Cotts to the Cubs

Steff

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Oh yeah, he's better than Tracey.

Fathom, what do you think of the prospect we got?

No clue about him. He has good K numbers, but so does everyone in the Cubs organization. He's a lefty though, so it's not a terrible acquisition. This gives the Cubs 3 lefties now in a division without a lot of lefty fire power. I wonder if they're going to use one of their other lefties in a trade.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
I'll say this: Aardsma is better than Tracey. Aardsma's problem is that he overthrows. I'm just disappointed because I thought Cotts would have brought in better value than he did.

Pretty much, this seems like a lateral move. The reliever we got back had good K numbers last year, and was 23 pitching in AA. But who knows -- last year was his first season pitching exclusively out of the 'pen.

It's hard to call it a "brutal" trade as you did.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
I'll say this: Aardsma is better than Tracey. Aardsma's problem is that he overthrows. I'm just disappointed because I thought Cotts would have brought in better value than he did.

Left handed relief is probably second most desired commodity in MLB-and we dont get much for an established pitcher.

My guess is they return Cotts to starter-because they already have Eyre and Howry-a complete Sox bullpen

Edited by klaus kinski

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
Pretty much, this seems like a lateral move. The reliever we got back had good K numbers last year, and was 23 pitching in AA. But who knows -- last year was his first season pitching exclusively out of the 'pen.

It's hard to call it a "brutal" trade as you did.

I just feel like we sold Cotts at his lowest value, and thought we would include him in a bigger deal. I don't feel like we're a better team after making this deal.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
I may be wrong here, but from reading the scouting report, I'm guessing that Coop feels like Aardsma has the tools that can make him a "Matt Thornton" type project. Hard throwing lefty with iffy mechanics and control problems. Sounds familiar.

hes a righty, but i kinda thought the same thing...maybe they think they can straighten his mechanics out...btw he was good at times last year at the big league level with the cubs

Left-hander Carlos Vasquez was traded from the Cubs to the White Sox in a three-player deal.

Vasquez, a left-hander who turns 24 next month, had a 2.75 ERA and a 91/42 K/BB ratio in 85 innings of relief between Single-A Daytona and Double-A West Tenn last season. He qualified as one of the Cubs' better relief prospects, but he's not especially young and he still has to improve his command quite a bit.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
neh, cotts had fallen out of favor anyway. he couldnt get lefties out.

so now we've got Thornton for the 7th, MacDougal for the 8th and Jenks for the 9th. Not too shabby.

we also had taht before this trade...but yeah

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
I agree completely. Can't say I'm too happy with this trade.

What makes it worse is Baltimore is about to set the market for a LOOGY by paying too much money to Jamie Walker. Despite his off season in 2006, certainly Cotts had more value than this. There has to be more to the story or KW thinks highly of these arms he got in return.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For David Aardsma....what an absolutely brutal trade by KW. I'm worried about this offseason, I really am.

Think again. Aardsma is one of the hardest throwers in the game. In fact I remember John Dujaun on the Score saying he was the hardest thrower for the Cubs (AVG fast ball is around 96 MPH) and Jenks, Thornton, and MacDougall were in the top 10 as well.

Maybe acquiring this Vasquez will stop people from spelling Javy's last name incorrectly. :pray

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
Think again. Aardsma is one of the hardest throwers in the game. In fact I remember John Dujaun on the Score saying he was the hardest thrower for the Cubs (AVG fast ball is around 96 MPH) and Jenks, Thornton, and MacDougall were in the top 10 as well.

Maybe acquiring this Vasquez will stop people from spelling Javy's last name incorrectly. :pray

Hypocrite :P

Who cares if Aardsma throws hard, is it really a plus having four guys in the bullpen whose out pitch is bringing heat? The fact of the matter is the White Sox, had they been patient, could have gotten more for Cotts than they got here.

I never thought I'd see the day, but regardless of the outcome here, it seems like the Cubs got the better of the deal. Ugh.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
Who cares if Aardsma throws hard, is it really a plus having four guys in the bullpen whose out pitch is bringing heat? The fact of the matter is the White Sox, had they been patient, could have gotten more for Cotts than they got here.

I never thought I'd see the day, but regardless of the outcome here, it seems like the Cubs got the better of the deal. Ugh.

Agree, it's way too early in the off-season for a move like this. Bottom line is they sold low on Cotts for some reason, possibly he wanted to be a starter or possibly something else that no one knows about.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
Agree, it's way too early in the off-season for a move like this. Bottom line is they sold low on Cotts for some reason, possibly he wanted to be a starter or possibly something else that no one knows about.

I don't buy this starter idea at all. Simply put, he fell out of favor with the Sox with the way he pitched the last half of the season last year, and KW knew he wouldn't be on the roster this season.