Freddy to Angels?

YASNY

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
It's really no different from any other major fan site, especially during hot stove season.

Probably. I'm just saying it brings some sort of absurd and ridiculous comic value to my heart. I enjoy it a great deal, but at the same time, it's totally out of this world.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
Probably. I'm just saying it brings some sort of absurd and ridiculous comic value to my heart. I enjoy it a great deal, but at the same time, it's totally out of this world.

I think what all the wild rumors show is that KW is talking to everyone about any of his pitchers and will then pick out the deal he thinks is best. I wouldn't doubt if all of these conversation have taken place but on an exploratory basis. And I agree that we will see a variation of one of these soon.

Hmm should be interesting if this rumor is legit.....

If one team would 'overpay' for Freddy, the Angels are it, esspecially after the way Freddy dominated them in the playoffs in '05. I would trade Freddy for Santana, because we would STILL have an advantage with 6 starters. Keeping Santana would be sweet, however, if you can then ship Santana and Fields for Crawford w/o giving up BMac. WOW then KW would seriously be my hero! However, i think Santana and BMac are pretty close in talent, BMac has a brighter future, but Santana has already proven himself in this league, something Tampa is looking for.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't imagine the Angels would give up Santana and something else for Garcia. Santana's numbers are just as good if not better than Freddy's and he's a lot younger and cheaper, and will be cheaper for a few seasons. I think Deluca is full of it.

Santana is not better than Freddy and if he came to the Sox he would be even worse.

Look at these splits:

2006 Home: 10-2, 3.02 ERA, 1.10 WHIP

2006 Away: 6-6, 5.95 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Career Home: 19-5. 3.09 ERA, 1.14 WHIP

Career Away: 9-11, 6.46 ERA, 1.53

Just some perspective, here's Garcia's numbers at USCF

2006: 4.11 ERA, 1.26 WHIP

2005: 4.38 ERA, 1.39 WHIP

2004: 5.37 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Freddy gets a lot of flack for being "terrible" at home, but Santana's road numbers are much worse than Garcia's numbers at USCF.

Just say NO to Santana. He's another one of these guys that ESPN talks up and has splits that tell another story. (See Blalock and Young.)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
I can't imagine the Angels would give up Santana and something else for Garcia. Santana's numbers are just as good if not better than Freddy's and he's a lot younger and cheaper, and will be cheaper for a few seasons. I think Deluca is full of it.

Anaheim would be incredibly stupid to do this straight-up. But if we threw in BA and another prospect, they might be interested.

Alternatively, Freddy and maybe a prospect might snag us Figgins. I wouldn't mind him in LF, or even CF.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
Santana is not better than Freddy and if he came to the Sox he would be even worse.

Look at these splits:

Freddy gets a lot of flack for being "terrible" at home, but Santana's road numbers are much worse than Garcia's numbers at USCF.

Just say NO to Santana. He's another one of these guys that ESPN talks up and has splits that tell another story. (See Blalock and Young.)

I would take those #'s from a 24 year old who has 2 years of ML Service time and is making the league minimum.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
I would take those #'s from a 24 year old who has 2 years of ML Service time and is making the league minimum.

No kidding. The only potential problem I see with Santana is the elbow injury he had in the minors.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)

Look at these splits:

Santana is 24 years old. Freddy's ERA was over 5.00 on the road, he also makes a ton more money. Frank Thomas couldn't hit home runs outside of US Cellular Field to save his life, but he seemed to do fine with Oakland. I'll take Santana and his numbers + $7-8 million a year to spend on other parts over Garcia at this point of his career any day. Freddy got hot at the end of the year, but I don't see where that shows he will be dominant in 2007. Seems he and the rest of the Sox staff were quite good at the end of 2005 and it translated to nothing in 2006.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might too, but I wouldn't do it at the expense of trading Freddy.

Soriano was in a contract year, playing in an inferior NL, and batted .260 at Washington. However he was able to slug well enough to get his OPS over .900.

