Brian Anderson to the Marlins?

DBAHO

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
If we turn around and trade Anderson for an average prospect, that makes the Vazquez for Young trade turn from horrible to one of the worst in the franchise's history.

Exactly what I was thinking. KW gave up Young before this guy and now he's going to trade him for some fringe prospect. Hell. No.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
If we turn around and trade Anderson for an average prospect, that makes the Vazquez for Young trade turn from horrible to one of the worst in the franchise's history.

It's honestly not a bad trade at all yet. We have to see what one of our starters turns into but the Vaz deal is what right now is allowing us to sit pretty this offseason. We have to wait and see what we net but that deal could turn out to be very good.

QUOTE(Chi Town Sox @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
THANKYOU elrockinmt

Which of these players do most of you enjoy watching now that took the Sox some time to groom?

A. Jon Garland - other than '05 and gettin rocked earlier this year and being awesome later on in the years, nothing but high 4 ERA's

B. Joe Crede - until this year never batted over .261 in a FULL season, defense ended up coming around in a MAJOR way

C. Neal Cotts - 5.65 ERA in first full season, I remember all of you who were giddy about how good he was last year thhen jumped off the cottswagon - will PROBABLY and HOPEFULLY be alot better this year proving why he was a 2nd round pick out of ISU

D. Jose Contreras ( to some extent ) - not a very good pitcher at all ( showed flashes, but still took time), almost singlehandedly put the team on his shoulders on his way to a ring.

E. All of the above

Why not give Brian Anderson, a CF who makes Defense look effortless and easy, when our team is BASED on defense a chance to shine and let his hitting come around? 1st rounder for some reason or another - lets let him tell us why

P.S. Joe Borchard is the major exception in my post haha

The correct answer is E, so lets take a look how these guys turned out

I would have to say Joe Crede is my favorite followed by Garland and he is a close second. I always have a feeling Crede is going to come through in the clutch at the plate and I love his fielding. But yes, E is a good answer too.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)

If you are the GM you have to do what you think is the best for the team. You can't consider "what could look like the worst rade in franchise history" If you follow theat theory of only looking and worrying about how things are perceived in the past you will never be successful at anything. This doesn't mean it's not the worst trade, it just means who can't worry about it. If KW did that he would never make another move after trading for Todd Ritchie!!!

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
If you are the GM you have to do what you think is the best for the team. You can't consider "what could look like the worst rade in franchise history" If you follow theat theory of only looking and worrying about how things are perceived in the past you will never be successful at anything. This doesn't mean it's not the worst trade, it just means who can't worry about it. If KW did that he would never make another move after trading for Todd Ritchie!!!

Or it means that if you trade one of your best hitting prospects in decades (Young) due to having faith in another player (Anderson), you better not give up on him after one year just because your manager is an arrogant idiot.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 06:28 AM)
Figured this deserved it's own thread, instead of just dumping it in the off-season thread.

From today's Sun Sentinel down in Florida;

Andino wasn't in the Marlins top 20 prospects in John Sickels list coming into this season (although that's more due to the depth of the Marlins system as a whole).

He's 22 and had splits of .255/.303/.363 in the PCL for Alberquque this season. For comparisons sake, Joaquin Arias who the Rangers may offer up for Brian Anderson, had splits of .268/.296/.361 in the PCL also this season.

I'd hope to do better for BA quite frankly.

it sounds like a media outlet for a team just thinking up trades, BA is worth more than that, but to the marlins fans, they expect the world for fringe prospects, as does every fan. Its just a thought, nothing more.

Trading Anderson would be a huge mistake, but apparently Ozzie has proven to all of us that he doesn't like him for whatever reason.

We don't have a better in-house option than Anderson (that includes Sweeney and Owens) and I don't see us signing a top-tier FA to fill CF.

We should let the guy develop but I think the Sox are just going to cut bait for whatever reason (and it better be a good one if it comes out).

If the Sox do trade Anderson, I doubt it would be for a fringe prospect. They might throw him in a bigger deal that acquired someone established. I really don't think the organization is as down on him as a lot of people do. I just saw where Walker is getting a 3 year $10 million deal with the Orioles. A 35 year old LOOGY. The price to upgrade the bullpen is skyrocketing. Too bad KW didn't address it last year.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
won't bother me if BA is dealt.

will bother me if they get only scraps for him.

We can't keep wasting Number One draft picks.

And if he was so flipping bad (which he was in the first half) why didn't they do something about this last season and send him back to AAA to fix his stroke and confidence.

Brian has the same hole in his swing that every single player that comes up through our organization has. He has a long looping swing, that can be exploited by low and away pitching. Crede was horrible at it until recently, Rowand couldn't hit it, and was exploited by sliders in his last year here, Borchard couldnt hit anything low and away, you name the prospect and they can hit low and away. We breed softball type hitters, lift and pull and drive for yardage. The first hitter that I have seen come up without that methodology is Ryan Sweeney.

