Another Soxtalk Favorite OFF THE BOARD

JDsDirtySox

According to the Dallas Morning News, Frank Catalanotto's three-year deal with the Rangers will be worth at least $13 million.

There's also an option for a fourth year. Catalanotto could play left field for the Rangers, but he'd be better utilized as a DH if the Rangers decide to bring back Brad Wilkerson or look for someone else to replace Carlos Lee. He'll also be a candidate to replace Gary Matthews Jr. in the leadoff spot.

Source: Dallas Morning News

I just want to state again...

It is crazy what average players are getting paid this off season.

YIKES

Thoughts from Rotoworld, that I tend to agree with:

Another deal that's just too long. Catalanotto is a nice player, but he doesn't have any defensive value, he doesn't hit lefties and he's never played in more than 133 games in a season. His highest OPS in the last five years is an 823 mark and that's with him sitting out against most southpaws. We could see giving him the long-term deal if he's cheap enough to turn into a bench player in 2009, but odds are that won't be the case. Locking him up for three years just to be an average designated hitter is a bad strategy.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
I don't think this is such a "crazy" deal. $4-5 mil per doesn't look like bad value as long as Catalanotto gets 400+ abs each year. Always gets on base, not too many hrs, but makes up for it with a high average and enough doubles. Good signing. Plus, I always think of him as a Ranger, anyway.

Knowing that we need to add another OF to our Starting OF... these are the only decent options out there via Free Agency

Drew, JD

Dellucci, David

Guillen, Jose

Matthews, Gary

Payton, Jay

Pierre, Juan

Roberts, Dave

Stewart, Shannon

Jose Guillen...Jose Guillen...Jose Guillen. Although I wouldn't mind Shannon Stewart.

I think Guillen will slip through the cracks though and sign a 1yr deal with an option or some incentives. He's a good player while healthy (a near all star, imo). ANd he could play CF if I recall. Probably a little older now and he's had some injuries so I don't know if that would be a good idea, but its not an awful backup plan. Plus he destroys Lefties IIRC (at least I remember him rocking them with the Angels).

Where does the rumors have Shannon Stewart going ? Back to Minny ?

He'd be a good signing for the Sox - they could probably get him at a bargain deal (in free agent terms), he has a lot to prove considering that he can't stay healthy, but he'd get to work with Herm here, who has the good reputation for getting guys on the field.

If he plays 130+ games, great, he'll do well, would be a non-HR guy who can help manufacture runs, and if we do have to rest him, or DL him once in awhile, a young guy like Sweeney could step in and get experience - I like this option.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Jose Guillen...Jose Guillen...Jose Guillen. Although I wouldn't mind Shannon Stewart.

I think Guillen will slip through the cracks though and sign a 1yr deal with an option or some incentives. He's a good player while healthy (a near all star, imo). ANd he could play CF if I recall. Probably a little older now and he's had some injuries so I don't know if that would be a good idea, but its not an awful backup plan. Plus he destroys Lefties IIRC (at least I remember him rocking them with the Angels).

If we get him, who leads off? Just curious as to what you think. I do think he would be an excellent pickup for the 6 spot in the order.

We still have an opening a SS or CF for the top of the order. I don't expect Anderson to be here so you make a push at someone like Figgins for the top of the order or go after someone like Rollins.

I'd like to think that after we move one of our starters we'll have enough chips to make a move.