"Kramer" loses it!!

RibbieRubarb

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody bought tickets to see the hecklers.

You don't show up to a concert, pull out your guitar and say "Hey, [insert your favorite artist whose concert you'd attend] watch this!" and start playing your guitar.

If the hecklers didn't want to get blasted then they keep their f***ing mouths shut. If you don't like what was said how about leaving? Or getting a drink, taking a piss and coming back when there is another comic on stage? Gee, that would be a logical idea. But no, let's give hecklers a free pass. None of you would like hecklers at your job yet you seem to think it is okay to have them for this man's job.

And he was ignorant for saying n***** but the "oppressed" hecklers were not ignorant for calling him a "cracker"? I'm just trying to get my PC thought process correct here.

This is really reminding me of the Pacers-Pistons brawl with some people blaming all the events on the fan throwing the cup.

I don't think people are defending the hecklers for being jerks, but the fact is these are things professionals have to deal with. I'm guessing a comic is less likely to have hacklers if his/her material doesn't suck. It also wouldn't hurt for a comic to act appropriately, like not using a racial slur that is used to attack a large group of people on one person, when dealing with these types of morons.

Richards and Artest weren't the victims.

There's been this discussion before on the word "n*****" and other "really bad slurs" compared to "redneck," or "hillbilly." IMO an insult like "honkee" or "cracker" doesn't have the history like "n*****."

Also, who is saying that it was ok for the guy to call him a "cracker" but was wrong for Kramer calling him "n*****?" I saw one person make the point that Michael started it, but to me that doesn't make it PC for the heckler to call insult him with a racial insult.

LCR, do you have a problems with hecklers at baseball games? I suppose a couple years ago it would have been OK for Craig Monroe to stop patrolling LF, turn around, call me a "honkee" 20 times or so and make a scene because I was asking him to sign my belt and he if he had a receipt???

Yeah right.

Oh I forgot, baseball isn't an "art" like stand-up. :rolly

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
This is really reminding me of the Pacers-Pistons brawl with some people blaming the cup throwing fan for everything.

I don't think people are defending the hecklers for being jerks, but the fact is these are things professional have to deal with. I'm all guessing a comic is less likely to have hacklers if his/her material doesn't suck. It also wouldn't hurt for a comic to act appropriately, like not using a racial slur that is used to attack a large group of people on one person, when dealing with these types of morons.

Richards and Artest weren't the victims.

Actually people have been defending the hecklers. Plenty of comics with solid material have been heckled (see the Bill Hicks "I have a c*** and I'm drunk" tirade he threw at a heckler) Other comics have used slurs and insults to deal with hecklers and there was never any PC "pseudoutrage" about that.

Comics have for ages routinely lambasted the crowd, especially hecklers and nothing was said for those thousands of times it's been done before. Nobody forced these people to buy the tickets. Nobody forced them to sit through the set when they didn't like it. Nobody forced them to open their mouths and start talking s***.

As I've said before in this thread, if this is a lesser known comic we're not even having this conversation because people wouldn't care. This whole idea that he offended "all African Americans" is absolutely laughable. If you're uncomfortable with certain language being thrown around, the envelope being pushed and unpopular thought being uttered -- try not going to a comedy club.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
There's been this discussion before on the word "n*****" and other "really bad slurs" compared to "redneck," or "hillbilly." IMO an insult like "honkee" or "cracker" doesn't have the history like "n*****."

Also, who is saying that it was ok for the guy to call him a "cracker" but was wrong for Kramer calling him "n*****?" I saw one person make the point that Michael started it, but to me that doesn't make it PC for the heckler to call insult him with a racial insult.

LCR, do you have a problems with hecklers at baseball games? I suppose a couple years ago it would have been OK for Craig Monroe to stop patrolling LF, turn around, call me a "honkee" 20 times or so and make a scene because I was asking him to sign my belt and he if he had a receipt???

Yeah right.

Oh I forgot, baseball isn't an "art" like stand-up. :rolly

I'd have no problem with any professional giving a heckler s*** if that heckler earned that s***storm being given.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually people have been defending the hecklers. Plenty of comics with solid material have been heckled (see the Bill Hicks "I have a c*** and I'm drunk" tirade he threw at a heckler) Other comics have used slurs and insults to deal with hecklers and there was never any PC "pseudoutrage" about that.

