Alfonso Soriano signs w/ Cubs

whitesoxin'

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Because Soriano's Numbers, at least to my eyes, are much much better than Jeter's, and Todd Helton's numbers are way way down in the last 2 years (35 home runs in the last 2 years, for example).

My eyes see a much higher obp from Jeter, more consistency, and a higher sb %. Defensively he's more valuable. And Helton's been a monster over most of that contract, it's not even close. You expect Soriano to not have a dip at the end of this contract, as he approaches 40? This is an awful contract.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
My eyes see a much higher obp from Jeter, more consistency, and a higher sb %. Defensively he's more valuable. And Helton's been a monster over most of that contract, it's not even close. You expect Soriano to not have a dip at the end of this contract, as he approaches 40? This is an awful contract.

So, while Jeter is more valuable defensively than Soriano, it's not a huge difference to my eyes. Soriano is not good, but Jeter is certainly not great either. It's the difference between bad and acceptably poor. And yes, Jeter has a higher OBP than Soriano, but Soraino has quite a few more RBI and Home runs.

i thought one of the Cubs biggest weakness was thier rotation?!? Why would they give that kind of money out to ANOTHER power hitter? LOL

We tried the power-power-power thing in 2006 and it didn't get us in the playoffs. But power with a lack of starting pitchers doesn't garuntee winning for crap.

Do you guys think KW will make a big splash similar to this? Not a power type guy, but a big name like Carl Crawford.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
i thought one of the Cubs biggest weakness was thier rotation?!? Why would they give that kind of money out to ANOTHER power hitter? LOL

We tried the power-power-power thing in 2006 and it didn't get us in the playoffs. But power with a lack of starting pitchers doesn't garuntee winning for crap.

Do you guys think KW will make a big splash similar to this? Not a power type guy, but a big name like Carl Crawford.

I'm very interested to see what Dye commands in free agency, and whether that pushes KW toward trading for an outfielder now.

Last year Soriano struck out 160 times. 160! He hit .277. .277! He only had 95 rbi off of 46 home runs. He was a lead-off hitter, but still. He has only drawn over 40 walks once in his career. His OBP last year was only .2 higher than Pods. Pods sucked last year. To the average fan, Soriano looks like a great player. He can hit for power and steals some bases, but he is not worth $17 million a year.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
What a f***ing joke.

If it were the Sox that signed him half the people on this board would be doing cartwheels they would be so happy. The fact that they may have over paid means nothing if they have unlimited purse strings right now.

Get ready my fellow Sox fans, it may be a long summer for us. These guys mean business and it is only November! What is they get Zito and Schmidt!!!!

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
If it were the Sox that signed him half the people on this board would be doing cartwheels they would be so happy. The fact that they may have over paid means nothing if they have unlimited purse strings right now.

Get ready my fellow Sox fans, it may be a long summer for us. These guys mean business and it is only November! What is they get Zito and Schmidt!!!!

Cool.

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)

The Cubs are below us now. Who cares what they do anymore? I'll admit I do atleast a little, but it will not bother me so much if they do well. I'll still know for sure that we are the better franchise.

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
Although they did just gain approximately 125 more Ks from their leadoff spot....

Soriano is garbage ... When there were rumors of possibly trading for him I frowned on the idea. And if he made such a fuss about playing LF last year, I wonder what he'll say when they expect him to play Center ... Don't like the man but oh well, just makes me angry seeing him make that amount of money, on ANY team.

To me, Soriano just screams out Adrian Beltre again.

I mean he's a very good player, but he has a few flaws, and I don't think he's going to come close to the numbers he put up for the Nats this season, which means he won't live up to the contract.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 02:34 AM)

Did you read his proposed trade? He says they'll send a combination package of Matt Murton and Jacque Jones for Jake Westbrook, yet who is his LFer in the proposed lineup? Murton and Jones. Apparently they're getting Jake Westbrook for free. Hendry must be a real smart man.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
Did you read his proposed trade? He says they'll send a combination package of Matt Murton and Jacque Jones for Jake Westbrook, yet who is his LFer in the proposed lineup? Murton and Jones. Apparently they're getting Jake Westbrook for free. Hendry must be a real smart man.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)

sounds to me like he means Murton OR Jones, and in their lineup, he has Murton OR Jones (whichever one isnt traded)

sure the cubs get an extra 120 K's from their leadoff man, but they also get 200 less 4-3's from their leadoff man too.

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)

Really, well I'm glad you know half the people on this board, because I'd guaranteed 98% of the people on this board would be saying "WTF" with multiple verbal threats against KW.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
With the Cubs. FoxSports Link

8 years around $135 million. lol

Just what the Cubs need, more guys who strike out.

I'm sorry, but this is a tremendous move for the Cubs. We are talking about one of the premier offensive players in the game going to a team that needed offense and some talent at the top of the order. On top of it all they also got a very good base-stealer.

Sure its a lot of money but the Cubs can afford it. Great move by the Cubs (even though the deal is too long but who the hell knows what the economics of baseball will be 8 years from now anyway and I still think you can always find teams to take guys like this off your hands 4 or 5 years from now anyway.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
I hate having to face him 6 times a year, but I love this signing. Embrace another era of K's and poor defense. Maybe the Trib wasn't far off in advertising Sammy's come back.

Ummm...Soriano is an above average left fielder and I assume thats where he will play. And I have no doubt he'll continue to improve in LF. He has a good arm and good range.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 05:07 AM)
Ummm...Soriano is an above average left fielder and I assume thats where he will play. And I have no doubt he'll continue to improve in LF. He has a good arm and good range.

Jason, they have him pegged as their starting CFer. Per ChicagoSports.com:

Soriano, who turns 31 in January, is expected to lead off and play center field.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Tough, asking a 31 year old who's never played CF to play it at Wrigley. I can't see Soriano being anything better than average in CF, and there's the potential that he's really bad out there...