2008 Presidential Announcement Thread.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
It makes sense for the Democrats to focus on it over the next two years. In the last year, the Democrat fundraising apparatus has moved from big donors and corporate interests to more small donations from ordinary citizens. It's been a focus of Howard Dean's 50 state strategy.

It's also a smart move because focusing on middle and working class families helps to counter the "liberal elite" persona that the right wing noise machine has created so effectively.

The liberal elite will rule the day. I'm more sure of that than the conservative hardliners ruling the GOP.

As promised....

"Well, first off I wouldnt hold my breath expecting to get to vote for him in the primary........he was a sh_tty governor so I would be a little worried about him being a PResident.......especially right now with the Iowa Board of Regents so messed up!! So, if you can ttell yet ------- I wouldnt vote for him if he ran for dog catcher!!!!"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Someone in the Giuliani capaign accidentally left a 140 page detailed plan for the next 12 months of his presidential campaign lying around in a hotel room. The NY Daily News was the first paper to get their hands on it.

"accidentally"

like G. Gordon Liddy was "accidentally" in the watergate hotel...

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
not

All of the final numbers from 2006 are not yet available, but I can give you some numbers from the first part of 2006.

In the 2005-2006 election cycle, the DNC raised a total of US $61,141,823, all of it hard money. Most contributions came from small donors, giving less than $250, who accounted for over 80% of total dollars raised in the the first half of 2006.

Also, when comparing the "18 month" point (i.e. the year and a half right after a national election, not including the final few months), for each of the past 4 election cycles, the amount given to the DCCC, DSCC, and DNC by small donors has increased for each organization in each successive cycle.

From the data I'm looking at, this is not the case with the Republican organizations, which saw significant declines in small donor activity between 2004 and 2006.

It's also worth noting that comparison in all of these cases can and will be difficult due to the changing of the laws after the McCain Feingold act, which banned soft money donations after 2002, and the rise of outside 527 or 501c organizations like Moveon, Actblue, the Swift Boat liars, the NRA, and so on, which can contribute significantly to elections and may receive much larger chunks of their funding from small donors, the data for which I simply don't have and am probably too lazy to look up right now.

Edited by Balta1701

While other candidates are using well-located announcements and Congressional issue stands to make them stand out from the crowd, Gov. Richardson seems to be playing the foreign policy route. After bringing a North Korean delegation to Santa Fe last month to talk nukes, he is now in Sudan trying to get UN peacekeepers access to Darfur.

I am not sure if either meeting will actually work, but, he is making a clear distinction between political mediation (which he obviously favors) and going the tough-guy route.

Slate update...

Democrats

Officially announced (date of announcement)

• Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards (Dec. 28, 2006)

• Retiring Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack (Nov. 30, 2006)

• Ohio Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (Dec. 12, 2006)

• Former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel (April 17, 2006)

Established exploratory committee (date of filing with the Federal Election Commission)

• Delaware Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (has publicly announced he plans to file with the Federal Election Commission later this month to establish a committee)

Widely mentioned

• Civil Rights activist Al Sharpton

• Retired Gen. Wesley Clark of Arkansas

• New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton

• Connecticut Sen. Christopher J. Dodd

• Former Vice President Al Gore of Tennessee

• Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry

• Illinois Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record)

• New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson

Officially not running (date of announcement)

• Former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner (Oct. 12, 2006)

• Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold (news, bio, voting record) (Nov. 11, 2006)

• Former South Dakota Sen. Tom Daschle (Dec. 2, 2006)

• Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh (news, bio, voting record) (Dec. 15, 2006)

Republicans

Officially announced

• Attorney John H. Cox of Illinois (March 9, 2006)

Established exploratory committee (date of filing with the Federal Election Commission)

• Arizona Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) (Nov. 16, 2006)

• Former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (Nov. 20, 2006)

• Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record) (Dec. 1, 2006)

• Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy G. Thompson (Dec. 13, 2006)

• Former Virginia Gov. James S. Gilmore III ( Jan. 9, 2007)

• Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (Jan. 3, 2007)

Widely mentioned

• Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich of Georgia

• Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record)

• Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee

• California Rep. Duncan Hunter (news, bio, voting record)

• Former New York Gov. George E. Pataki

• Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo

Officially not running (date of announcement)

• FormerTennessee Sen. Bill Frist (Nov. 29, 2006)

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Dems are having a hard time deciding on a spot for the 2008 convention - Denver or New York. Given that Colorado and the mountain west generally are the new frontier for the Dems, and NY is either a given for the Dems or a given for Giuliani, I think Denver is the better choice for them. Plus after the GOP had it in the Big Apple in 2004, it seems like the Dems are just following them around.

And it's Denver. The right choice.

Obama is hinting at announcing very soon.

"I will have something to say about that fairly soon," Obama told Bob Schieffer. "Obviously, there's been a lot of talk. It's something that I've been considering. I've said I've been considering it. And we'll be making an announcement fairly soon."

When pressed for a more specific timetable, Obama only smiled and said, "It will be pretty soon."

Political Wire has heard a rumor and is noting that Oprah's guest this Wednesday is listed as "Check back later".

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
If Bush's escalation plan is not successful, I wonder how the dark-horse GOP candidates who are now speaking against putting more troops in Iraq will fare with GOP primary voters. Some food for thought:

Brownback, Paul, maybe Hagel gets in.

Personally, I think that by far the biggest effect of the Iraq war is going to be to kill McCain's candidacy, and maybe knock off Clinton's while it's at it.