GM meetings are today

GreatScott82

The Score keeps on mentioning that the Sox want to improve the SS and CF possition. And Offman brought up the Vizquel and Rowand thing again. Take it for what its worth....

I expect KW to make 1 huge splash this offseason. We all know he doesn't want Detroit to be the main talk of the offseason with the aqcuisition of Sheffield.

Expect the rumor wires to go off the hook these next few days.... stay tuned.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Something will go down soon involving KW if history is any guide.

And I hope to God it doesn't involve CF.

I also think one more full season out at CF can do wonders for BA. However, Ozzie just doesn't have patience for him. (look at how many times Mackowiack was out there). So I wouldn't be suprised if KW lands a new LF and CF very soon.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
It sounds like Vernon Wells is out there... just sayin.

definitely the name that peaks my interest the most, I would love for the Sox to land him, I'm just not sure what the price would be.

Also, is he in the last year of his deal? When would he be a FA?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
It sounds like Vernon Wells is out there... just sayin.

It also sounds like Toronto is looking to add a bat, not subtract one, but who can say.

I will say that I enjoy the thought of seeing Hafner try to find a way to double into the gaps with an outfield of Wells, Anderson, Dye.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
definitely the name that peaks my interest the most, I would love for the Sox to land him, I'm just not sure what the price would be.

Also, is he in the last year of his deal? When would he be a FA?

Yup in 08 he baecomes f/a .Rotoworld speculates Beltran type money .Dont forsee KW trying that out .

Its more likely that KW would try for Crawford instead .Hes signed through 08 with club options for 09-10 and Crawford is cheap compared to whats out there .

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Score keeps on mentioning that the Sox want to improve the SS and CF possition. And Offman brought up the Vizquel and Rowand thing again. Take it for what its worth....

I expect KW to make 1 huge splash this offseason. We all know he doesn't want Detroit to be the main talk of the offseason with the aqcuisition of Sheffield.

Expect the rumor wires to go off the hook these next few days.... stay tuned.

George Ofman's doesn't bring anything to the table. The winter meetings usually have more action, but I read the Phillies are going to trade Burrell for a package including their old Prospect Johnny Estrada.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
George Ofman's doesn't bring anything to the table. The winter meetings usually have more action, but I read the Phillies are going to trade Burrell for a package including their old Prospect Johnny Estrada.

Doesn't Burrell have a full no-trade clause? And I do NOT want Vizquel back, Rowand maybe, but only because of past history.

We can do better than those two. Much better.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Doesn't Burrell have a full no-trade clause? And I do NOT want Vizquel back, Rowand maybe, but only because of past history.

We can do better than those two. Much better.

Yes. And reportedly, he's very loathe to waive that clause, although there's some rumblings he may be interested in going to the Bay Area.

Latest Rosenthal:

The White Sox are fielding calls on each of their five veteran starters, and several rival executives believe that GM Ken Williams could move quickly on a trade.

Righties Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez and lefty Mark Buehrle are signed through 2007, while righty Jon Garland is under contract through '08 and righty Jose Contreras through '09.

The Rangers are one potential trade partner; the Sox probably would want one of the Rangers' pitching prospects and another young player in return.

Williams can proceed without restriction in his trade discussions; none of the Sox's starting pitchers has no-trade protection.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6165654

yeah, i dont see us trading for minor leauge tallent without any other sort of subsaquent deal that involves them being spun to upgrade other "holes" we have.

i dont know much about texas and their pitching prospects but ive heard people here mention names like "danks".... can someone shead some light on their top pitching prospects.

also, i wonder what texas would think about giving up michael young.... i dont know if a "potential ace from the white sox" is enough.... probably depends on what else we offer.

/me shurgs

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
Rosenthal is a guy I have always trusted. That could be a bad thing, but I have always liked him.

It will be interesting to see if Williams does in fact make a move quickly. I was sort of under the impression that you should wait to see where the dust settles when the bidding is over for Maz/Zito/Schmidt, and try to get alot out of the losers of those deals, but Williams has not been one to wait around. I have 100% faith in Kenny, and now expect a deal to get done shortly...

It may very well be up to other teams to determine which is the best course. Some team may go all out and offer up prospects/great talent at the start because they'll worry about another team landing Garcia, while other teams may wait until the other 2 big names have been taken off the market just to see if they have a chance.

KW has to set a price and wait for it. If no one meets it, then drop the price a little late in the Winter. If someone meets it early, be aggressive and take it, because the offer could disappear.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
For some reason I still don't think Jose Contreras has a no trade this year, but I know Gene has posted otherwise (and usually he's right 99.9% of the time on stuff like that).

MLB.com

Chicago is Jose Contreras' kind of town.

And it will be his home through at least 2009.

Prior to taking the field for their Spring Training finale against the Atlanta Braves on Saturday, the White Sox announced the signing of the veteran right-hander to a three-year, $29 million contract extension.

"It's been a long process," said general manager Ken Williams. "We had a number in mind, we had a length, a term in mind. Basically, it was whether Jose and his agent were going to understand our position enough to want to come back at those numbers."

There is no option at the end of the deal, which does include a no-trade clause for 2007.

What did this article really tell us that we didnt already know ? Its not rocket science that alot of teams can afford 1 of our starters so alot of teams could be potential trade partners .All this guy did was reitterate whats already been said by other reporters .This article was just a little bit vague at best .

But it does make you think .

So who do we like from the Rangers SP prospects? I'm thinking John Danks, and as for the young player, well it'll be hard to get someone like Young obviously, but there's Joaquin Arias, albeit his bat certainly isn't ready yet.

But I've been long saying Texas is a good trading fit for us, and I expect something to get done here, especially if they can't re-sign Vince Padilla who wants $10M a season, but will probably settle for something like 4/32.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
So who do we like from the Rangers SP prospects? I'm thinking John Danks, and as for the young player, well it'll be hard to get someone like Young obviously, but there's Joaquin Arias, albeit his bat certainly isn't ready yet.

But I've been long saying Texas is a good trading fit for us, and I expect something to get done here, especially if they can't re-sign Vince Padilla who wants $10M a season, but will probably settle for something like 4/32.

Danks would be a nice project for Coop to work with .Could have a chance in 08 with with up to 3 starters heading to FA .