Pierre to Dodgers

CanOfCorn

Thank you Jesus. Thank you. Man did I not want this guy.

This fills in Kenny Lofton's spot for the Dodgers, which helps them some. Trouble is of course that offensively, the Dodgers biggest problem last year was their total lack of power, and with the loss of J.D. Drew, the only way it's going to get better is for guys like Betemit, Martin, Ethier, and maybe Kemp to step up their power hitting a lot more. Especially as Nomah and Kent get older.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
But that top of the order...whew...Pierre and Furcal. That's some major speed up there. Unless the Dodgers would want to part with Furcal?

You know...with the surplus of power bats that the White Sox have, and the combination of Furcal and young talent the Dodgers have, there might be something that could be done there. If the Sox were open to trading Jermaine Dye...that would be an incredibly perfect match.

The Dodgers are adding James Loney's bat in RF. He's a 1Bman by nature, but he can definitely handle RF, which was the point of resigning Nomar.

The only way I can see them shipping Uribe to the Sox is in a potential deal for a starting pitcher. We'll pretty much just have to see about that.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
I have a really, really hard time justifying trading Dye, for almost anything.

However, Furcal makes alot of f***ing sense right now.

Yeah, I know, I don't like the idea of trading our WS MVP either, but as a business decision alone, looking towards the future, that has the potential to be a really, really good deal for both sides. The Dodgers need power. JD has power. JD has one year left on his contract, and another year like last year and he'll be looking at more money per year than Konerko got. JD also is coming off a career year, so his trade value could be its highest. JD also plays at a position where the Dodgers just lost one of their better bats. And the Dodgers have an awfully large pool of talent waiting in the winds over there.

The Dodgers might not mind Uribe and his big number of strikeouts if he gave them a few more home runs as well.

The cost to LA would have to be through the roof given what JD did last year, but they're in a position where they could pay through the roof and still be stocked for quite some time.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
I have a really, really hard time justifying trading Dye, for almost anything.

However, Furcal makes alot of f***ing sense right now.

i agree, but what do we do with LF and RF? i could see opening the season with one of Sweeney/Fields, but both?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
Sweeney could play RF, and I think the Sox could get away with it.

But Im not sure what would happen with LF.

It doesnt matter, Dye isn't moving.

Sign Shannon Stewart to an incentive laden deal to play LF?

Or deal Garcia/Vazquez for Humber and Lastsings

an outfield of Sweeney Anderson Milledge for the next 6+ years :shades

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
Our Future might look better, but 06 might be a long year with

Furcal

Gooch

Thome

Kong

Crede

Lastings

Sweeney

Anderson

Mark

Count

Garland

Javy

Mac

I suppose you could get away with Stewart in LF, but Dye makes too big of an impact in the lineup, even if he does regress a bit.

'07 would be even longer :)

And yes, I agree completely with you. Kenny said he wanted to tweak the team. By tweak, he meant trade about 4 players, sooo...

But, he didn't say he wanted to blow the f***ing thing up, which is what trading Dye would be.

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
Sign Shannon Stewart to an incentive laden deal to play LF?

Or deal Garcia/Vazquez for Humber and Lastsings

an outfield of Sweeney Anderson Milledge for the next 6+ years :shades

That would definitely be an outstanding defensive outfield.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
But, he didn't say he wanted to blow the f***ing thing up, which is what trading Dye would be.

So, based on that statement, can we all agree that KW is going to blow the F***ing thing up? :P

Seriously though, you may go into an offseason not planning on blowing the whole thing up, and then run into a team or two who are desperate enough for your guys that they're willing to turn your team into a title contender for the next 10 years, and the only cost is you have to part with a couple guys who are a year from Free Agency?

Given what teams are spending for veterans on the FA Market this offseason, you can't rule out the possibility of some team giving up the farm for a couple of our guys, and if that happens, I wouldn't be too mad.

Yea, i've already seen a WS title and parade on the south side in my lifetime. I wouldn't be against moving dye and a SP or 2 to keep this team competive in this division for a long time.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
But that top of the order...whew...Pierre and Furcal. That's some major speed up there. Unless the Dodgers would want to part with Furcal?

I think that will be a real nice 1-2 punch for the Dodgers and in the NL that will really be nice for them. A bit too many years/money but he's a good player who is vastly under-rated and appreciated on this board. Again, another team that can afford to spend an extra couple million a year as they work to restore there fan base now that a 2nd team has stole there thunder (see Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
I think that will be a real nice 1-2 punch for the Dodgers and in the NL that will really be nice for them. A bit too many years/money but he's a good player who is vastly under-rated and appreciated on this board. Again, another team that can afford to spend an extra couple million a year as they work to restore there fan base now that a 2nd team has stole there thunder (see Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim).

Well, yes, that is a good 1-2 punch at the top of their order, but it still leaves them with a major potential weakness, in that they really don't have a ton of punch in their lineup to drive those guys in, especially if Kent/Nomar constantly struggle with Injuries as they seem like they will.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
I wonder what the plan is though, because with all the signings, we apparently are not involved in anything . It bugs me that we have to trade for similar players other teams get without losing players. We gain by losing-and that costs depth.

So our choice right now is between expending depth from our minor league organization (and the majors to some extent) to bring in talent from other teams or getting into spending matches with teams that have almost completely opened the checkbook?

I see no problem at all with standing pat in this market. In the late 90's, probably culminating in 2000 with ARod and Manny, there was a huge surge in spending, much of it questionable, by baseball's owners as they realized they had more money than they were paying out in salary and decided to use it to try to win games and bring in more fans.

Then, for a couple of years, suddenly a lot of those insane contracts dried up, and you just didn't see people matching $180 million or $250 million deals like you'd expect if contracts would keep going up. Teams overspent to bring in talent when they had money, and suddenly the teams who had bided their time a little bit were able to find some potential bargains, like right fielders for $5-$6 million a year and so on.

Now suddenly, baseball's revenue stream has expanded again, there are more teams with more money, and there is a lack of people on the market to take advantage of that money, and therefore, we're running into another insane surge of spending, $17 million a year deals for guys in their 30's, weak hitting leadoff guys who rely on speed pushing $10 million a year, $51 million just for the right to negotiate with a pitcher, etc.

The smart money is not being spent in the FA Market this year, the desperate money is. The smart money is realizing it's only a matter of time before the teams dumping out these contracts find themselves having overspent their new revenues, leaving themselves hamstrung in the future and creating the opportunity for more intelligent deals for the smart teams down the road.