Gabe Kapler Released

DonkeyKongerko

I saw him whenever he played this year. Excellent defense, good arm, runs well, hustles his ass off. He needs to play more to be effective. Last year he had a pretty good stretch after he came over from the Rangers. Walker was hurt, and Kapler got same ab's. Didn't happen this year, since the Rocky outfielders are playing well. Kapler was number 4. He hits the ball hard, but it doesn't go anywhere. He is a classic case where too much weight lifting hurt his power.

He is better than Rios, IMO. I bet somebody picks him up.

Just saw this on the wire.  I think he is worth more than some of the retreads we have seen released so far this year.  Still I don't know if we have room for another corner OF type guy but I always liked him.  Any thoughts?

Kapler is a good talent. He kind of fell out of love wherever he went in regards to playing time. Give this guy playing time and he'll be alright.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I labeled this guy a "can't miss" when I first saw him. Can't believe all the troubles he's had. I think he's worth another try.

a change of scenery will do him good???? :huh: hell it cant hurt us anymroe than whats out on the field now.... go for it.... take the chance....the problem is who to move.....

Guest hotsoxchick1
Simple, Cut Rios.

not so sure i am ready to give up on rios... i have others in mind though......me thinks that if we did pick him up we drop some top salary instead...... :huh:

not so sure i am ready to give up on rios... i have others in mind though......me thinks that if we did pick him up we drop some top salary instead...... :huh:

Well Jimenez doesn't make much, so who are you thinking of? I know no one would claim Konerko.

I'm intrigued, do tell Michelle.

The Rockies had Greg Vaughn at AAA for free. (Tampa Bay is stuck with his huge contract) He was hitting very well, and with interleague play coming, they thought Vaughn would be better at the DH role than Kapler. Vaughn had a contractual deadline to be brought up or released. Plus, the Rockies were on the hook for half of Kapler's salary, and they were hopeful of trading him during the ten day period in which he was sent down. Didn't happen, so Kapler can be picked up for peanuts.

The Rockies had Greg Vaughn at AAA for free.  (Tampa Bay is stuck with his huge contract)  He was hitting very well, and with interleague play coming, they thought Vaughn would be better at the DH role than Kapler.  Vaughn had a contractual deadline to be brought up or released.  Plus, the Rockies were on the hook for half of Kapler's salary, and they were hopeful of trading him during the ten day period in which he was sent down.  Didn't happen, so Kapler can be picked up for peanuts.

You here that KW...Peanuts. You don't even have to give up your 50 cents. :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
Well Jimenez doesn't make much, so who are you thinking of?  I know no one would claim Konerko. 

i was just thinking out loud jas... if we did pick him up that someone would need to be moved.. and i just figured with the way the s***ty season has progressed closer to the toilet that a salary dumping is coming up...........if we pick him up im thinking that lee or worse yet maggs would be one to go...... not that i am for that mind you but i feel the white flag on the rise here......picking up cheaper in replacement for the more expensive is gonna be happening if we gain anyone....

Well Jimenez doesn't make much, so who are you thinking of?  I know no one would claim Konerko. 

i was just thinking out loud jas... if we did pick him up that someone would need to be moved.. and i just figured with the way the s***ty season has progressed closer to the toliet that a salary dumping is coming up...........if we pick him up im thinking that lee or worse yet maggs would be one to go...... not that i am for that mind you but i feel the white flag on the rise here......picking up cheaper in replacement for the more expensive is gonna be happening if we gain anyone....

I think if the Sox are to give up, Gapler would be a good guy to have, cause he can play all outfield positions and is still relatively young.

I'd be willing to move Carlos Lee and Rios and find out how to get Encarnacion and Kapler into Chicago with Harris and Magglio around him as well as Borchard eventually.

Oh ya, for everyone that talks about how quick Dunn figured it out, remember he's hitting .200 (give or take a few points; thats what it was yesterday before he struck out in the 8th or 9th to Kerry Wood).

If the Sox aren't going to keep Maggs, move him now and really get this rebuilding process going.

Basically if we dump Maggs, then dump anyone else that won't be here after next year as well as Paul Konerko. I'd also be tempted to move Thomas if thats the case as well, cause two years down the road you don't know.

Remember, this is if the Sox want to go on a year and a half rebuilding process. I would probably hang onto Buehrle because at 23 or 24 he is still going to be a part of the future of the team even after that year and a half.

Guest hotsoxchick1

if we dump...... its gonna be ugly...........i dont see us hanging onto anyone except for maybe loz........thomas may move himself before the sox get the chance to......everyone else is up for grabbs.....i see maggs to nyy if torre gets his way.....(if hes still there even lol)........lee and others will be scattered to the winds.......mho

if we dump...... its gonna be ugly...........i dont see us hanging onto anyone except for maybe loz........thomas may move himself  before the sox get the chance to......everyone else is up for grabbs.....i see maggs to nyy if torre gets his way.....(if hes still there even lol)........lee and others will be scattered to the winds.......mho

If we deal with the Yanks then Jeff Weaver is a must. Plus some damn good players. I'd probably say Nick Johnson, but there are huge ???'s about his wrist.

Guest hotsoxchick1
If we deal with the Yanks then Jeff Weaver is a must.  Plus some damn good players.  I'd probably say Nick Johnson, but there are huge ???'s about his wrist.

just keep in mind when dealing with the yanks jas.. anyone who will come with $$$$ will not be chosen, remember that for your shopping list........... btw whats up with johnsons wrist???

if we dump...... its gonna be ugly...........i dont see us hanging onto anyone except for maybe loz........thomas may move himself  before the sox get the chance to......everyone else is up for grabbs.....i see maggs to nyy if torre gets his way.....(if hes still there even lol)........lee and others will be scattered to the winds.......mho

Corg on the other Board professed that this team would be broken up and Konerko, Buerhle etc. would be gone. If on July 31st we are 10 out I would trade everyone on this team except our starting pithcer. A good GM with some (not much) additional cash could really build this team by moving our bullpen guys. I would keep Thomas and that is it, assuming we make good deals and be creative (3 way gigs and what not.) Not necessarily a bad thing if we can nto turn it on. As long as Konerko is hanging around we are in trouble.

I don't know about Gabe Kapler and a change of scenery.  How many different teams has he played for already?  I would guess the guys has some problems if he has been moved around this much already.  He must either be lazy, an attitude problem or both.

I agree, I think Kapler is just another case of a great physical specimen with talents that don't quite translate into a good baseball player. Fire Jerry Manuel.

I would give Kapler a shot... only if we cut Rowand instead!