Any specific examples? Were any of them as famous as Michael Richards? Did these events happened at the same time with the age of the internet? Somebody always has a camera and there are sites that billions of people have access to that host videos so it's much easier for events like these to get attention. I watched the video you posted earlier, and that guy didn't use any racial slurs. He just called her a c*** a ton of times and it reminded me of Geogre Carlin (like you previously mentioned) calling out a heckler. They both do the same thing. They insult the crap out the person using general insults that aren't specific to a race or sex or religion and get the audience on their side to turn on the heckler.

Richards sees on guy heckling him, and immediately insults him due to the color of his skin. This obviously offends and shocks audience members (you can hear the gasps,) and eventually the crowd turns on him by walking out. Nobody was laughing.

Comics have for ages routinely lambasted the crowd, especially hecklers and nothing was said for those thousands of times it's been done before. Nobody forced these people to buy the tickets. Nobody forced them to sit through the set when they didn't like it. Nobody forced them to open their mouths and start talking s***.

Like I said before, if the internet and pocket cameras were around during that time, there would be more people reacting to those events like this one.

You're right that nobody forced then to buy the tickets, or even attend the event, but as a paying customer for anything, you have a right to complain if it doesn't meet up to your expectations. One way is to voice your opinion right on the spot, of course that can be selfish and rude because you are interrupting the other paying audience members experience. If the heckler didn't like the act, he should have just got up and left, let the management know about the expierence, write a letter, or wait until the event is over and express yourself then.

Using your logic you have no right to chant "you f***ed up" or "boring" at wrestling events because "nobody forced you to buy the tickets." Am I the only one who thinks you're way f***ing off base with that thought?

As I've said before in this thread, if this is a lesser known comic we're not even having this conversation because people wouldn't care. This whole idea that he offended "all African Americans" is absolutely laughable. If you're uncomfortable with certain language being thrown around, the envelope being pushed and unpopular thought being uttered -- try not going to a comedy club.

I'd have no problem with any professional giving a heckler s*** if that heckler earned that s***storm being given.

Portable camcorders + Internet + washed up actor/comedian + using racial slurs = huge f***ing deal.

Unless all African Americans are offended by any use of the "N-word," I also think it's silly to say he was offending "all African Americans." So how is it a white kid dressing up as an Indian doing dances at halftime is offense to all those Native Americans of the Illiniwek tribe, yet a white guy using a racial slur to attack somebody isnt? Oh right, I forgot about the childish "he started it" argument. :double rolly

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
Any specific examples? Were any of them as famous as Michael Richards? Did these events happened at the same time with the age of the internet? Somebody always has a camera and there are sites that billions of people have access to that host videos so it's much easier for events like these to get attention. I watched the video you posted earlier, and that guy didn't use any racial slurs. He just called her a c*** a ton of times and it reminded me of Geogre Carlin (like you previously mentioned) calling out a heckler. They both do the same thing. They insult the crap out the person using general insults that aren't specific to a race or sex or religion and get the audience on their side to turn on the heckler.

Richards sees on guy heckling him, and immediately insults him due to the color of his skin. This obviously offends and shocks audience members (you can hear the gasps,) and eventually the crowd turns on him by walking out. Nobody was laughing.

Like I said before, if the internet and pocket cameras were around during that time, there would be more people reacting to those events like this one.

You're right that nobody forced then to buy the tickets, or even attend the event, but as a paying customer for anything, you have a right to complain if it doesn't meet up to your expectations. One way is to voice your opinion right on the spot, of course that can be selfish and rude because you are interrupting the other paying audience members experience. If the heckler didn't like the act, he should have just got up and left, let the management know about the expierence, write a letter, or wait until the event is over and express yourself then.

Using your logic you have no right to chant "you f***ed up" or "boring" at wrestling events because "nobody forced you to buy the tickets." Am I the only one who thinks you're way f***ing off base with that thought?

Portable camcorders + Internet + washed up actor/comedian + using racial slurs = huge f***ing deal.

Unless all African Americans are offended by any use of the "N-word," I also think it's silly to say he was offending "all African Americans." So how is it a white kid dressing up as an Indian doing dances at halftime is offense to all those Native Americans of the Illiniwek tribe, yet a white guy using a racial slur to attack somebody isnt? Oh right, I forgot about the childish "he started it" argument. :double rolly

c*** is a very offensive word for most women and find it very demeaning. I fail to see the difference between one slur being more damaging than another.

