Rocco Baldelli Available

DBAHO

Judging from their aggressiveness in trade talks, the Devil Rays appear increasingly willing to trade one of their young outfielders — most likely Rocco Baldelli — for premium young pitching.

The Rays floated the idea of trading Baldelli to the Phillies for left-hander Cole Hamels at these meetings, but the Phillies wanted no part of such a deal.

Other possible targets for the Rays if they move Baldelli or left fielder Carl Crawford: Angels right-hander Ervin Santana, Dodgers right-hander Chad Billingsley or one of the Marlins' young starters.

The Rays asked the Phillies about a Rocco Baldelli-for-Cole Hamels swap and were quickly turned down.

Baldelli doesn't make as much sense for the Phillies anyway, as they don't need him as a center fielder. However, there will be plenty of interest in him if he's available. The Rays could potentially get Josh Johnson or Scott Olsen and additional young pitching from the Marlins or Ervin Santana from the Angels. Less likely possibilities would include Chad Billingsley of the Dodgers and Brandon McCarthy of the White Sox.

Now there's no way I'm giving up B-Mac for Baldelli. BUT, if you could say build a deal around Lance Broadway instead, and IF Brian Anderson is traded to say the Marlins or Rangers, does making a trade for Baldelli make any sense?

Splits of .302/.339/.533 this season in 92 games.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 03:07 AM)
Baldelli isn't worth any decent young pitcher.

He has a decently large sized contract, a spotty injury history and no stats to show of any decent amount since his rookie year.

Only guaranteed $3 mill in 2007 and 2008, to go along with an option for 2009(which almost has to be picked up, seeing as how the buyout is $4 mill opposed to the $6 mill it would take to keep him)...?

.302 16 .339/.533/.871...?

He'd definitely be worth McCarthy in my book if the Sox could afford to deal McCarthy - which they can't, of course.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
The Devil Rays won't trade Baldelli or Crawford to the White Sox unless McCarthy is involved. I love some of these White Sox prospects just as much as the next person. As any fan of there team will. Still, it's not happening unless McCarthy is involved.

We all know that the D-Rays want young pitching, badly.

I think it's more likely they end up shipping someone like Elijah Dukes to the Marlins anyways.

The Sox would have to offer a couple of other prospects besides Broadway to get Andrew Friedman interested anyways.

If the Drays liked a SP prospect from a team the sox dealt Freddy to, then I could see a deal for Baldelli. I'm not up on his past injuries, though. But he's got a lot of upside. And he'd cost far less than Crawford. But he's not worth BMac.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
If the Drays liked a SP prospect from a team the sox dealt Freddy to, then I could see a deal for Baldelli. I'm not up on his past injuries, though. But he's got a lot of upside. And he'd cost far less than Crawford. But he's not worth BMac.

I wonder if say the Sox got a package of Hurley, Diamond, Arias (and someone else) for Garcia and Anderson, and then they traded Diamond and Broadway to Tampa for Baldelli to get the CF they need.

But the Sox may decide they could get a CF via FA, or acquire one like Coco Crisp without giving up as much as they would for Baldelli.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 03:07 AM)
The Devil Rays won't trade Baldelli or Crawford to the White Sox unless McCarthy is involved. I love some of these White Sox prospects just as much as the next person. As any fan of there team will. Still, it's not happening unless McCarthy is involved.

And Baldelli isnt worth BMAC so theres where the problem is.

Baldelli may be worth an average young guy like Rich Hill, but no way could you give up a solid starter like BMAC.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)

Baldelli may be worth an average young guy like Rich Hill, but no way could you give up a solid starter like BMAC.

Exactly. If the D-Rays want McCarthy or someone his level for Baldelli, you may as well walk away laughing.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)

Most MLB executives would take Rich Hill over McCarthy in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
lol, there's no way.

I'm just saying what I heard....Hill's finish last year has raised his stock a ton again. I think it's safe to say that 2007 is a huge year for both of them though. If I had to choose one of them to be on my team, I'm not sure who I would take.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
I'm just saying what I heard....Hill's finish last year has raised his stock a ton again. I think it's safe to say that 2007 is a huge year for both of them though. If I had to choose one of them to be on my team, I'm not sure who I would take.

I hate to say it, but probably Hill for the simple fact he is a lefty. (well that and if he wasn't on the Cubs. Their pitcher development has been pretty scary)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
He may not be worth McCarthy, but if teams are willing to part ways with players of Ervin Santana's talent, the Rays shouldn't give two s***s if they are laughed at in the process.

If they can get that then good for them, but I doubt they get someone of that caliber from anyone. Notice nothing says that they've actually had offers built around those players, it's pure speculation.

I know if I were a GM I certainly wouldn't give up a decent young major league starter for someone as injury prone as Baldelli has been...

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most MLB executives would take Rich Hill over McCarthy in a heartbeat.

No they wouldn't. I mean seriously.

If they were the same age, but Hill is almost as old as Garland.

Wite, how do you expect Rocco to put up a .320 BA when he has a career OBP of .329?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
I hate to say it, but probably Hill for the simple fact he is a lefty. (well that and if he wasn't on the Cubs. Their pitcher development has been pretty scary)

I would still take B-Mac. Hill is going to be 27 by opening day and hasn't shown any more than B-Mac has yet. Give me the guy that is more than 3 years younger.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
I would still take B-Mac. Hill is going to be 27 by opening day and hasn't shown any more than B-Mac has yet. Give me the guy that is more than 3 years younger.

MLB execs have a short memory, and they saw how great Hill pitched in the 2nd half last season. Also, he has the great K/9 inning ratio going which is one of those golden stats that always raises a prospect's prestige.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
MLB execs have a short memory, and they saw how great Hill pitched in the 2nd half last season. Also, he has the great K/9 inning ratio going which is one of those golden stats that always raises a prospect's prestige.

I agree. This is one of the most significant things they look at from the stats side. Probaly only second to K/BB.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)

From what I know there aren't many guys with the value on the trade market as Bmac. And no Rich Hill isn't even close to being one of them. Right now McCarthy has more value than Earvin Santana (don't ask me why either).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
Wite, how do you expect Rocco to put up a .320 BA when he has a career OBP of .329?

So he can't hit well because he doesn't get on base at a great clip? Is that what you're trying to suggest? You don't have to have a good eye to be a good hitter.

And it's not like he's old. He's played 3 years while also missing 1 due to injury, and he'll be all of 25 next year. People are declaring Carl Crawford a god among children, yet fail to see how good Baldelli's numbers actually are, and how much time he still has left to develop as a hitter.