Alfonso Soriano signs w/ Cubs

whitesoxin'

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting that the Cubs and Alfonso Soriano have agreed to an eight-year, $136 million contract.

That's $17 million per year for eight years. So, it's Carlos Beltran's deal plus a year. Beltran, though, was three years younger and a clearly superior player when he received his contract. If the Cubs knew in advance they were going to spend all this money this winter, it would have made sense to bring in a better general manager first.

That's COLD.

I suppose one benefit is Soriano presents an identifiable image to build your franchise around (in addition to Lee), but aside from that, he's certaintly not worth $17 million a year.

Although you have to admit, if he produces even on par with career averages its quite an upgrade over past 2B scrubs the Cubs have featured.

While I think this move will certainly help them, we are still talking about a team that was the worst in a terrible NL last year...and they still have a ton of work to do on the pitching standpoint. They have two legitimate starters and no closer. No doubt, they will address some of this, and maybe they will by year 8 of Soriano's contract. But either way, its hard to imagine Soriano making enough difference to merit that kind of contract.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
That's COLD.

I suppose one benefit is Soriano presents an identifiable image to build your franchise around (in addition to Lee), but aside from that, he's certaintly not worth $17 million a year.

Although you have to admit, if he produces even on par with career averages its quite an upgrade over past 2B scrubs the Cubs have featured.

He's going to be their center fielder.

Rotoworld brings up the possibility of moving Murton and putting Soriano in left. I'm guessing its just speculation. Would make some sense to me, because you could get away with hiding Soriano in left. Him playing center, on the other hand, could be a disaster. Soriano and Murton together in the same outfield could be comedy at the highest levels.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
:lol:

I have a hunch they wont have a problem putting Derosa in the OF is Soriano wants to play 2b.

So Murton or DeRosa goes to cf? I doubt it.

I didn't mean they'd worry so much about keeping their word, just that they've already planned for 2b. If they wanted Soriano for 2b, they'd have held off on DeRosa.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
So Murton or DeRosa goes to cf? I doubt it.

I didn't mean they'd worry so much about keeping their word, just that they've already planned for 2b. If they wanted Soriano for 2b, they'd have held off on DeRosa.

Especially if they were going to give into his demands from the beginning.

I'm as big a Cubs hater as anyone (well, except for cuckthefubs), but Hendry did what he had to do. Is it a horrible contract? You better believe it. Will they regret this horrid contract somewhere down the line? Indeed. But the Cubs have to win NOW! Now as in yesterday. And Soriano, atleast for next year, makes them a considerably better team. Their lineup looks pretty scary all of a sudden. Yes, I realize they have glaring holes in their rotation. That's gonna be Hendry's biggest challenge. Rounding out a really bad rotation. If he can somehow get a couple of decent [no way they're going after Zito or Schmidt now] pitchers, they'll be in pretty good shape in what is no doubt the sorriest division in all of baseball.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
I'm as big a Cubs hater as anyone (well, except for cuckthefubs), but Hendry did what he had to do. Is it a horrible contract? You better believe it. Will they regret this horrid contract somewhere down the line? Indeed. But the Cubs have to win NOW! Now as in yesterday. And Soriano, atleast for next year, makes them a considerably better team. Their lineup looks pretty scary all of a sudden. Yes, I realize they have glaring holes in their rotation. That's gonna be Hendry's biggest challenge. Rounding out a really bad rotation. If he can somehow get a couple of decent [no way they're going after Zito or Schmidt now] pitchers, they'll be in pretty good shape in what is no doubt the sorriest division in all of baseball.

I agree that Hendry needs to win now, and this move just proves the urgency of his position. Nonetheless, its a stupid move. If you are going to throw money around like this, why don't you just give it to a Zito and/or Schmidt? The cost for those two would be ridiculous, but then again, either one by themselves would make more sense in regards to winning. Not to mention, you wouldn't have to give them 8 year contracts.

If it was a team like the White Sox which really has to watch its bottom line, this contract would be foolish, but for a team like the Cubs, its really not that bad. Soriano is the best player on the market, and many scouts do think he will turn into a pretty good outfielder. 5 or 6 years from now, Soriano's $17 million a year may not be all that much. The Tribune Company won't be owning the team too much longer IMO and behind the scenes they have been blown away by the offers they are receiving for the team. The National League is weak, the Cardinals just proved that a mediocre team can win the WS. My biggest concern being a Cub hater was when they signed Piniella. That team is going to have a different attitude, and obviously now are willing to spend money. They aren't done. They are going to have a $120-130 million payroll in 2007 I believe. It just goes to show how much money they have made over the years.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Prior can end up coming back strong.

Wade Miller could be good

Wood makes a strong bullpen even stronger.

And if Hendry relies on this scenario again, he should be fired. Prior and Wood shouldn't even be part of the conversation at the moment.

I think it is a good pick up for the Cubs in terms of the player, but that is a lot of years to guarantee a guy. I like Soriano, great fantasy player. But I agree, they need pitching more than anything and that is a ot of cash to put into one guy.

Edited by Brian