As for comics that use dangerous slurs in their acts recently, look no further than Doug Stanhope, Andy Andrist, Sean Rouse amongst others. Plenty of them have used very offensive slurs and offensive comments towards minorities, people with mental handicaps, etc. yet nobody raises any pseudoutrage.

The club should not ban any word and if those blacks yelling want to stop use of the “n-word”, they can start with the black comedians that use it as a staple in their routines. Nobody ever talks about the trashy black racist comedians, that trash whites in their skits and even to white people’s faces in comedy clubs across America.

And as for the Chief reference, there's more important stuff for the UIUC to deal with like the Coke and Colombia issues, the lack of mid-size lectures, the fact that some of the LAS buildings don't meet fire code, etc.

Doug Stanhope weighs in on the Michael Richards issue (bolded portion for emphasis):

If you haven't seen the Michael Richards snapping-on-black-people video, check it out here -http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/aolentertainment/30mz/2006_11/1120_richards_2_dl.mov.

I'll defend him.

Michael Richards - aka Kramer - is a s***ty stand-up comic. f***ing awful. I've seen him live at the Improv in LA years ago and was at the Aspen Comedy Festival eaves-dropping when he was trying to bail out of the event for that same reason. He was s***ting his pants and asking to drop out because he isn't a funny stand-up or a stand-up at all. That was coming from his own mouth. (They convinced him to stay and he may as well have as the Aspen crowds are no more an authentic audience than he is a stand-up.)

So watching the tape as opposed to hearing about it second-hand, I can see it from a comic's point of view. Sure, he was really pissed off at the hecklers. When you're pissed off at someone, you say s*** to piss them off in return. You say whatever you think will hurt them, no matter your own. You call a fat person a pig or a short guy a midget (unless they are a midget, then you call em an elf). Your own mother might be fat or your father short. That's neither here nor there. You need not have any distaste for whores to call a woman a whore if you're fighting with her and know she'll react poorly. Calling someone a cocksucker in the heat of battle doesn't mean that you don't yourself often enjoy the warm and humbling feeling of a knotty cock rafting down your throat.

Let the black person who is innocent of saying something hurtful to someone who is acting like a s***head cast the first stone. If you are trained to believe that 'n*****' is somehow worse than other words, I'd question your logic by calling you an "idiot."

You can see that Richards was trying to qualify the fact that its just a word by cartoonishly repeating it, then saying "see what's buried beneath your soul" in response to the reaction and later by defeatedly trying to point out how words still hold shock value but it was too late and far too out of control.

He was f***ed, no matter how he thought he might save himself.

His first problem lies in that he was angry. You ain't gonna pull that s*** off angry, especially as a segue from black hecklers you just called 'n*****s'. Not even the best, much less Kramer.

Next problem is you ain't gonna pull it off at the Laugh Factory on the best of nights. There is a reason that so many truely awful, hackneyed and trite comics thrive on that stage and that's because the audiences are legendary dunce-capped maroons. They are culled from the sea of low-riding Hondas that cruise the Sunset Strip. They are the dull and empty vessels that crowd food courts in malls and put pictures of people they f***ed on HotOrNot and judge their own self-worth by the ranking.

You're hard-pressed to find a more vapid audience anywhere on any given night in America than at the Laugh Factory. Low-brow intellects in high-dollar sneakers. Of the they will never "get it" on any level higher than American Pie.

Last and most important problem - Michael Richards sucks at stand-up. Even if he hadn't called anybody any type of racial slur but simply tried to make the point that the word 'n*****' still shocks people - without the finger-pointing or the hostile crowd - it still wouldn't have been funny unless he were slipping on a banana peel while running into Jerry's apartment - and then you'd still have to write it out for him.

But I'll still take his side. As far as I'm concerned, yelling at someone that they aren't funny while they are onstage is more offensive than calling someone a n*****. That's because I am a comic and have no history of being black. So, like you, I can only tell you what would bother me. And you can call me a n***** all day, just don't yell out that I'm not funny when I'm onstage.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
c*** is a very offensive word for most women and find it very demeaning. I fail to see the difference between one slur being more damaging than another.