Something seriously needs to be done in the minors with our hitting instruction. I know that rookies struggle, but good lord do ours just drop dead for a few years and take forever to mature as a hitter. We should hire someone that can teach a nice line drive swing. When they come up here and they can make some contact, then you start to work on picking a pitch to drive. Not every single pitch, especially on 2 strikes is a candidate to drive out of the park.

IMO I see something from Brian, I think that with the right hitting instruction and the right mechanics he can be a really good player. I think he has the natural physical skills to hit for average and hit a 280 in this league. But not with his current swing mechanics. I find it funny that the Rangers think that he would be a good fit because he can work with their hitting coach.

We cant give up on this kid just yet, unless someone gives us a kings ransom.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
And if he was so flipping bad (which he was in the first half) why didn't they do something about this last season and send him back to AAA to fix his stroke and confidence.

Probably because he actually had pretty decent 2nd half splits for this season, which shows that what he needs more than anything is time at the plate at the major league level.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it sounds like a media outlet for a team just thinking up trades, BA is worth more than that, but to the marlins fans, they expect the world for fringe prospects, as does every fan. Its just a thought, nothing more.

The Marlins are interested in every young and cheap center fielder on the market. Suggesting a decent middle infield prospect, where the White Sox have only Valido shouldn't be too far off considering how horrid Anderson was last season.

Then again, I think Anderson is safe considering Kenny Williams shouldn't and won't trade him while his value is at rock bottom.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Or it means that if you trade one of your best hitting prospects in decades (Young) due to having faith in another player (Anderson), you better not give up on him after one year just because your manager is an arrogant idiot.

there are many levels to that statement including the manager. However, the basic premise is wrong. Young was not the best hitting prospect in decades. A low average hitter with a high strikeout rate is not the best hitting prospect in decades. Maybe a guy who won an MVP in two different leagues such as Crede would be much higher.

I think Young will be more like the player most people compare him to: Mike Cameron. A very good defensive player who will steal bases and hit homeruns but relagated to support roles because of an all or nothing approach and will move around the league alot.

Not a bad ballplayer but nothing really special either.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
I think Young will be more like the player most people compare him to: Mike Cameron. A very good defensive player who will steal bases and hit homeruns but relagated to support roles because of an all or nothing approach and will move around the league alot.

Not a bad ballplayer but nothing really special either.

Really? Players who play above average defense in CF while stealing 20-30 bases and hit 20-30 HRs plus a crapload of doubles are "really nothing special"?

Heh... shows what I know.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
BTW, Cameron's last season with the Sox, 98, has some interesting similarities to our current CF. Not that they are the same type of player at all, but interesting none the less.

So you're saying we should trade B.A. for another Paul Konerko? Hmm, I could probably go for that.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Really? Players who play above average defense in CF while stealing 20-30 bases and hit 20-30 HRs plus a crapload of doubles are "really nothing special"?

Heh... shows what I know.

There's nothing wrong with that if you like the Earl Weaver all or nothing offense. I just prefer the players with higher ave and OBP (too clog up the bases) to compliment the speed.

Just a matter of preference.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:26 AM)
There's nothing wrong with that if you like the Earl Weaver all or nothing offense. I just prefer the players with higher ave and OBP (too clog up the bases) to compliment the speed.

Just a matter of preference.

But Young is an OBP guy. His isolated plate discipline (OBP - AVG) is close to .100 over his minor league career. His OBP the past two seasons in the minors has been .377 and .363. So really, the only knock on Young is his K's. He's arguably as complete a player as you'll find in all of the minors (or, in recently-graduated-to-the-majors players).

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
But Young is an OBP guy. His isolated plate discipline (OBP - AVG) is close to .100 over his minor league career. His OBP the past two seasons in the minors has been .377 and .363. So really, the only knock on Young is his K's. He's arguably as complete a player as you'll find in all of the minors (or, in recently-graduated-to-the-majors players).

Possibly. I still don't trust guys who K that much in the minors to translate that succees to the majors. It's possible but I still agree with the trade that added starting pitching and the flexibility to trade one of those this year.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
Brian has the same hole in his swing that every single player that comes up through our organization has. He has a long looping swing, that can be exploited by low and away pitching. Crede was horrible at it until recently, Rowand couldn't hit it, and was exploited by sliders in his last year here, Borchard couldnt hit anything low and away, you name the prospect and they can hit low and away. We breed softball type hitters, lift and pull and drive for yardage. The first hitter that I have seen come up without that methodology is Ryan Sweeney.

Something seriously needs to be done in the minors with our hitting instruction.

totally

that slow, loopy swing pisses me off.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 03:45 AM)
Possibly. I still don't trust guys who K that much in the minors to translate that succees to the majors. It's possible but I still agree with the trade that added starting pitching and the flexibility to trade one of those this year.

Well, then we might as well get rid of Fields ASAP.