2008 Presidential Announcement Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
This is the exact quote from a Yahoo news article:

LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070404/ap_on_...r/obama_money_7

Wow. I must say, if that's true, then $25M is that much more impressive.

I think this is going to be a very interesting primary season for both parties.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 10:17 AM)
This is the exact quote from a Yahoo news article:

LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070404/ap_on_...r/obama_money_7

Ok, yeah, now I'm even more impressed, and I didn't think that was possible. Obama draws in more online donors than Hillarity gets in total, and Obama essentially outraises her without taking PAC money. Now all that's left is actually catching up in the polls.

The interesting thing out of all of this was the amount of money raised by Romney, and the huge vault to the forefront that Edwards took after his wife's cancer announcement. Also I think McCain miscalculated that his name power would mean he didn't have to work as hard in the beginning.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
The interesting thing out of all of this was the amount of money raised by Romney, and the huge vault to the forefront that Edwards took after his wife's cancer announcement. Also I think McCain miscalculated that his name power would mean he didn't have to work as hard in the beginning.

One interesting note on Romney is that it appears a significant chunk of his advantage over the other 2 guys may in fact be thanks to the mormon church. And he also has quite a fortune of his own money if he wants to spend it...he loaned himself like $2.5 million last quarter already.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
One interesting note on Romney is that it appears a significant chunk of his advantage over the other 2 guys may in fact be thanks to the mormon church. And he also has quite a fortune of his own money if he wants to spend it...he loaned himself like $2.5 million last quarter already.

Ah, taking a play from the John Kerry playbook. Wonderful.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)

I always think that the second quarter fundraising total is the one that matters. With the exception of 2000, the nominee to be in an open primary hasn't led in fundraising in the first quarter since the 80s.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
I always think that the second quarter fundraising total is the one that matters. With the exception of 2000, the nominee to be in an open primary hasn't led in fundraising in the first quarter since the 80s.

That would make sense. I know Romney won't be the Republician nominee. As a matter of a fact, I would be shocked to see him get out of the single digits.

I would also expect to see Mitt's fundraising dry up after this quarter for the most part. Chances are he got the max he can get from most of the people in his camp who will donate money. McCain's numbers look better than they seem. A lot of small donors. That's a big plus actually.

Moveon.org hosted a virtual town hall meeting online, with the 7 announced Dem candidates for Prez, focusing on their views on the Iraq situation. Here are links to the transcript (you can click to each candidate if you want, from the top), and an article with a few highlights.

Here are the NSS72 highlights...

Richardson is still my favorite candidate, but I must say I found parts of his Iraq plan a bit lacking. I think he'll have a hard time trying to put together a revenue-sharing government if we've promised to move out entirely.

I dislike Biden in almost every way, but I have to admit I think he's got the best plan of anyone I've heard on either side of the aisle for Iraq's future.

Hilary comes off as being having plenty of polish but little in the way of substance. Its weird, she's by far the best chance for a female candidate in history, but everything she does is whiney and ineffectual.

Obama sounds pretty solid, I like what I hear from him so far on Iraq. He doesn't layer all his statements in the B.S. that most of the other candidates do. He also comes out and says that if Bush vetoes the current funding plan (the one with withdrawal dates), that he is commited to finding the 67 votes in the Senate to override the veto. That's a pretty ballsy statement. We'll see what happens.

Edwards, like Clinton, seems more fluff and polish than any real substance.

Senator Dodd, well... seems lost. Like he doesn't even belong.

And Kucinich is Kucinich. Farthest left of the candidates, seems like an honest fellow, but he's idealistic to a fault on Iraq (as on many issues).

McCain seems to be doing better now. I think the NY Times and other certain media outlets criticizing him has greatly helped his image with GOP voters. It's amazing how the NY Times can trash a Republican and within a week that Republican jumps 10% points in primary polls.

"well, if the NY Times is against him he must be doing somethin right"

:P

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
He also comes out and says that if Bush vetoes the current funding plan (the one with withdrawal dates), that he is commited to finding the 67 votes in the Senate to override the veto. That's a pretty ballsy statement. We'll see what happens.

And it's all BS as well, because he can't. But he's going to "lead the charge" and "put up the good fight" all to make himself look good. I hate politics.

So, there has been a lot of talk lately about former TN Senator and actor (currently of Law & Order) Fred Thompson running for the Republican nomination. He recently revealed that he has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, a cancer which is likely non-deadly.

Thompson would of course come in with instant name and face recognition, and some degree of credibility, from his acting career (silly though that may be). I thinking fairly well of him as a Senator. But that was a bunch of years ago, and I do not even really recall his stances on issues. I'm not a huge fan of any of the current GOP candidates, so his entry could be a good injection into that race from my point of view.

What do people think about him running?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
Now this is the McCain I've been waiting to hear from.

I agree. I wonder if he has anything left in the tank at this early stage of the game? (Isn't it silly to even have to phrase this like this???)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
I agree. I wonder if he has anything left in the tank at this early stage of the game? (Isn't it silly to even have to phrase this like this???)

It all depends on the war, honestly. He could be the greatest candidate in history, but tying yourself to a plan that directly results in America losing a war would win out.