Contract talk

southsider2k5

Its kinda funny looking back how mortified people were at the thought of Garland and Contreras both getting 3 years 29 million dollar extentions. Today those deals are bargains, which also got me thinking about contracts going forward... With Mark Buehrle looking at a BIG extension in his future, are people in support of breaking the bank for Mark, or how would they react if Mark asked for a big deal. Just as a stab in the dark lets say something like 7 years, $105 million to make it $15 million a year on average.

I would say, welcome to the chicago white sox Reyes, Anderson and Rasmus.

Jerry has made exceptions with faces of the franchise though so i don't know, 7 years is a very long time for a pitcher with as many innings as mark has on his arm.

My guess is he will be gone even though pitching is the name of the game. My feelling is that Kenny is trying to stock up with young pitchers tyhat have a real upside side so he can afford to let guys like Buerhle, Vazquez and Garcia go when there contracts are up. Just my guess though.

I can't imagine Jerry will sign Mark for over 4 years...unless there are some option years in there. I think we need to see how he bounces back this year. If he can go back to the Buehrle of old, then yes, break the bank for an left handed innings eater that plays to the defense.

If he has another year like '06, then offer him a contract a bit better than Garland and Contreras, but for 3 years.

If he has a worse year...offer him the same contract as Garland and Contreras. Maybe tack on some incentives.

I think '07 is going to go a LOOONG way in what we do with Mark.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
I can't imagine Jerry will sign Mark for over 4 years...unless there are some option years in there. I think we need to see how he bounces back this year. If he can go back to the Buehrle of old, then yes, break the bank for an left handed innings eater that plays to the defense.

If he has another year like '06, then offer him a contract a bit better than Garland and Contreras, but for 3 years.

If he has a worse year...offer him the same contract as Garland and Contreras. Maybe tack on some incentives.

I think '07 is going to go a LOOONG way in what we do with Mark.

Barry Zito's contract is going to be the measuring stick for Mark's next contract. Their careers have been comparable to this point, short of the Cy Young award Zito won.

The White Sox generally don't go more than 3 years with pitchers. I think they gave Navarro 4 years and were prepared to give Alex Fernandez 4 years. I can't see them giving Buerhle more than 4 years, maybe if he returns to form there's a slight chance at 5, so chances are after 2007 if not before the end of 2007-he gone.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 07:55 AM)
The White Sox generally don't go more than 3 years with pitchers. I think they gave Navarro 4 years and were prepared to give Alex Fernandez 4 years. I can't see them giving Buerhle more than 4 years, maybe if he returns to form there's a slight chance at 5, so chances are after 2007 if not before the end of 2007-he gone.

I have a real feeling that if the Sox aren't willing to go into Oswalt territory (5 years), then there's no shot at resigning Buehrle.

I think the Sox will re-up Buehrle, almost out of necessity. He is the only LHSP on the team. The only other scenario is if the Sox pick someone up like Willis who is still under Arb via trade within the next year.

Here is the FA Crop for LHSP in 2007:

Jeremy Affeldt

Mark Buerhle

Doug Davis

Casey Fossum

Randy Johnson

Eric Milton

Odalis Perez

Kenny Rogers

Glendon Rusch

JR will not sign a pitcher for more than 4-5 years. And I highly doubt he will do it for 5. This is why the trade for one of starting pitchers is important. You have a few established veterans and slide in a young pitcher each year and keep the rotation going. You trade for some veterans who only have a few years left on thier deal ie Vazquez. This will build a good pitching staff.

I think this is the reason the recent drafts have focused on safe picks. They may not be studs but you have a much better chance of having that cheap pitcher in the rotation on a consistent basis. Whether this philosophy will be good enough to wins another WS (I still love saying another not if we can win one) remians to be seen. The White Sox will always operate on a budget so the thoery seems sound to me.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
JR will not sign a pitcher for more than 4-5 years. And I highly doubt he will do it for 5. This is why the trade for one of starting pitchers is important. You have a few established veterans and slide in a young pitcher each year and keep the rotation going. You trade for some veterans who only have a few years left on thier deal ie Vazquez. This will build a good pitching staff.

I think this is the reason the recent drafts have focused on safe picks. They may not be studs but you have a much better chance of having that cheap pitcher in the rotation on a consistent basis. Whether this philosophy will be good enough to wins another WS (I still love saying another not if we can win one) remians to be seen. The White Sox will always operate on a budget so the thoery seems sound to me.

Your exactly right. Thats what Detroit has been doing the last few years. Get quality draft picks and get good players in return through trades. Oh yeah, lets not forget about Beane in Oakland too.

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Your exactly right. Thats what Detroit has been doing the last few years. Get quality draft picks and get good players in return through trades. Oh yeah, lets not forget about Beane in Oakland too.

The problem is identifying and then drafting the quality players. It is one thing to have the picks, it is another to get good value from them.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
The problem is identifying and then drafting the quality players. It is one thing to have the picks, it is another to get good value from them.

No doubt. One of the problems for the sox has been drafting quality pitching. I will say that Broadway looks like he could be a solid 4 or 5 pitcher for us and who knows he could do better.

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)

They were also losing 100 games a year, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to draft top pitchers... should we try that too?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
They were also losing 100 games a year, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to draft top pitchers... should we try that too?

The A's have excellent pitching and when was the last time they lost 100 games?

I know what you're saying about the Tigers, but the Sox have flaws in how they develop pitchers. Not every great pitcher is a top 5 pick.

Bob