GM meetings are today

GreatScott82

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Trading one of our starting pitchers for prospects would be a major mistake if we don't have another move in mind. The American League is getting stronger by the second, and we need to start adding and not subtracting major league talent.

Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota have built themselves from within, and outside due to favorable trades involving prospects. These teams are growing stronger because they've invested time and patience into the development of players.

Lance Broadway, Kyle McCulloch, Oneli Perez are probably our top three pitchers entering next season. Two are mere clones of one another, Perez is a AA reliever. Wouldn't it be smart to have some sort of contigency plan available within the next several seasons if starters seek the FA route? Crawford doesn't help us much there.

You should know as well as everyone else our offense was hardly the problem last season. Was it Balta or Tlak that posted a grid detailing how our offense in 06' was, contrary to belief, more consistent in scoring runs than 05'? There were fewer 0-1 runs games, higher output, less inconsistency all together. It was our pitching in 2006 which should carry a high percentage of blame. This area of the team should be the primary focus of Williams' trades.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

For what its worth and I have not posted here in awhile. I believe Mike North is George Offmans source. Today Mike North (at around 6;10 this morning) reported that his sources and he says they are very reliable and credible within the sox org have claimed they are hot after Visquel (who is almost as old as I am but solves the leadoff spot) and Rowand. It is believed that Rowand is tops on their list as both KW and JR are big advocates. Take it for what it is. Quite frankly I would love it. I hate Andersen, always did, always will. Just reporting what I heard. Now I will just let you youngsters fight it out for how great andersen will become. I am sure you all know.

QUOTE(quickman @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
For what its worth and I have not posted here in awhile. I believe Mike North is George Offmans source. Today Mike North (at around 6;10 this morning) reported that his sources and he says they are very reliable and credible within the sox org have claimed they are hot after Visquel (who is almost as old as I am but solves the leadoff spot) and Rowand. It is believed that Rowand is tops on their list as both KW and JR are big advocates. Take it for what it is. Quite frankly I would love it. I hate Andersen, always did, always will. Just reporting what I heard. Now I will just let you youngsters fight it out for how great andersen will become. I am sure you all know.

i dont even know what to think of that quagmire.

QUOTE(quickman @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)

I could live with Vizquel. It makes sense, as he could be a good addition atop the order while playing solid defense and producing consistent offense.

cohen_sacha_baren256.jpg

Rowand?......not so much.

I'd be more open to trading Anderson if he were already given a fullseason of consistent AB's to prove himself. Atleast 500. Guillen benching him every other day doesn't help. If by the end of the 2008 season it's obvious Anderson is another bust prospects, THEN Williams can reacquire Rowand. Just give him an opportunity.

And if this logic just falls by Williams and he's intent on picking up Rowand, how about adding someone he shouldn't have let go--Fabio Castro? He would be useful in our bullpen alongside Cotts and Thornton.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
I could live with Vizquel. It makes sense, as he could be a good addition atop the order while playing solid defense and producing consistent offense.

cohen_sacha_baren256.jpg

Rowand?......not so much.

I'd be more open to trading Anderson if he were already given a fullseason of consistent AB's to prove himself. Atleast 500. Guillen benching him every other day doesn't help. If by the end of the 2008 season it's obvious Anderson is another bust prospects, THEN Williams can reacquire Rowand. Just give him an opportunity.

And if this logic just falls by Williams and he's intent on picking up Rowand, how about adding someone he shouldn't have let go--Fabio Castro? He would be useful in our bullpen alongside Cotts and Thornton.

We'll find out about BA this spring training .Didnt Ozzie already say that CF will be an open try-out with Owens and Sweeney competing with BA ?

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
We'll find out about BA this spring training .Didnt Ozzie already say that CF will be an open try-out with Owens and Sweeney competing with BA ?

Also a long shot in Luis Terrero.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
He sucked a lot at baseball.

If only it were that simple. Guys like Joe Crede and Jon Garland "sucked a lot at baseball," too, their first year. Somethin' is clearly going on with Anderson that hasn't been made public yet.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 02:05 AM)
If only it were that simple. Guys like Joe Crede and Jon Garland "sucked a lot at baseball," too, their first year. Somethin' is clearly going on with Anderson that hasn't been made public yet.