As for comics that use dangerous slurs in their acts recently, look no further than Doug Stanhope, Andy Andrist, Sean Rouse amongst others. Plenty of them have used very offensive slurs and offensive comments towards minorities, people with mental handicaps, etc. yet nobody raises any pseudoutrage.

n***** is more demeaning because of this Country's history with slaves and the whole civil rights issues from the 1960's. c*** isn't that common of a word, has not appeared in print as much as "n*****," and does not refer to a race that makes up a good precentage of our population.

c*** refers to a vagina. I don't know of any vaginas that marched through the streets demanding not to be referenced in that kind of way.

The comedians you listed are nowhere near the popularity level of Richards, and your post about them using comments towards minorities, people with mental handicaps doesn't make it clear if they were talking to a specific heckler, or they were just doing a stand up bit about a person or group of people that may exist.

I really want your thought on people who go to wrestling shows and chant "you f***ed up," "boring," or call wrestlers by their real names and ask about their divorces. Do you have a probelm with them? Do they have no right to complain because WWE didn't "force the people to buy tickets?"

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
n***** is more demeaning because of this Country's history with slaves and the whole civil rights issues from the 1960's. c*** isn't that common of a word, has not appeared in print as much as "n*****," and does not refer to a race that makes up a good precentage of our population.

c*** refers to a vagina. I don't know of any vaginas that marched through the streets demanding not to be referenced in that kind of way.

The comedians you listed are nowhere near the popularity level of Richards, and your post about them using comments towards minorities, people with mental handicaps doesn't make it clear if they were talking to a specific heckler, or they were just doing a stand up bit about a person or group of people that may exist.

I really want your thought on people who go to wrestling shows and chant "you f***ed up," "boring," or call wrestlers by their real names and ask about their divorces. Do you have a probelm with them? Do they have no right to complain because WWE didn't "force the people to buy tickets?"

People don't force them to buy tickets, you are correct. Given the current product of the E seen on television, I can't figure out why anybody in their right mind would purchase a ticket. Too much emphasis is given to the mentality behind this Homer Simpson quote: "Marge, this ticket doesn't just give me a seat. It also gives me the right, no, the duty, to make a complete ass of myself." If they really hated the product they'd either a. not buy a ticket in the first place or b. talk to management and make it known that they were not satisfied with the product if they did buy a ticket.

And oh yeah, plenty of women have marched throughout history in protest of derrogatory terms for them and unequal treatment given to them.

"But I'll still take his side. As far as I'm concerned, yelling at someone that they aren't funny while they are onstage is more offensive than calling someone a n*****. That's because I am a comic and have no history of being black. So, like you, I can only tell you what would bother me. And you can call me a n***** all day, just don't yell out that I'm not funny when I'm onstage."

That is utterly ridiculous.

Stand-up is all about the immediate response. Every comic I've ever heard interviewed has said that's what they love about it - you tell a joke, and you get the wave of laughter back immediately.

If a comic is simply NOT funny, or if they are normally funny but mail their performance in, they SHOULD be heckled or booed - that's the immediate response.

If a comic can't handle heckling, or doesn't know how to effectively confront hecklers, he or she really shouldn't be onstage. Go make comedy records, do radio shows or whatever, but if you can't take the negative feedback, you don't deserve the positive feedback.

It appears there are two camps here, the first is the anyone who uses the "n-word" is a racist, and those that believe when in a heated argument a person will grab the words that would hurt the most, regardless of their feelings about race, sexual identity, etc.

I'm in the "hurt the most" camp. Telling that heckler their mom dresses them funny would not have shut them up. Richard's felt he had to go to the top of the list, the most vile, insulting thing he could think of. That would be something the person has no control over, his race, looks, size, etc. Everyone here knows the worse insults we could toss at someone. To claim that in your worse moments, your most enraged, you wouldn't reach back and grab those words, would make you either a Saint or you are fooling yourself.

I agree he was wrong, a poor comic, an even worse apologist, but to label him a racist, which implies a systematic, long held belief, based on this one instance, isn't fair.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
It appears there are two camps here, the first is the anyone who uses the "n-word" is a racist, and those that believe when in a heated argument a person will grab the words that would hurt the most, regardless of their feelings about race, sexual identity, etc.

