Dane Cook, "not funny"? or even plagarist

southsider2k5

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/10/d...y.ap/index.html

Is Dane Cook the funniest man in America?

POSTED: 1:39 p.m. EST, November 13, 2006

Adjust font size:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dane Cook's rise to the pinnacle of standup comedy is undeniable.

HBO has handed him the all-important one-man show, plus the "Tourgasm" series. He has sold out stadium shows that harken back to the '70s, when giants like Steve Martin and Richard Pryor roamed arenas. His albums rank with music stars on the sales charts, he's hosted "Saturday Night Live" multiple times, he was the leading man in the recent film "Employee of the Month."

But is he funny?

That might sound like an absurd question for the biggest name in standup -- and surely a subjective one. But a number of comics and critics are wondering if Cook might be more of an energetic talent and savvy self-promoter than any kind of comedy great.

"Everyone kills this guy," says Jim Breuer, a standup veteran and former "SNL" cast member who hosts a Sirius Satellite Radio show that often includes comedians as guests. "Not one comedian comes on (my show) and says 'I'm so happy for him,' which is weird. ... They can't stand this poor guy."

Breuer acknowledges Cook is a "tremendous performer," but says a lot of comedians "are upset because they really feel this guy has snatched a lot of material" -- the ultimate sin among comics.

Cook has been particularly hounded by accusations that some of his material on his second album, "Retaliation," which debuted last year at No. 4 on the Billboard pop chart, bears similarities to earlier jokes by Louis CK. Cook has denied any plagiarism.

Cook generally brushes aside criticism or even welcomes it by soliciting feedback from his fans and altering his material accordingly. Still, the backlash appears to be mounting, with recent slams from Rolling Stone, Slate.com and Salon.com, and a spoof of Cook by the Fox sketch comedy show "Mad TV."

In July, Cook performed a guest spot at the Rhode Island comedy club Yuk Yuk's, where he was to perform a 20 to 30 minute set before headliner Peter Kelamis. Cook continued past his allotted time despite repeated signals to finish the act and eventually had to be cut off.

Cook wanting to extend his set wasn't remarkable, but the biting criticism from Kelamis was. He later called it "the most arrogant thing that I've ever seen in my life."

The Internet-fueled rise of the Boston-bred, 34-year-old comedian is a well-known part of his identity. In 2002, Cook spent his $25,000 savings to build a robust Web site, DaneCook.com -- an avenue few if any comics then considered. He also set up a MySpace.com page, where he now has over 1.5 million friends.

"I got my balls busted for a long time when I first started the Web site," Cook recently told The Associated Press. "Those same comics that were busting on me were coming back to me five years later and asking 'Hey, how do I set up a MySpace?' "

'It's still seltzer'

Stephen Rosenfield, director of the American Comedy Institute, says Cook's influence on standup is "in selling, as opposed to an artistic impact."

"He's been able to make it without going through the same process that a lot of comics go through, in terms of using the clubs and working their material out that way," says Rosenfield. But, he adds, Cook is "kind of like Perrier water. It's brilliantly bottled, but it's still seltzer."

Cook will sign every last autograph after a show and treats his fans with gracious, even unprecedented respect. This is an essential quality in Cook: earnestness. In the liner notes to "Retaliation," he thanks his parents: "Mom -- I'm right where you always told me I'd be. Dad -- I'm proud to be your son."

The badge of honor among his fans is flashing the "SuFi," or "Superfinger," a hand gesture Cook invented because (as he said in a famous bit) the regular middle finger had lost its impact as an insult. On Cook's MySpace page, there are hundreds of photos of fans with their middle two fingers extended.

This solidarity goes against everything typical of comedy, which generally tries to provoke, criticize, subvert and unsettle -- revealing absurd and sometimes frightening truths. Cook's material -- like his fondness for Burger King, watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher candies, guilt after cheating on a girlfriend -- are predicated on their commonness.

Cook does possess a superior talent for sound effects, which greatly enhance his observations and storytelling. He can deftly impersonate the machine guns in the film "Heat," the creaking sound of a secret passageway opening or the tumble of laundry in the dryer. In one routine, he gives lyrics to a car alarm.

A sometimes overlooked quality in Cook is his boundless energy -- even if you're not laughing, he's a very watchable presence with over-the-top facial gestures and stressed enunciation. The always self-aware Cook describes how watching one of his idols, Johnny Carson, influenced his approach.