As for Nomar, I only see one year where he was healthy and had a huge differential between Road and Fenway Numbers (2003.) Poor example.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Santana is 24 years old. Freddy's ERA was over 5.00 on the road, he also makes a ton more money. Frank Thomas couldn't hit home runs outside of US Cellular Field to save his life, but he seemed to do fine with Oakland. I'll take Santana and his numbers + $7-8 million a year to spend on other parts over Garcia at this point of his career any day. Freddy got hot at the end of the year, but I don't see where that shows he will be dominant in 2007. Seems he and the rest of the Sox staff were quite good at the end of 2005 and it translated to nothing in 2006.

And thank god he did...

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
:huh:

Figgins is "teh sux" hes in the same boat and Podsednik and Pierre, this FA class and offseason has shown us that the price for the unknown(Matz) is HIGH and that the price for the known(Zito,Schmidt,Garcia,ect.) is going to be even higher, wait until the dust settles for Zito and Schmidt, KW will get what he wants for one(Pelfry & Humber) possibly two of our starters.

You want to give Garcia away for a speedy utility player that had an OBP of .336 and throw in a propsect, hoping that gets the deal done.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Figgins is "teh sux" hes in the same boat and Podsednik and Pierre, this FA class and offseason has shown us that the price for the unknown(Matz) is HIGH and that the price for the known(Zito,Schmiditt,Garcia,ect.) is going to be even higher, wait until the dust settles for Zito and Schmidt, KW will get what he wants for one(Pelfry & Humber) possibly two of our starters.

You want to give Garcia away for a speedy utility player that had an OBP of .336 and thrown in a propsect, hoping that gets the deal done.

I agree. KW should wait until all the free agent dust has settled and a couple of teams have come up empty. He will be able to maximize his return IMO.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
I might too, but I wouldn't do it at the expense of trading Freddy.

I like Freddy. He has a lot of heart, he's an intelligent pitcher, and did as good a job as could be expected when he lost 5-7 mph off of his fastball last year. But the latter point is exactly why we should deal him now, while he still has value. It's a good thing that he finished strong this year and that he only has one year left on his contract. Otherwise, a player with his diminishing skills would be much more difficult to move.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Anaheim would be incredibly stupid to do this straight-up. But if we threw in BA and another prospect, they might be interested.

Alternatively, Freddy and maybe a prospect might snag us Figgins. I wouldn't mind him in LF, or even CF.

Yes, but the entire point of withholding a surplus of starting pitching, in an extremely outrageous market, is to hope for a ridiculously lopsided deal. Why exactly should Williams trade Garcia, or any other starter, if we're not the obvious beneficiary of someone overpaying?

Santana for Garcia it is.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I agree. KW should wait until all the free agent dust has settled and a couple of teams have come up empty. He will be able to maximize his return IMO.

It's also entirely possible that the team the most desperate for pitching might put out an offer for a starter on the FA Market at the same time as putting up their biggest offer on the trade market.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
It's also entirely possible that the team the most desperate for pitching might put out an offer for a starter on the FA Market at the same time as putting up their biggest offer on the trade market.

Which is why it seems KW is moving very quickly this offseason, from the way things are going we could see multiple deals pulled off by the Sox before Turkey day.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)

Look at these splits:

OMG!!!!! I NEVER would have thought that a player would be better at home!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!! This really opened my eyes.

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Figgins is "teh sux" hes in the same boat and Podsednik and Pierre, this FA class and offseason has shown us that the price for the unknown(Matz) is HIGH and that the price for the known(Zito,Schmidt,Garcia,ect.) is going to be even higher, wait until the dust settles for Zito and Schmidt, KW will get what he wants for one(Pelfry & Humber) possibly two of our starters.

You want to give Garcia away for a speedy utility player that had an OBP of .336 and throw in a propsect, hoping that gets the deal done.

Unless the team he wants the players from are the ones which sign those FAs. Then he loses out on that player. If KW trades for the player he wants first then that team won't need to sign the FA. Why might a team do that???? To save the money.

There are pros and cons to trading early. I think KW usually trades early because he has certain players targeted and wants to make sure he gets them. Like his arguements about Boras, he has a value of his players and value of the other players and will make the trade to get what he wants.