I'm in the "hurt the most" camp. Telling that heckler their mom dresses them funny would not have shut them up. Richard's felt he had to go to the top of the list, the most vile, insulting thing he could think of. That would be something the person has no control over, his race, looks, size, etc. Everyone here knows the worse insults we could toss at someone. To claim that in your worse moments, your most enraged, you wouldn't reach back and grab those words, would make you either a Saint or you are fooling yourself.

I agree he was wrong, a poor comic, an even worse apologist, but to label him a racist, which implies a systematic, long held belief, based on this one instance, isn't fair.

QFGDMFT.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
looks like Gloria Allred is suing on behalf of the 'victims'.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061124/D8LJNIB00.html

f***ing PC bulls*** run amok.

"It's not enough to say 'I'm sorry,'" she said.

She did not mention a specific figure, but pitched the idea as a way for the comic to avoid a lawsuit.

"Our clients were vulnerable," Allred said. "He went after them. He singled them out and he taunted them, and he did it in a closed room where they were captive."

The video of Richards' outburst shows several people getting up and walking out as he shouts at the audience.

--

Here's an idea you may want to play around with Ms. Allred, if they were captive then how the f*** were people getting up and walking out?! And if they hadn't said anything, they wouldn't have been verbally blasted.

These guys want personal notoriety and nothing else. Victims, my ass. Is she going to sue for every standup that blasts a heckler?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
f***ing PC bulls*** run amok.

"It's not enough to say 'I'm sorry,'" she said.

She did not mention a specific figure, but pitched the idea as a way for the comic to avoid a lawsuit.

"Our clients were vulnerable," Allred said. "He went after them. He singled them out and he taunted them, and he did it in a closed room where they were captive."

The video of Richards' outburst shows several people getting up and walking out as he shouts at the audience.

--

Here's an idea you may want to play around with Ms. Allred, if they were captive then how the f*** were people getting up and walking out?! And if they hadn't said anything, they wouldn't have been verbally blasted.

These guys want personal notoriety and nothing else. Victims, my ass. Is she going to sue for every standup that blasts a heckler?

He should have just tasered their asses.

I just got done reading this entire thread. LCR makes the best points. I think comics can pretty much say anything and it's ok. It is their profession to be funny, be satirical, be offensive, to test the limits of what is "ok" and otherwise entertain.

The problem is that comedy is totally subjective. Just because one person finds something unfunny, doesn't completely eliminate it from being funny to another. the comic may just lose the attention of the unentertained audience member.

There were plenty of people laughing at the beginning of the tirade and then the crowd got sucked into the guy saying "that was uncalled for" and turned on Richards, which they had a right to do, although Richards had a right to blast the guy in the first place.

Richards lost the crowd by trying to make a point to be funny in an angry and racist way and it was funny to some, but ultimately, as many have said, he didn't do it in an intellectual or humorous way, so he lost the crowd. That's what he's guilty of, not doing his job. He failed to keep them entertained and failed to do it in a funny way.

As for some of you, who are suggesting shades of racism, i.e. N***** being MORE racist than another word, that's just as ignorant as saying the word in the first place. The implication of that is a black man can be more offended by the n-word than a woman for the c-word. They are equally offensive and both individuals have equal reason to BE offended. Regardless of history, hate is hate and I'm pretty sure that although the c-word hasn't "been around for a while" women may feel they've been oppressed for a longer time than blacks.

but I like my women submissive, so what do I care?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
I just got done reading this entire thread. LCR makes the best points. I think comics can pretty much say anything and it's ok. It is their profession to be funny, be satirical, be offensive, to test the limits of what is "ok" and otherwise entertain.

The problem is that comedy is totally subjective. Just because one person finds something unfunny, doesn't completely eliminate it from being funny to another. the comic may just lose the attention of the unentertained audience member.

There were plenty of people laughing at the beginning of the tirade and then the crowd got sucked into the guy saying "that was uncalled for" and turned on Richards, which they had a right to do, although Richards had a right to blast the guy in the first place.

Richards lost the crowd by trying to make a point to be funny in an angry and racist way and it was funny to some, but ultimately, as many have said, he didn't do it in an intellectual or humorous way, so he lost the crowd. That's what he's guilty of, not doing his job. He failed to keep them entertained and failed to do it in a funny way.