"I wouldn't sit there and say I understood a lot of the jokes when I was a little kid, but I just loved Johnny," Cook says. "There's just those certain people that give off an energy. As Redd Foxx once said, 'If you know what makes you likable, anything can be funny.' "

For some, energy and friendliness aren't enough.

"Where are the ... jokes?" wrote Rolling Stone. "How can any comedian get this famous with no jokes?"

That isn't a criticism the most recent standup stars -- Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld -- ever received. Some might say Seinfeld's observational schtick became predictable, or others might be rubbed the wrong way by Chappelle or Rock's racial content -- but few could question their ability to tell jokes. Like it or not, they have material all their own.

Often performing for collegiate audiences, Cook's appeal is generational. His fan base -- the "Dane Train" -- skews toward the youthful MySpace set, and he's careful to insert a hip sensibility to his act.

"When I describe my act, I always tell people 'If you like your iPod Shuffle on random, then you'll like me," Cook says, using the correct MP3 player of choice to describe his standup style.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

i honestly used to like him, the first bit i saw on comedy central way back when. But the more i saw, the more i just felt like it was hard syllables and screaming, and then i'd talk to other people and they'd say the same thing...and it really just led to dislike. Tourgasm was the most godawful show i've seen comics put on ever, going off the first episode.

Up until a recent special of Cook's on HBO (Vicious Circle) I've never seen his act. I can't say I was too impressed.

He comes off as, well, the ghey. Anyone relate to his experience of having a "good cry" every once in awhile? He literally spent five minutes explaining this routine. I felt embarrassed just watching it on TV.

You ever sit through a Family Guy skit where sometimes it continues WAY beyond the point of comic value? A particular episode which comes to mind is Stewie watching Will Ferrel at a theater, then spending several minutes traveling to his house, only to yell at it. This is essentially the same experience as watching Cook. Somtimes its funny, sometimes it isn't.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I'm still not overly familiar with him. A friend of mine LOVES him, thinks he is the funniest thing around. I have chuckled at the little bits I have seen, but nothing has made me search him out. Hell, my friend even gave my two of his albums to check out, and I ended up deleting them before I even listened.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Up until a recent special of Cook's on HBO (Vicious Circle) I've never seen his act. I can't say I was too impressed.

He comes off as, well, the ghey. Anyone relate to his experience of having a "good cry" every once in awhile? He literally spent five minutes explaining this routine. I felt embarrassed just watching it on TV.

You ever sit through a Family Guy skit where sometimes it continues WAY beyond the point of comic value? A particular episode which comes to mind is Stewie watching Will Ferrel at a theater, then spending several minutes traveling to his house, only to yell at it. This is essentially the same experience as watching Cook. Somtimes its funny, sometimes it isn't.

I think I saw the same show. I sat through two bits. I expect to get a half-decent laugh within the first two bits. What sucks is that I was really expecting to enjoy it; I'm pretty easily amused.

He IS energetic. Someone watching it with me was convinced he must have had some coke before going onstage. I don't know why I should be impressed by that.

Otoh, that's one of my favorite Family Guy bits...

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)

The whole point of that skit was to draw it out because EVERYTHING Will Ferrel does is drawn out, ridiculous, totally self-masturabatory and just not funny.

And Dane Cook sucks too. Most guys that depend on a "stage presence" suck ass. The only ones that are any good are the one's who didn't over expose themselves. Nobody talks about how funny Michael Richards (Seinfeld's Kraemer) is because he went no further than a supporting character. After Seinfeld went off, Richards had all the opportunity in the world to whore himself out and use his physical comedy to make millions more. But fact is, physical comedy doesn't work long and it's tiresome. It has no respect with it. There is no hard work involved in it. Stand up comedy is for jokes, not for people to get up on stage, run around, make sound effects and be an asshole.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
The whole point of that skit was to draw it out because EVERYTHING Will Ferrel does is drawn out, ridiculous, totally self-masturabatory and just not funny.

And Dane Cook sucks too.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent -- since they've had Ferrell voice a character on the show, I doubt they think he's terrible. And imo he's usually pretty good, but anyway, back to your main point, I agree about Cook.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent -- since they've had Ferrell voice a character on the show, I doubt they think he's terrible. And imo he's usually pretty good, but anyway, back to your main point, I agree about Cook.

