If Frank signs with Jays

Allsox

Reading the various sites, it seems that the Blue Jays will try to trade Vernon Wells if the Hurt signs with them. With that in mind, how about the Sox swapping Garcia and a pitching prospect for Wells? Granted, he'd be a one yr rental but if Brian Anderson has fallen that far in the Sox eyes, I'd rather trade for Wells than trading back for Aaron Rowand. Whatcha say?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
I also don't see Toronto trading Wells for Garcia/Anderson.

Toronto's got some holes in the starting rotation:

Halladay

Burnett

Chacin

??????

??????

Garcia would slip into the 3rd slot nicely for them and you know Burnett's gonna be gone for his usual month.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
That still leaves a hole in LF. Looks like Pierre and Roberts are going to sign elsewhere. Soooo, we are still one LF and one leadoff hitter short. Wells would be great, but unless there's a leadoff hitter in there, forget it.

Gload in LF and hitting second, new shortstop who can hit leadoff (one of the many discussed here, or maybe even Young, not prototypical, but high OBP). That would be ideal, IMO.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Gload in LF and hitting second, new shortstop who can hit leadoff (one of the many discussed here, or maybe even Young, not prototypical, but high OBP). That would be ideal, IMO.

That's a LOT of trading for major league talent...which scares me because the cupboard is getting pretty bare. Let's worry about pitching first, that's what's going to win.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Its not about hitting, its about a new CF.

Um, isn't the only reason why we'd actually need a new CF the hitting? As far as I could tell based on last year, the only thing we'd do defensively in CF is going to be to downgrade compared to our supposed starter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Um, isn't the only reason why we'd actually need a new CF the hitting? As far as I could tell based on last year, the only thing we'd do defensively in CF is going to be to downgrade compared to our supposed starter.

I don't think they were very many CF substantially better then BA especially the price it would be to acquire the individual who would be better defensively.

Garcia AND a pitching prospect for Wells? No way and we don't really need Wells anyway. Why trade our strength and what wins games for another hitter? We have youngsters that can play the field and you never have enough pitching. I would like us to keep our starting hurlers. Maybe we can pick up a reliever as a FA or trade though.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
I love Anderson, but take a look at Wells and his numbers. If Williams was able to get Toronto to do Wells for Garcia and Broadway, he should run back to Chicago, and find a really good hiding spot, because it would be a steal.

I would do that too, as long as we could sign Wells long-term.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
I love Anderson, but take a look at Wells and his numbers. If Williams was able to get Toronto to do Wells for Garcia and Broadway, he should run back to Chicago, and find a really good hiding spot, because it would be a steal.

If we didn't have other pressing needs, I would do that, but JP Ricciardi would be bombarded by backbacon and Molson if he did that trade.

Wells has had up and down seasons. In '06 it was up, but would you want to risk our biggest trading chips this offseason for a chance at replicating that? He's basically had 5 full years in the majors after short appearances in the 3 previous. In his 3 down years ('02, '04, '05), he averaged about a .272/.320/.785 line. In his 2 up years ('03, '06), he averaged about a .310/.358/.905 line.

Given the market for FA's this season and his stats last year, I can't see him accepting an extension worth less than $15 mil/season. Hey, if the Sox brass think we can afford it, then I'm all for it. You have to take chances to be the champ, and this is one that could pay off big time. Realistically though, it doesn't look feasible.

If the deal was just straight up Garcia + prospects, then hell yes. It would be a raping. What it would probably cost, ie multiple major league parts, might be overpaying. At this time last year, his numbers were more pedestrian. Last year at this time would you have traded Garcia and one of our best prospects for Wells? Mmm... maybe, but just barely. Sure in '06 his OPS for CF only trailed Beltran and Sizemore. But in '05, Brady Clark and David DeJesus had higher OPS numbers.