Baseball America's Top Ten Sox Prospects

maggsmaggs

My List...

http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/11/12/15543/984

Pretty close. I left off Russell (his only discernable skill is being tall. ceiling is probably Jon Rauch, middle reliever) and Long (he was terrible in his debut. If Rogers was looking for relievers, why he didn't include the respectable Omogrosso or the freaking amazing Oneli Perez is beyond me)

Rogers missed the boat on Egbert, who can get by without elite stuff. 2 HR in 160IP is pretty amazing.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 07:40 PM)
worst sox top 10 I can remember

two 2006 draftees, a sure sign of trouble in the soft system.

We need to improve our scouting.

It's fallen badly in last four or five years.

That's not that uncommon to have two recent draft picks in the Top 10. I am pretty sure when Anderson and Sweeney were drafted, they were in the top 10. Not to mention the years we had multiple first round picks, there were definately some recent draft picks in the top 10. The bad thing is we don't have a front-line starter in the system or a sure-fire all-star type offensive player. Fields and Sweeney are good, but both have significant weaknesses, something Chris Young didnt have.

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
as bad as it is now, the mid to late 80s were worse.

Himes made up for it with McDowell in 1987, thank you Cubs for taking Harkey the guy the Sox really wanted, Ventura in 1988, Thomas in 1989, thank you Phillies for taking Jeff Jackson, the guy the Sox really wanted, and Fernandez in 1990. A pretty incredible streak. He also got a couple of decent players in later rounds like Ray Durham. I think Himes also got Jason Bere in the 36th round. JR couldn't stand him(Himes) personally so he was shown the door. The late 80's weren't bad. Not a lot of quantity but plenty of quality. Taking Kurt Brown in 1985 when Barry Bonds was still on the board was not something Roland Hemond or his scouts would put on their resumes.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Himes made up for it with McDowell in 1987, thank you Cubs for taking Harkey the guy the Sox really wanted, Ventura in 1988, Thomas in 1989, thank you Phillies for taking Jeff Jackson, the guy the Sox really wanted, and Fernandez in 1990. A pretty incredible streak. He also got a couple of decent players in later rounds like Ray Durham. I think Himes also got Jason Bere in the 36th round. JR couldn't stand him(Himes) personally so he was shown the door. The late 80's weren't bad. Not a lot of quantity but plenty of quality. Taking Kurt Brown in 1985 when Barry Bonds was still on the board was not something Roland Hemond or his scouts would put on their resumes.

He wasn't alone. Most people didn't like him. He was really good at player evaluation just not a "people" person. Is that PC enough?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
Young did have a significant weakness when he was traded, his strikeout rate. He's since corrected that though.

He stopped swinging at those 0-2 breaking pitches in the dirt. Chris also cut down on his swing when behind in the counts which he struggled with last year. Now his K/BB rate is 52/71.