How about all the people The Simpsons have had on their show but have made fun of? And South Park? Maybe they don't hate Will Ferrel, but they were certainly poking at him. Maybe Will Ferrel understands that, as an entertainer, he's liable to be the source of some jokes and he has an open mind about it.

Edit:

One time Kevin Smith even went as far as to say the "ultimate respect" is to be a character on the Simpsons.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
How about all the people The Simpsons have had on their show but have made fun of? And South Park? Maybe they don't hate Will Ferrel, but they were certainly poking at him. Maybe Will Ferrel understands that, as an entertainer, he's liable to be the source of some jokes and he has an open mind about it.

Edit:

One time Kevin Smith even went as far as to say the "ultimate respect" is to be a character on the Simpsons.

Sure, they're ridiculing him. No doubt. But that doesn't mean that their intent was to say that "EVERYTHING Will Ferrel does is drawn out, ridiculous, totally self-masturabatory and just not funny," which is all I'm saying. My take is that they like what he does in general but thought Bewitched was a pos. In other words, they're right. :D

To sum up, I really didn't enjoy Dane Cook.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
i honestly used to like him, the first bit i saw on comedy central way back when.

Same here. The whole mass bit...

I liked him, but now his material just isn't as funny.

I guess it happens. We'll hear about him about as much as we hear about chris rock soon enough...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
I hate to continue the hijack, but Family Guy really sucks now.

I'll go one step further on the hijacking and say that I'm appreciating south park more and more...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
Same here. The whole mass bit...

I liked him, but now his material just isn't as funny.

I guess it happens. We'll hear about him about as much as we hear about chris rock soon enough...

I'll go one step further on the hijacking and say that I'm appreciating south park more and more...

Agreed about South Park. My one complaint is that I don't get why their season's so short. I guess this week's the season finale? That was like a 5 episode season.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Agreed about South Park. My one complaint is that I don't get why their season's so short. I guess this week's the season finale? That was like a 5 episode season.

They usually do their season in halves. So sometime in Jan/Feb im guessing the new episodes will come out.

wow, imagine that... people disagree about comedy.

If you think Dane Cook is the funniest man alive, then ok. He has some of the funniest bits I've ever heard.

If you think Dane Cook is the worst comedian alive, then ok. He has some of the biggest bombs out there too.

The part of the article which I disliked most was in reference to "So where's the joke"? That's the kind of shortsightedness that probably happened when people stopped telling knock knock jokes and moved on to puns... Life is funny. Exaggerations are funny. Stories are funny. Sounds are funny. AMERICA'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS is funny.

Lighten up and laugh...especially Rolling Stone Magazine=the saddest bastards in the world, followed by Pitchforkmedia.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)

If you think Dane Cook is the funniest man alive, then ok. He has some of the funniest bits I've ever heard.

If you think Dane Cook is the worst comedian alive, then ok. He has some of the biggest bombs out there too.

The part of the article which I disliked most was in reference to "So where's the joke"? That's the kind of shortsightedness that probably happened when people stopped telling knock knock jokes and moved on to puns... Life is funny. Exaggerations are funny. Stories are funny. Sounds are funny. AMERICA'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS is funny.

Lighten up and laugh...especially Rolling Stone Magazine=the saddest bastards in the world, followed by Pitchforkmedia.

Agreed. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I myself used to be a Dane Cook fan. I first heard him on that cartoon show on comedy central where they 'acted out' comedians bits. His bit about cheating is great, as is his bit about being upset when you hear tires squeel but never hear the impact. Tourgasm was an aight show, but nothing spectacular. I thought his HBO comedy special was average as well. But really I think most of those HBO shows are average. I love Lewis Black but his latest HBO special wasn't really anything to brag about. Same with Dennis Miller, Whoopi and George Carlins most recent.

South Park might be the third greatest show on television, behind Lost and The Office. For some reason they're the only show that speaks out on major political and cultural issues, often on the unpopular and politically incorrect side. It's very refreshing.

'Come on Tom, we all know, just come out of the closet.'

Classic.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)

I'd love a link to something funny. I have no problem with what you said (exag, stories, sounds -- AFHV, not so much), they certainly CAN be funny, but I've never seen Cook make them work. I was actually hoping a bunch of huge DC fans would bomb the thread with good youtube links. I find it hard to believe anyone can get this big w/o real talent, and I approach him like that, I've just found it dull every time.