Morneau wins AL MVP

southsider2k5

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
"yay"?

:huh

He's a whiney douche bag who said he wanted to see "anybody but the White Sox in the playoffs." They'll be wearing parkas in hell before I root for that tool.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
"yay"?

:huh

He's a whiney douche bag who said he wanted to see "anybody but the White Sox in the playoffs." They'll be wearing parkas in hell before I root for that tool.

I can't argue the "whiney douche bag" part, but in regards to the "anybody but the White Sox in the playoffs" quote, I believe that was out of respect, IIRC. As in, the White Sox are a dangerous team, and we we don't want to have to face them in the playoffs. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what I remember getting out of that.

Either way, I actually thought it should have been Jeter, as it was the first season that he didn't deserve the overrated tag and actually produced MVP-type numbers. But I certainly wasn't rooting for him, so whatever.

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Joe Cowley voted Jeter 6th.

Ridiculous.

good article from ESPN:

I think all carping about the NL MVP voters getting their choice wrong must immediately cease. The AL's voters couldn't even correctly identify the most valuable Twin, never mind wrapping their heads around a whole league.

The reality of baseball is that a great offensive player at an up-the-middle position is substantially more valuable than a slightly better hitter at a corner position. And when that up-the-middle player is one of the best fielders at his position in baseball, there's absolutely no comparison. Joe Mauer was more valuable than Justin Morneau this past season. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the first thing about baseball.

Mauer had a 54-point edge in OBP over Morneau, which overwhelms the advantage Morneau had in slugging percentage (a 52-point edge). But Mauer won the Gold Glove for his position this past year, and he is arguably the best-fielding catcher in the game when you consider all aspects of catching. Catchers who field and hit the way Mauer does are extremely valuable, just as shortstops who hit like Derek Jeter does and play passable defense are extremely valuable. First basemen who hit like Morneau just shouldn't win MVP awards in years when there are Mauers and Jeters and other candidates to choose from.

Even going by the stats that the dinosaur voters have favored for as long as the MVP award has existed, Morneau's season wasn't all that impressive. He tied for 12th in the AL in homers. He was second in RBI -- seven behind David Ortiz -- and just nine ahead of the least clutch player to ever be clutch, Alex Rodriguez. He was seventh in batting average, a few miles south of Mauer and Jeter, the other major MVP candidate. It's hard to fathom why any voter would put Morneau at the top of his ballot with so many obviously better candidates -- Mauer, Jeter, Ortiz, Jermaine Dye, unanimous Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana or the criminally neglected Carlos Guillen (the best player on the AL pennant winner) -- and in reality, more than half the voters did just that. If you don't watch the games, fellas, don't fill out your ballots.

Incidentally, the following voters should be removed from the voting process permanently:

• The guy who put Jeter sixth.

• The guy who put Mauer 10th ... and the five guys who left him off their ballots entirely.

• The three guys who put Frank Thomas second.

• The guy who put A.J. Pierzynski 10th.

And while we're at it, how the heck did Thomas -- the third-best designated hitter in the American League -- end up fourth in the voting? It's just more evidence that the bulk of this year's voters don't understand what is actually valuable in baseball: Players who hit and play good defense up the middle are the most valuable position players in the game. The NL had only one such candidate this year (Carlos Beltran), so it's understandable that that award went to a corner bat. It's time for some of these voters to put aside their fantasy-baseball mentality -- one that assumes that RBI measure something important and that OBP is a hip-hop song from the early 1990s -- and to take the MVP vote seriously again.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
• The guy who put Jeter sixth.

• The guy who put Mauer 10th ... and the five guys who left him off their ballots entirely.

• The three guys who put Frank Thomas second.

• The guy who put A.J. Pierzynski 10th.

How about the guy that put Dye 9th???

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I don't think Thomas deserved more points than Dye.

i can kind of understand this. thomas was oakland's offense. the white sox had a ton of offense coming from all over the lineup. in that regard thomas was the more valuable player. thomas was just a dh though too. not saying i agree, but i can see how some would rationalize that thomas was more valuable.

Anyone know how MVP points are distributed among first place, second place, third place votes? Cowley's shunning of Jeter may have been the difference.

Personally, I love it when people are upset. Anyone else just have a smile cross their face when a large group of people (not associated with the White Sox, of course) are aggrivated? It's hilarious to observe. Defying Jeter his MVP award may have caused ESPN to have a heart attack -- and they'll likely reference it forever -- but it's well worth the outrage.

While I typically adopt a belief where the most deserving candidate should be awarded their achievements, I take exception with this particular MVP race.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Here's Cowley on WFAN with Mike and Maddog earlier today. They pretty much destroy him.

http://www.wfan.com/episode_download.php?c...ontentId=173121

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Anyone know how MVP points are distributed among first place, second place, third place votes? Cowley's shunning of Jeter may have been the difference.

14pts for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd

7 for 4th

6 for 5th

5 for 6th

4 for 7th

3 for 8th

2 for 9th

1 for 10th

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Here's Cowley on WFAN with Mike and Maddog earlier today. They pretty much destroy him.

http://www.wfan.com/episode_download.php?c...ontentId=173121

14pts for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd

7 for 4th

6 for 5th

5 for 6th

4 for 7th

3 for 8th

2 for 9th

1 for 10th

Well, that destroys my conspiracy theory. Didn't think they difference among second place and below was one point.

If Cowley or Detroit's John Lowe actually knew how votes were to be distributed among players, they could have atleast voted several spots higher and saved face. I'm sure Cowley will have the burden of this on shoulder for quite awhile. May jeopardize his career if he had any aspirations of moving up past the Sun Times.

Guess he better not pilot a plane anytime soon

Too many choices of douchebags, but I probably would've given it to Ortiz, he's a beast, but it depends on what you go by to vote. Of course, the DH and team record part would hurt him, but I don't interpret it as all this 'most valuable to a winning team blah blah blah', I see it as best stats. If you want to factor in defense, then go vote for a gold glove

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 02:57 AM)
Guess he better not pilot a plane anytime soon

Too many choices of douchebags, but I probably would've given it to Ortiz, he's a beast, but it depends on what you go by to vote. Of course, the DH and team record part would hurt him, but I don't interpret it as all this 'most valuable to a winning team blah blah blah', I see it as best stats .

So why hate on Pronk?

Ortiz - .287 54(12.7 HR/PA) 137 .413/.636/1.049 in 686 PAs

Hafner - .308 42(13.4 HR/PA) 117 .439/.659/1.097 in 563 PAs

If you want to factor in defense, then go vote for a gold glove

Actually, that's based on offense and popularity. Jeter's been one of the worst defensive SS's for a while, yet he's won 3 straight gold gloves. I wonder why...?