Dem. Rangel Calling for Military Draft

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 07:16 AM)
You just ruined anything you could ever say here in the future with this single post. Now I can just discount anything you say totally. Thanks for clarifying.

Not only can you not take a joke, but you refuse to back up your arguments.

But please, discount what I have to say, that ought to make things easy on you.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
OHHHHHHHHHHH... so NOW it was a joke. MMMMMMkay.

Are you being serious?

No, you're right. I really did think John Bolton was going to be captured on national television soliciting 13 year olds with play-doh.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 07:27 AM)
"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

I believe that with the benefits of living in this country should come a debt. Like others in this thread, as long as there is a non-military option, like Americorps, I would be in favor of it. We have too many people who believe they can take and take without giving back. One of the saddest changes in my lifetime is "community service" is no longer a noble thing, something to be proud of, instead it is a punishment handed out for misdemeanor crimes. :angry:

so what are you going to do with the people who refuse to work? put them in jail?

what constitutes a legit "service" option? how about working at "family planning" or for a "pro-life" campaign with ties to a religious institution?

the idea doesn't work any many levels, one of them being logistical.

oh, and the Kennedy quote is great, but he meant it as a suggestion and way to live, not as a mandate.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
Actually his leadership in helping to quell the Israeli/Hesbollah conflict in Beirut exceeded that of his superiors.

He did a much better job than I would have thought given the poor guidance our administration provided in our policy.

I missed this earlier, but please explain this further. Condi Rice is widely seen as the diplomat who belatedly took on the initiative to negotiate a ceasefire, just as she saved his ass in the Darfur resolution, where Bolton's feckless antidiplomacy drove us to a stalemate.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
so what are you going to do with the people who refuse to work? put them in jail?

what constitutes a legit "service" option? how about working at "family planning" or for a "pro-life" campaign with ties to a religious institution?

the idea doesn't work any many levels, one of them being logistical.

oh, and the Kennedy quote is great, but he meant it as a suggestion and way to live, not as a mandate.

Your Quote: i don't think the government should have authoratitive power to forcefully mandate service to the coutry unless there is a relevant and immediate threat to the survival of the country.

Kennedy's quote: Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

Which is the better suggestion? Which is better for our country?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
Your Quote: i don't think the government should have authoratitive power to forcefully mandate service to the coutry unless there is a relevant and immediate threat to the survival of the country.

Kennedy's quote: Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

Which is the better suggestion? Which is better for our country?

Kennedy's quote was not a mandate.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
Kennedy's quote was not a mandate.

No it is not a legal mandate, perhaps a moral or ethical one. We could either chat about the nuances of a word or we could discuss the differences between feeling entitled to take whatever one can from this society or the feeling of a debt to give something back.

I believe, strongly, that we have raised a generation that believes public service is a punishment for doing something wrong. It's the "Me Generation".

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
No it is not a legal mandate, perhaps a moral or ethical one. We could either chat about the nuances of a word or we could discuss the differences between feeling entitled to take whatever one can from this society or the feeling of a debt to give something back.

I believe, strongly, that we have raised a generation that believes public service is a punishment for doing something wrong. It's the "Me Generation".

The only thing about that is when Kennedy got done serving his country, he was still wealthy to the gills. Whereas Joe Citizen might need that time to better himself and his family.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
No offense, Yas, but that kinda comes off like a backhanded insult to the military.

The military ought to be a great way to better yourself. And if it isn't, then we ought to reconsider how we treat and pay our men in service.

I'll agree that our military personel are not treated with the diginity and respect they deserve, nor are they paid enough. But then I've thought that since I was old enough to know that this same Mr. Kennedy sent out boys to fight and die, and not to win, in Nam. Of course, the esteemed Mr. Johnson intensified the carnage.

Nixon was a douchebag too, though.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
The only thing about that is when Kennedy got done serving his country, he was still wealthy to the gills. Whereas Joe Citizen might need that time to better himself and his family.

My friend comes home from Iraq at the end of the year (God willing) and he'll be trained to work with satellites and cell towers, have a 4 year education paid for, and will be buying a house with the money he's saved over the 3 years in the military. How has his time in the military failed to give back to him and give him a chance to better himself and his family? He was going nowhere before the military and now he's got a great life ahead of him.

the only thing I would argue is that they should be paid more. But hell, I work in the bank and wait on douche bags all day... I deserve more pay too :D

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)

Not addressing the draft and options, but thinking in a more immediate and concrete way. There are many ways to give back. From a couple hours a month to many hours per week, and most are stuff that people like. Volunteer with a sports league for youth, Church groups, Scouting, Boy's and Girl's Clubs, YMCA, the political process, advisory boards, park districts, the list is endless.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
Not addressing the draft and options, but thinking in a more immediate and concrete way. There are many ways to give back. From a couple hours a month to many hours per week, and most are stuff that people like. Volunteer with a sports league for youth, Church groups, Scouting, Boy's and Girl's Clubs, YMCA, the political process, advisory boards, park districts, the list is endless.

i'd rather donate financial resources to a worthy cause. the money would help them more than my working there a few hours. but thats just me.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
i'd rather donate financial resources to a worthy cause. the money would help them more than my working there a few hours. but thats just me.

Most of these organizations survive as a sort of three legged stool. They need your time, talent, or money. So I agree that writing a check is necessary, but I disagree taht it will help them more. Every person's money is the same, but your unique attributes can not be bought or duplicated.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
No offense, Yas, but that kinda comes off like a backhanded insult to the military.

The military ought to be a great way to better yourself. And if it isn't, then we ought to reconsider how we treat and pay our men in service.

So Yas's comment comes off to you as an insult to the military, but Kerrry saying only stupid people join is not?