What to do with Neal

beck72

Some people are speculating that Cotts could be traded. Realistically, that isn't going to happen. Some team would have to come in with an overwhelming offer. That isn't likely. The only teams that will overpay for a LH reliever are teams with a lot of cash and are perennial playoff contenders. Neal's horrible 2nd half of 2006 will scare those teams away. Other GM's will come with ridiculous low ball offers that KW should laugh at.

Not to mention who could replace Neal. LH relievers are hard to come by. Jamie Walker will be very expensive, and he could go to virtually any team in the majors. Boone Logan probably isn't ready. So for what the sox could get in return for Neal, and the cost it would take to get a replacement, a trade probably isn't worth it. And what happens if Thornton has trouble. The sox would be back to square one with Neal gone.

Can Neal bounce back and come near his 2005 and 1st half of 2006? Who knows [iMO, the workload of 05, coupled with the busy 1st half of 2006 when Neal had to pick up the slack left by Cliff not being reliable contributed to Neal's 2nd half drop.] But it's more likely than the sox picking up someone new to come in and put up those same numbers. Neal's 1st half was very respectable, posting a sub .300 ERA. It's his horrible 2nd half that most of us remember.

For my money, Neal should stay. And have an eRA for '07 near 3.00 like his 1st half of 06. 2005 may have been a career yr for Neal. But something close to what he did then would still be very valuable

Nothing yet.

I don't like him a whole lot, but as of now our bullpen is still rusty. If KW can somehow add Jamie Walker and someone else, I'm all for it, but not yet.

His year was indeed terrible, but in 60-70 IP's anything can happen. He's just as likely to revert back to his 05 form as he is to pitch like he did in 06 next year.

Send him and Gload packing to the reds for Chris Denorfia or to the yankees for Melky Cabrera, both teams need BP help and a 1B. Gload already has the ring why not go out there and play 1B full time, i think he would put up Mark Grace like stats.

Mackowiak can play 1B in a pinch along with Thome & JD, and Rogo is always a phone call away at AAA.

If KW really wants that "nasty BP" he speaks of he will sign Walker and Speier and give Haeger the swing man role, and then the only question marks for '07 and beyond are health. Hopefully Logan + Perez + Day + Marshall and Long will continue to develop.

Honestly, unless he's badly hurt, I still think that the best option as a 2nd Lefty may actaully be Logan. Cotts is nearly to Arbitration, which means his cost will start going up a lot in the next couple years, and he still has significant trade value after his 05 campaign. Logan is also several million dollars cheaper than bringing in a FA like Walker would be, money which I would rather see spent on 1 m ore Righty setup man.

Having seen Logan pitch, I still think he has the stuff to make it in the big leagues, he just needs to get his head in the right place and learn how to not be scared/just throw strikes when he faces people. That's something that can be overcome. And happily, he'd only be our #2 option out of the bullpen for lefties, since we still have the guy firing the cannon from the left side.

You stick another experienced righty setup man in that bullpen to go along with the 3 flamethrowers, and stick in Haeger and Logan as your last-guys out, and I think you do surprisingly well.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
trade iguchi & dye to the yankees for cano and melky cabrera, then use the money saved from the trade to acquire a proven bullpen cornerstone and ink crede to a long term deal.

By my count, the Yankees already have 3 starting outfielders not including Cabrera (or williams for that matter), and at least 1 DH, if not a couple.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
trade iguchi & dye to the yankees for cano and melky cabrera, then use the money saved from the trade to acquire a proven bullpen cornerstone and ink crede to a long term deal.

Um, why would the Yankees need Iguchi? They have Robinson Cano. And their outfield is set as Balta said. Cabrera will be the 4th outfielder.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)

Dont see Cashman going for that either .You shouldnt ink Crede just yet til his back situation is has gotten better . We still have from now til the end of the 07 season to see how his back turns out .

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Dont see Cashman going for that either .You shouldnt ink Crede just yet til his back situation is has gotten better . We still have from now til the end of the 07 season to see how his back turns out .

The sooner you sign Crede, the lower his cost/year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
Looking at our other options, and knowing Neal can pitch, keep him.

+1

Given Logan's lack of experience and his not-exactly-stellar numbers last season, you keep Neal around until his cost exceeds his performance.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
+1

Given Logan's lack of experience and his not-exactly-stellar numbers last season, you keep Neal around until his cost exceeds his performance.

But...that also adds in the cost of whatever you could get for Neal on the trade market.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
But...that also adds in the cost of whatever you could get for Neal on the trade market.

