Guillen's control. Even without Buehrle's guaranteed 210+IP, Haeger is available to offset McCarthy first year in the rotation. He alone could easily exceed the workload of even Scott Shields out of the bullpen. I wouldn't doubt 100+IP from him. It all depends on how/if Guillen uses Haeger properly.