Jaret Wright to Orioles

Brian

Giving up a reliever who you can control for the next 5-6 seasons, for a SP who was likely to be a FA the next day, is well insane.

The O's are just an absolute mess of a franchise.

I wouldn't rule out Wright bouncing back under Mazzone though, but they could have gotten him for nothing in FA.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
Giving up a reliever who you can control for the next 5-6 seasons, for a SP who was likely to be a FA the next day, is well insane.

I wouldn't rule out Wright bouncing back under Mazzone though, but they could have gotten him for nothing in FA.

It should prove the willingness of teams to avoid dealing with pitchers in the FA market.

Is there any doubt Wright would have commanded a similar salary (perhaps more) over more years?

I don't agree giving up Britton was necessary, but I understand their logic. If they didn't give up their young reliever, chances they outbid other clubs for Jaret Wright were minimal.

If Wright days away from FA = Britton, I EXPECT Williams to receive a quality package for our pitchers. Considering the market for starters, there's no excuse otherwise.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)

They're getting Wright, a starter, for $3 million. All they had to give up was a reliever. The O's really need starting pitching, and they just got themselves a guy who'll probably be decent and may even put up a semi-good year under his old pitching coach. Good deal for Baltimore.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
They're getting Wright, a starter, for $3 million. All they had to give up was a reliever. The O's really need starting pitching, and they just got themselves a guy who'll probably be decent and may even put up a semi-good year under his old pitching coach. Good deal for Baltimore.

If he were average, or even pretty close, I'd agree, but he's been a good sight below average over most of his career. I don't see why you think he'll "probably be decent". You have nearly as good a chance with any retread. (Just look at what they got from Bruce Chen for a year.) If we were talking about a young erratic pitcher, okay, it might be a good risk. But Wright's not sticking around any longer than a year, unless he's bad enough to be really cheap. Why give up anything of value for that?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)

This is exactly what they are banking on,which in my opinion just isnt going to happen.Mazzone has gotten a reputation for being the messiah.He is one of the best ever but i dont think he will rejuvenate Wrights career twice.