2008 Presidential Announcement Thread.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
No big surprise there. If he wasn't leading his home state at the early stages of the contests, he had zero chance anyway.

He was getting crushed here. People liked him as governor, but he sure as heck wasn't anyone's favorite for president.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
He was getting crushed here. People liked him as governor, but he sure as heck wasn't anyone's favorite for president.

haha idk how many people liked him. I always heard a lot of complaints about him....more complaints about him than Bush for a while.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)

Obama = screwed.

On a serious note...how much do people think endorsements by other political figures count these days? I remember back in 03 there was a big hoopla when Gore endorsed Dean, and people who are big-name-local folks seem to be able to have big impacts in their districts, but there don't seem to be many national figures who could make a big splash with an endorsement. Dubya clearly could I'd figure, but beyond that, what's left? Ohhh boy, the former Senate Minority leader who couldn't even hold his own seat, let alone bring about a majority, endorsed Obama. I just don't see why this helps him.

What is this guy 9 years old?

Romney: Marriage needed for school fixes

GREENVILLE, S.C -- Republican Mitt Romney recited a schoolyard ditty Thursday to underscore his argument that traditional marriage is essential for improving education.

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage," the presidential hopeful told a crowd of about 175 people gathered at a private club.

Read the rest of the article: LINK

Edited by BigSqwert

• 2 weeks later...

Well, either Wes Clark thinks that his late start in 03 worked so well that he might as well do the same thing this time, or he's not going to be in the game.

Just before he concluded his talk, he said, "I'm not a candidate for President, but I haven't said I won't run". He asked for questions and I couldn't help but be the first to ask, "Wes, is there any chance during the next 3 months you will declare your candidacy?" Everybody chuckled knowing I had supported Wes in 2004. He said no. He told the room that when you're a candidate, they discount your views on everything. He was very happy to discuss policy with high level people because they took him seriously. He knew that would change the minute he declared. I believe he wants his views to be heard loud and clear pertaining to Iran and Iraq NOW and for him to declare would remove him from the lists of those respected individuals whom the Democratics continually call upon for their policy views and opinions. And this is too critical a time to not hear his opinions. I honestly believe he can help effect policy by being in the private sector right now but speaking up on the issues that he is passionate about.

More and more bad news leaking out of the McCain camp.

John McCain's Obama- esque remarks about our "wasted" resources in Iraq weren't the only comments that landed him in hot water after a recent appearance on Late Night with David Letterman. Many of his staff were blindsided by his campaign announcement. And several aides were so outraged that they've quit, say Republican insiders.

"They're imploding—he had a game plan that had him announcing much later in the year," one top Republican aide tells Radar, adding that the campaign is "in serious trouble ... Romney's plan and Rudy's jump in the polls caused him to scrap his plans completely. When you do that, and you're not prepared for it, the staff goes crazy. Some of his coordinators in different states were pulling their hair out!"

Latest Rasmussen report on the Dem candidates. Nothing new in the order of things really - Clinton first, Obama 2nd, then Edwards, and Richardson a distant 4th. Biden didn't even rate a mention as to his percentage, if any.

What is more interesting is the latter part of the article, about how "known" various candidates are, and within that, what the favorable/unfavorable percentages are. Looks to me like Hilary is most likely to fall off, given the 48% unfavorable. Richardson and Biden are still only even recognized by a minority of respondants, so they have a lot of movement left in them, if they stick it out. But there is still a lot of time left.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
Biden is really a nonstarter IMO. Richardson has the potential to jump to the top tier easily actually, but it seems like his campaign is more about saving his push for within say six months of the first vote cast.

Agreed on all counts.

I don't like Biden, though I do appreciate that he signed on to a British-India type plan for Iraq and the split, which Richardson has indicated interest in as well.

I'm of the belief that Richardson is trying to become an attractive Vice- Presidential option. He has more credentials than any other contender in the field, but I don't think primary voters will throw their lot in with him. It is unfair, yet probably true. Richardson along w/ Mark Warner are good bets to be Dem VP.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:16 AM)
I'm of the belief that Richardson is trying to become an attractive Vice- Presidential option. He has more credentials than any other contender in the field, but I don't think primary voters will throw their lot in with him. It is unfair, yet probably true. Richardson along w/ Mark Warner are good bets to be Dem VP.

I think Evan Bayh has already been promised that job, which is why he bowed out really, really early.

Mrs. Bill Clinton.

And truthfully, I'm not so sure Obama wouldn't take a chance on him, but in reality, Obama has to go with someone "southern" and "moderate" to maximize the electoral college. Bayh doesn't have enough "southern roots" for Obama, but he certainly moderates Mrs. Bill Clinton.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 02:40 AM)
I'll agree w/ that, and if I were a Dem adviser, I would lobby hard for Warner to be VP if Obama wins the nomination.

VA would be a big state to "carry"... so yea, he'd be a likely choice.