As for some of you, who are suggesting shades of racism, i.e. N***** being MORE racist than another word, that's just as ignorant as saying the word in the first place. The implication of that is a black man can be more offended by the n-word than a woman for the c-word. They are equally offensive and both individuals have equal reason to BE offended. Regardless of history, hate is hate and I'm pretty sure that although the c-word hasn't "been around for a while" women may feel they've been oppressed for a longer time than blacks.

but I like my women submissive, so what do I care?

/faints

//gets the smelling salts

Holy sweet merciful crap, PA and I actually agreed on something.

alert the presses!

Los Angeles, CA (AHN) - Let's hope Jamie Foxx and Michael Richards don't bump into each other on the red carpet because there's bound to be a showdown if they do. And you know it will all most likely be captured on tape.

Jamie Foxx was not happy when he heard about Michael Richards racist tirade at the Laugh Factory in Hollywood. In fact, he was so upset about Richards' repulsive rant that he insists he's not going to let the former "Seinfeld" star get away with it.

The Oscar-winning actor says Richards better watch out if the two ever come into physical contact with each other because it won't be pretty. The 38-year-old says he was so offended by the racist remarks that he wants to set Richards in his place.

According to EntertainmentWise.com, he said, "When I see him, it's on. I'm not going to let him get away with it. If I'd have been in the audience he would've had to put his dukes up. He probably should go get a private island somewhere, cause if I see him..."

Way to show some class there Mr. Foxx, I would say what I think of you, but it's probably not Soxtalk appropriate. What an idiot.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
/faints

//gets the smelling salts

Holy sweet merciful crap, PA and I actually agreed on something.

alert the presses!

I knew that was coming.... :lol:

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
Way to show some class there Mr. Foxx, I would say what I think of you, but it's probably not Soxtalk appropriate. What an idiot.

If I were Richards I'd sue. Those are threatening remarks.

If I'd have been in the audience he would've had to put his dukes up.

although he may have to go back to the 30s to do it. Who puts up their dukes anymore? :D

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)

Jamie Foxx, enjoy a nice cup of STFU.

It's funny how the word n***** being said six times is not offensive to you when you're making money hand over fist in "Gold Digger" but when a white person uses it, suddenly you want to fight them.

Hypocrite [hip-uh-krit] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

3. Jamie Foxx

I can see many places where Foxx would not be a hypocrite in this I can do it, but you can't scenario. Red can call Eric a dumbass, but would probably object if Bob called Eric a dumbass. In the throes of passion, you could possibly call your wife a slut but may have a problem if PA did. I have a friend that refers to himself as a dumb Pollock, but I am certain would be hurt if I did in a certain may.

A certain way. Here is another factor, the same words can be used in many ways. As noted earlier, Richards was probably using those words to hurt. Foxx can use it and it's almost like a secret password with the people that share that same race. Someone outside the group uses the same word, it can have an entirely different meaning and an entirely different reaction.

I don't see hypocrisy with Foxx. I see someone trying to gather some publicity, maybe a little "street cred" before jumping in his Mercedes, but not hypocrisy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I can see many places where Foxx would not be a hypocrite in this I can do it, but you can't scenario. Red can call Eric a dumbass, but would probably object if Bob called Eric a dumbass. In the throes of passion, you could possibly call your wife a slut but may have a problem if PA did. I have a friend that refers to himself as a dumb Pollock, but I am certain would be hurt if I did in a certain may.

A certain way. Here is another factor, the same words can be used in many ways. As noted earlier, Richards was probably using those words to hurt. Foxx can use it and it's almost like a secret password with the people that share that same race. Someone outside the group uses the same word, it can have an entirely different meaning and an entirely different reaction.

I don't see hypocrisy with Foxx. I see someone trying to gather some publicity, maybe a little "street cred" before jumping in his Mercedes, but not hypocrisy.

"I heard what you said Michael Richards" - Jaime Foxx (worst oscar receipiant ever)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 08:02 AM)

In the song, the term is meant as divisive and insulting, the same way that Richards used it. For some reason it is okay for Foxx to use it when he's padding his own wallet but he wants to throw punches when somebody else uses it in the exact same fashion. He is trying to get some more cred but he is still being a hypocrite. If the word is so evil, then he shouldn't be using it.