You also have to take in account that both Crede and Garland had much more slack because at that period in time in their development the White Sox were just trying to compete for the division.

Its different for Anderson because they plugged him in at CF on a defending championship team. The fact of the matter is after 2007, nobody knows what direction the White Sox will go. With multiple players heading into free agency after the 2007 season, KW and JR both know they need to be as strong as possible for THIS season. This is why IMO we are hearing talks about getting Rowand back or possibly a new CF. I'm not saying BA won't be a good player in this league one day, its just that KW is probably worried that the one day might not be in 2007.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)

you also have to think that heightened organizational expectations have changed the evaluational process on BA. Garland and Crede werent replacing players who were integral parts of the previous season World Series team. They had less pressure on them to grow and mature, and Garland and Crede took plenty of time to develop. The organization wants titles now, and if BA's maturization process into the major leagues is going to prevent the current core from competing for a world series, then I think they are going to go another direction.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
You also have to take in account that both Crede and Garland had much more slack because at that period in time in their development the White Sox were just trying to compete for the division.

Its different for Anderson because they plugged him in at CF on a defending championship team. The fact of the matter is after 2007, nobody knows what direction the White Sox will go. With multiple players heading into free agency after the 2007 season, KW and JR both know they need to be as strong as possible for THIS season. This is why IMO we are hearing talks about getting Rowand back or possibly a new CF. I'm not saying BA won't be a good player in this league one day, its just that KW is probably worried that the one day might not be in 2007.

Ha, similar thought, different delivery. :D

Good points Greatscott and Kyyle. I've definitely considered that. That could very well atleast be part of the reason it appears KW/Ozzie seem so set on finding a replacement. I'm not exactly sure where Ozzie is coming from, but I have a hard time believing Kenny would be so quick to give up on Anderson. Kenny had been talkin' the guy up long before this past season. Even said Brian made it easier to trade guys like Chris Young and Rowand. That's how much faith he had in the kid. And now after one year, a year that he was misused by his manager, you're lookin' to trade/replace him? I don't buy it. We didn't miss the playoffs this past year because of Anderson bat, or lack thereof. Hell, that's not even in my top 10 list of reasons why we didn't make the playoffs. This team has FAR more pressing needs than an upgrade in CF.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Thats right ,I forgot about him .Any thoughts on who win the CF job?

Juan Pierre or another veteran wouldn't surprise me. This team has it's last best chance at another ring in 2007. With Thome and Contreras's age and several big time contracts coming up (Crede, Buehrle, Dye, Garcia) the group will probably not stay together much longer, even under the best circumstances. They have to go with a guy they know can do the job, not guys they hope can do the job. Even if they go with the kids (platoon Sweeney and Anderson) out of spring training, I don't see them sticking with either if they struggle, KW will get a journeyman like a David DeJesus or Reed Johnson type who can field the position adequately and won't kill the lineup like last year.

As Ozzie likes to say, 'this isn't the Arizona Fall League'.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
Juan Pierre or another veteran wouldn't surprise me. This team has it's last best chance at another ring in 2007. With Thome and Contreras's age and several big time contracts coming up (Crede, Buehrle, Dye, Garcia) the group will probably not stay together much longer, even under the best circumstances. They have to go with a guy they know can do the job, not guys they hope can do the job. Even if they go with the kids (platoon Sweeney and Anderson) out of spring training, I don't see them sticking with either if they struggle, KW will get a journeyman like a David DeJesus or Reed Johnson type who can field the position adequately and won't kill the lineup like last year.

Its kind of catch 22 .You have to play and win for 07 but it would be nice if BA or Ryan could play well enuff to stay in and get ab's because of the F/A situations in 08 .

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)

David Dejesus has played for one team. He is VERY good, and VERY cheap. Dayton Moore will not let him go.

Reed Johnson has played for one team. He had a good season. He is not a journeyman.

And the Ozzie quote: that is why some think he is a total jackass. Playing worthless veterans over young guys is stupid.