In his three full seasons in the majors, Cotts has had one stellar season and two pretty bad ones. Given that, I don't see him being worth a significant amount on the trade market, even if he is a LHP. Since '05 showed us that he can pitch well, I'd rather give him another year. Given that Logan was bad last year and that Thornton has a long track record of failure, I think that the Sox need to keep their options open right now. JMO.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)

The post was about what to do with Neal Cotts. Maybe you got the wrong thread

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
In his three full seasons in the majors, Cotts has had one stellar season and two pretty bad ones. Given that, I don't see him being worth a significant amount on the trade market, even if he is a LHP. Since '05 showed us that he can pitch well, I'd rather give him another year. Given that Logan was bad last year and that Thornton has a long track record of failure, I think that the Sox need to keep their options open right now. JMO.

Well said. Thornton could be a one yr wonder, and then the sox would be back to square one with no reliable LHP for the pen. Though I do want to correct a small part of your post Neal was good for the first half last yr. So he's had 1 1/2 good seasons not just one. He had a 2.95 ERA at the break last yr, which I linked in my 1st post.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Keep him unless you can get something very nice in return. He's definitely not a guy I want to give away.

Few teams will overpay for Neal with his horrible 2nd half of 06 and only 1 consistent season. Most teams will try and low ball KW. He shouldn't and probably won't bite.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
The post was about what to do with Neal Cotts. Maybe you got the wrong thread

Well said. Thornton could be a one yr wonder, and then the sox would be back to square one with no reliable LHP for the pen. Though I do want to correct a small part of your post Neal was good for the first half last yr. So he's had 1 1/2 good seasons not just one. He had a 2.95 ERA at the break last yr, which I linked in my 1st post.

Few teams will overpay for Neal with his horrible 2nd half of 06 and only 1 consistent season. Most teams will try and low ball KW. He shouldn't and probably won't bite.

First of all, I seriously disagree on the idea that a guy whipping it up there at 98 from the left hand side will regress next year. I just don't see Thornton doing that at all.

Secondly, look what the Red Sox gave up for Javy Lopez. No, not the catcher. People will give up a ton for lefty relief pitching, even if it is off a down year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
First of all, I seriously disagree on the idea that a guy whipping it up there at 98 from the left hand side will regress next year. I just don't see Thornton doing that at all.

Secondly, look what the Red Sox gave up for Javy Lopez. No, not the catcher. People will give up a ton for lefty relief pitching, even if it is off a down year.

Why not? Thornton was out of options and worth Joe Borchard when he arrived in Tucson in March. He couldn't break out of the minor leagues until age 27. And when he finally got his break, he responded with a below-average and poor seasons in Seattle. He was bad for most of his career, so why is he a lock to pitch well again in '07?

The Sox have three lefty relievers. One of them wasn't very good in his rookie year and the other two have had very inconsistent careers. In other words, this part of the bullpen is a huge question mark. It seems to me that trading any of them away isn't a good option at this point.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Why not? Thornton was out of options and worth Joe Borchard when he arrived in Tucson in March. He couldn't break out of the minor leagues until age 27. And when he finally got his break, he responded with a below-average and poor seasons in Seattle. He was bad for most of his career, so why is he a lock to pitch well again in '07?

The Sox have three lefty relievers. One of them wasn't very good in his rookie year and the other two have had very inconsistent careers. In other words, this part of the bullpen is a huge question mark. It seems to me that trading any of them away isn't a good option at this point.

Well the same can be said about Walker too .He was 27 going on 28 when he made his debute with KC and hes been ok.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Honestly, unless he's badly hurt, I still think that the best option as a 2nd Lefty may actaully be Logan. Cotts is nearly to Arbitration, which means his cost will start going up a lot in the next couple years, and he still has significant trade value after his 05 campaign. Logan is also several million dollars cheaper than bringing in a FA like Walker would be, money which I would rather see spent on 1 m ore Righty setup man.

Having seen Logan pitch, I still think he has the stuff to make it in the big leagues, he just needs to get his head in the right place and learn how to not be scared/just throw strikes when he faces people. That's something that can be overcome. And happily, he'd only be our #2 option out of the bullpen for lefties, since we still have the guy firing the cannon from the left side.

You stick another experienced righty setup man in that bullpen to go along with the 3 flamethrowers, and stick in Haeger and Logan as your last-guys out, and I think you do surprisingly well.

I don't know about that Balta, his WHIP was a point higher than the one that got Cliff Politte released. They hit .424 against him and he walked nearly 8 batters per 9 IP. His September outings against Cleveland and Oakland are indellibly imprinted in my mind. The kid just could not throw his stuff in the strike zone so he either walked the hitter or tossed a batting practice cookie. He's got a lot to prove to stick in the bigs.