Cotts to the Cubs

Steff

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Aardsma has a good live arm, but I dont know if I would of sent Cotts off for that.

I guess the name of the game this offseason is "sell low". I'm shocked that we couldn't get more for Cotts. I've seen Aardsma pitch a lot, and he throws about 95 mph with absolutely no movement or secondary pitch.

BTW, good luck to Cotts surviving those day games.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
I guess the name of the game this offseason is "sell low". I'm shocked that we couldn't get more for Cotts. I've seen Aardsma pitch a lot, and he throws about 95 mph with absolutely no movement or secondary pitch.

BTW, good luck to Cotts surviving those day games.

What has Cotts done to merit more in a trade?? Win a ring?? I am shocked that anybody is even interested in him, he was throwing BP all of last year. I dont think he held a lead once this entire season. ONCE.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
What has Cotts done to merit more in a trade?? Win a ring?? I am shocked that anybody is even interested in him, he was throwing BP all of last year. I dont think he held a lead once this entire season. ONCE.

He's still a relatively young, cheap lefty reliever who is a year away from one of the best relief seasons in the league. Maybe with a better pitching coach, he'll develop something more than a 91 mph fastball and nothing else.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
not another god forsaken Vasquez, i hate that last name.

vasquez had some good #s at west tenn. the cubs AA affiliate

3-5 3.55 ERa 50.2 IP 41 H, 60 K....alot of walks though with 32

he was also 3-0 with a 1.57 ERA at hi A ....so he sounds like a fairly good prospect to me.....just judging on his high K rate and high walk rate im guessing hes got stuff, but needs to harness control

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
vasquez had some good #s at west tenn. the cubs AA affiliate

3-5 3.55 ERa 50.2 IP 41 H, 60 K....alot of walks though with 32

he was also 3-0 with a 1.57 ERA at hi A ....so he sounds like a fairly good prospect to me.....just judging on his high K rate and high walk rate im guessing hes got stuff, but needs to harness control

well trade him before he even has a chance...this is the whitesox.

I just thought of a very scary thing...boone logan as his replacement.

going into the 06 season here is what jim callis said about aardsma....

Q: Bill from Austin asks:

What is the short-term and long-term outlook for David Aardsma? Can we expect to see him in Chicago in April next year?

A:

Jim Callis: Aardsma's stuff has regressed since he began 2004 in the big leagues with the Giants. His fastball is now down to 89-92 mph, his slider is rarely a quality pitch and he hasn't been throwing as many strikes as he needs. I don't think he's close to being ready to help the Cubs. He needs to get himself straightened out first.

going into 05 here was his scouting report (ranked #9 by baseball america for the giants top 10)

9. DAVID AARDSMA, rhp Age: 23 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-5 Wt: 200

Drafted: Rice, 2003 (1st round) Signed by: Tom Koronek

Background: The closer on Rice's 2003 national championship team, Aardsma made his major league debut 10 months after signing for $1.425 million. He won the game in Houston in front of family and friends, though it proved to be the highlight of his season. He spent most of his time in Triple-A.

Strengths: When Aardsma is mechanically sound, he pitches at 93-95 mph and reaches 97 with late life and carry on his explosive fastball. He can sink a two-seamer or throw a four-seamer by hitters up in the strike zone. His changeup, which has become average, was his second-best pitch in 2004.

Weaknesses: Aardsma's elbow gets floppy in his delivery, and it hurt his velocity and his slider last year. He mostly pitched in the low 90s with his fastball, and he lost both the movement and command with his slider. The Giants were encouraged that his slider came around in the fall, when he kept his delivery more compact.

The Future: San Francisco had few other options in its depleted bullpen, so Aardsma was rushed. The return of his slider would make him a candidate to set up Armando Benitez in San Francisco this season.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
Hell no, we went through that BS last year.

Hopefully Kenny has something else up his sleeve, history shows he does. Lets wait and see.

Logan is very likely a better option than any of the other lefty relief crap that is on the market. Of course, Fabio Castro would be a nice option to have....but we screwed that up badly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
He's still a relatively young, cheap lefty reliever who is a year away from one of the best relief seasons in the league. Maybe with a better pitching coach, he'll develop something more than a 91 mph fastball and nothing else.

Meh. They seem like the same pitcher to me. Rely heavily on 1 pitch. About the same K/BB ratio. Around the same age. A little wild. I wouldn't want to count on either next year. I'd call it a wash, but I've never been a big Cotts fan to begin with. He had a great 2005...but then again, so did Cliff Politte.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)

Cotts was worse than Marte could have ever imagined in his worst year last year. How soon you all forget. Don't get me wrong, great guy....but close to a special pitcher. Seems like we lost another fan favorite judging by the reponse, I love the move because now I won't have 16 year old teenie boppers with "MRS. NEAL COTTS" signs.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
i dont really get it either.....aardsma seems like another sean tracey to me, and i have no idea on vasquez..

I'll say this: Aardsma is better than Tracey. Aardsma's problem is that he overthrows. I'm just disappointed because I thought Cotts would have brought in better value than he did.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
I'll say this: Aardsma is better than Tracey. Aardsma's problem is that he overthrows. I'm just disappointed because I thought Cotts would have brought in better value than he did.

Oh yeah, he's better than Tracey.

Fathom, what do you think of the prospect we got?