Brian Anderson to the Marlins?

DBAHO

Figured this deserved it's own thread, instead of just dumping it in the off-season thread.

From today's Sun Sentinel down in Florida;

Another Marlins target, Brian Anderson, has lost favor with the White Sox and could be had. Look for the Marlins to dangle slick shortstop Robert Andino and a lesser arm.

Andino wasn't in the Marlins top 20 prospects in John Sickels list coming into this season (although that's more due to the depth of the Marlins system as a whole).

He's 22 and had splits of .255/.303/.363 in the PCL for Alberquque this season. For comparisons sake, Joaquin Arias who the Rangers may offer up for Brian Anderson, had splits of .268/.296/.361 in the PCL also this season.

I'd hope to do better for BA quite frankly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 06:28 AM)
Figured this deserved it's own thread, instead of just dumping it in the off-season thread.

Andino wasn't in the Marlins top 20 prospects in John Sickels list coming into this season (although that's more due to the depth of the Marlins system as a whole).

He's 22 and had splits of .255/.303/.363 in the PCL for Alberquque this season. For comparisons sake, Joaquin Arias who the Rangers may offer up for Brian Anderson, had splits of .268/.296/.361 in the PCL also this season.

I agree .IF the Sox want to trade BA theres no rush .Whats the worst that could happen ?We end up keeping a 24 CF who is solid on D and has potential to be a good hitter .Another good situation for the Sox .

From the wording of the blurb, it seems like it may be the writer kind of speculating what an offer would be instead of hearing something.

Now I am really curious what BA did to tick of the Sox. I think has a chance to become a very good player, but it seems like the Sox are set on moving him

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
And if we were to trade Garcia for a nice package, the Vaz deal looks like a pretty good one.

Anderson isn't going to get moved. It doesn't make any sense to begin with, let alone with Williams. Kenny isn't dumb enough to trade Anderson when his trade value is at an all time low.

But aren't we going to have to spend a lot of money to find a new CF now? I don't blame KW for wanting to trade Anderson, as he just sucked last year. However, it would be better off if he's included in a blockbuster trade instead of just for one average to mediocre prospect.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 07:00 AM)
Both of these are horrible trades. HORRIBLE. But I think BA has wore out his welcome on the southside, and it doesn't matter that we are going to get a bag of crap back for him.

I've clearly missed something. Why and how has he worn out his welcome?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
I fully agree. If we are going to make a move in CF, it better be a big upgrade.

Anderson sucked last year, everyone knows that. However, I have a hard time believing he isn't going to improve next season(we did see flashes in the 2nd half, and realistically, it's hard to get any worse than last year) and if the #8 hitter, along with the lead-off hitter step up next year, Anderson wont be too big of an issue, at least for me.

Trading Anderson, or looking for an every day CF for 2007 should not be that high on Williams list this off-season, and I dont think it is.

I agree with everything you said here...except that finding a CF isn't high on his list. At this point, I'll be stunned if Anderson is our starting CF going into next season. I still think we should be looking at trying to pull off a major trade with Tampa for Crawford or for Rocco, especially with the crazy salaries so far.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)

I would agree that if Brian was to be traded it would be for a better return. However, I am not so certain he will be traded. He has a lot of potential and started to show promise in the 2nd half last season. Problem is we seem , at least on this forum, to give up too quickly on our own players and undervalue them besides. Look at Jon Garland as an example.

THANKYOU elrockinmt

Which of these players do most of you enjoy watching now that took the Sox some time to groom?

A. Jon Garland - other than '05 and gettin rocked earlier this year and being awesome later on in the years, nothing but high 4 ERA's

B. Joe Crede - until this year never batted over .261 in a FULL season, defense ended up coming around in a MAJOR way

C. Neal Cotts - 5.65 ERA in first full season, I remember all of you who were giddy about how good he was last year thhen jumped off the cottswagon - will PROBABLY and HOPEFULLY be alot better this year proving why he was a 2nd round pick out of ISU

D. Jose Contreras ( to some extent ) - not a very good pitcher at all ( showed flashes, but still took time), almost singlehandedly put the team on his shoulders on his way to a ring.

E. All of the above

The correct answer is E, so lets take a look how these guys turned out

Why not give Brian Anderson, a CF who makes Defense look effortless and easy, when our team is BASED on defense a chance to shine and let his hitting come around? 1st rounder for some reason or another - lets let him tell us why

P.S. Joe Borchard is the major exception in my post haha

I don't know enough about this prospect to really say. Sometimes its not wise to just look at the guy's splits. If he's a toolsy guy who is coming off a bad year or rebounding from something it could still be a valuable move.

I'm probably the person on here who has some of the most reasonable expectations when it comes to BA, but I sure as heck am not against moving him if we plan to upgrade CF some other way. Also, if Ozzie has said he doesn't like him and he's not going to use I'd move him now anyway before his value is really shot.

I prefer Sweeney to Anderson anyway (even though Anderson is a top notch CF). I have no problem if we keep BA but I've long said to do that we need to have Ozzie willing to stick him in CF for good and we'd also need to upgrade SS/LF and have a very good pitching staff.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
I prefer Sweeney to Anderson anyway (even though Anderson is a top notch CF). I have no problem if we keep BA but I've long said to do that we need to have Ozzie willing to stick him in CF for good and we'd also need to upgrade SS/LF and have a very good pitching staff.

And with the way our minor leagues shape up, combined with the way our FA situation and money situations shape up in the next few years, I think that this is by far a better option. We still have a very good pitching staff on paper, which still runs 6-7 people deep in the rotation. We clearly need an upgrade in LF, and no one in their right mind is disputing that.

But beyond that, one of the key guys we'll probably lose by the start of 2008 happens to be our right fielder, and by the start of 2009 another is our 3rd baseman. Right now, unless Jerry Owens comes out of no where and has a good season next year, we have 3 guys in our organization who can cover those 4 spots. Fields, Anderson, Sweeney, and, well, x where x is not Podsednik.

I think it's smart to keep investing the biggest $ in our pitching staff and using what is left to fill in holes that develop (podsednik). But for that to work, you still need to have a few cheap people to stick into spots who can at least be adequate, and you also have to have backup plans so that you're not caught having no option but spending $20 million a year on a new right fielder.

We move Anderson, and I really think it comes back to bite us hard in the ass. Not only because I think Anderson's going to be a damn good player, and not only because we wouldn't get equal value back for him if we moved him right now, but also because it kills any backup plans we have.