Its Official Frank Thomas signs with Toronto

GreatScott82

Well he gets to wear black cleats again.

The contract doesn't look as brutal as it was originally stated now; however, it's still a lot for the big man. However, I hope he proves us all wrong and makes the contract well worth Toronto's investment.

One cool thing I've seen in this week on ESPN is a poll asking if Frank was a first-ballot HOFer. It's cool to think, that that is now the question, and not the wondering if he'll make the HOF at all.

Good luck in Toronto, Hurt.

High risk signing that could hurt Toronto if he can't stay healthy.

Personally I think they were desperate for an above average DH and overpaid.

That said, hopefully he's beyond his foot problems and can contribute (just not against the Sox).

Two points to make here, and they are somewhat contradictory.

1. Frank signed a nice big contract which he deserves. Good for him and I hope everything works well for him.

2. Frank wants a ring, but he signs in a division where the top two teams have been the top two forever. And the team he signed with ain't one of them.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Two points to make here, and they are somewhat contradictory.

1. Frank signed a nice big contract which he deserves. Good for him and I hope everything works well for him.

2. Frank wants a ring, but he signs in a division where the top two teams have been the top two forever. And the team he signed with ain't one of them.

Actually, the Blue Jays finished in second place last year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
Actually, the Blue Jays finished in second place last year.

No s***? Well damn. Okay then, do you think they have a legit shot at winning the East with the addition of Frank?

Not being difficult here ... Just asking.

as I said in the thread when this was just a rumor, Frank will always be one of my favorite players, and I wish him great luck. Also, I don't blame KW or Jerry for the situation, IMO, Frank couldn't be productive for the Sox and what they wanted to accomplish.

With 500 Homers and the well deserved reputation of a clean player during a juice era, he will be in the HOF wearing a White Sox hat.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
I'm going to make an outrageous prediction. Frank retires at the end of this contract with 600 homers.

Even if he stays healthy, he'd have to hit about 56 a year the next 2 I believe to get to 600. I doubt that will happen, but I'll say he stays healthy for one of the years, gets hurt a lot the other, and ends up hitting about 50 homers up there. 2 years and 18 million isn't actually too bad, but 2 years, HUGE risk.

Oh, and there is a 10 million dollar team option for the 3rd year? Well that means Frank will leave bitter at them for not picking it up, even if he stays healthy the 2nd year of the deal.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Even if he stays healthy, he'd have to hit about 56 a year the next 2 I believe to get to 600. I doubt that will happen, but I'll say he stays healthy for one of the years, gets hurt a lot the other, and ends up hitting about 50 homers up there. 2 years and 18 million isn't actually too bad, but 2 years, HUGE risk.

Oh, and there is a 10 million dollar team option for the 3rd year? Well that means Frank will leave bitter at them for not picking it up, even if he stays healthy the 2nd year of the deal.

The 3rd year is guaranteed if Frank totals 1000 plate appearences in 2007-2008 or 525 in 2008.

Bob