Scotty Po

aboz56

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
You sign Roberts to a 3 year contract and IF he comes up big next season, he can always be traded as long as they don't give him a no-trade. It may be worth the gamble.

Please. The guy lost his burst. If he can't steal, he's worthless. He hasn't been very good for at least a year and a half.

If we sign Dave Roberts to a 3 year deal (why???) and he does have a great season in the leadoff role, we wouldn't trade him. That's a hard role to fill as we saw this past year. If we find a fit, we're not going to move him.

Note - I don't want Dave Roberts. He's a nice role player, but I'd rather stick with Pods for one more season than overpay for Roberts.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing Pods will be back. However, i can see KW making a strong push at Carl Crawford. Many of you seem to be worried about our pitching staff after 2007 and you rightfully should. But the only way we would get Crawford is if we trade Mac and a couple of top of the line prospects such as Fields or Owens.

Is it a risk?? Yea, its a HUGE risk. But a move like this can help the White Sox win the World Series in 2007. For the most part isn't that what they are playing for?

Then what happens in 2008?? Well if we win it all in 2007, then i say Buerhle will re-sign and that would officially end the Cardinal talk. Garcia would be the only one to walk via free agency and the Sox could plug in a guy like Broadway into that 5th spot.

What i'm saying is the Sox can win it all next year with the 5 starters they already have. Will it suck to lose a guy like BMac? YES, but in order to get something (and Crawford is a BIG something) you have to give something. And at this point KW should really consider this. You figure KW's #1 priority will be to keep Crede at 3B for a LONG time so we can afford to lose Fields.

What are your thoughts on this? We may just keep Pods as our 4th OF or i believe we can get a pretty decent reliever for him. Thoughts??!?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
If you could get Roberts at 3/15, he should have been signed yesterday. If Roberts has a 07 like he did in 06(I can very easily see that) you won't have a problem finding a taker if you feel Sweeney/Fields are ready to take over full time.

I agree, look at Sarge JR (10mil a yr. this offseason), teams wouldn't hesitate to trade for a Roberts at his price.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 05:18 AM)
We have such a short window though with this current team, and like others have said, KW will have failed us if he didn't upgrade at the leadoff/LF spot. The Southtown reports that we're more likely now to bring Pods back. I can't believe that's even a consideration after his pathetic effort last season.

First off, Pods has been an every other year producer. He's on track to have a decent season this year. Secondly, KW will not necessarily have failed if doesn't find a new leadoff hitter. There are very little options out there, and signing Matthews, Pierre, Soriano under the deals they received would have been dumb for us. There still may be some possibilities, but I'm hesistant to have KW force something that isn't ideal for our future as well.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
I agree, look at Sarge JR (10mil a yr. this offseason), teams wouldn't hesitate to trade for a Roberts at his price.

I don't doubt that you are correct about this - Roberts will get a nice deal because teams overpay in free agency, and a lot of teams can use a lead off hitter, which Roberts has done a nice job recently.

I say, let him go to the Cubs, or whoever else wants to overpay for him.

The guy had a nice season. I'd rather take a chance on Pods' coming in motivated at saving his job, and trying to rebound from a bad season. Will he be the answer ? No idea, but we have Sweeney right behind pushing him, and if Pods' does start bad, or Sweeney outperforms him, then maybe we have our solution inhouse.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
First off, Pods has been an every other year producer. He's on track to have a decent season this year. Secondly, KW will not necessarily have failed if doesn't find a new leadoff hitter. There are very little options out there, and signing Matthews, Pierre, Soriano under the deals they received would have been dumb for us. There still may be some possibilities, but I'm hesistant to have KW force something that isn't ideal for our future as well.

Unless you're willing to significantly overpay for free agents, or trade away Brandon McCarthy (amongst others) for a player like Crawford, it's going to be tough to find another lead off hitter.

Watch a lot of those teams who are making these signings - give them a year or two, and they will be trying to get out from under those contracts.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)

Come on, we're not talking about Saberhagen here. Pods has a very limited track record, and he showed absolutely nothing last season to make us think he'll be a force in the league again. As somone said earlier, KW is nuts if he thinks he can go to war with the same team from last season. Look around....the AL gets stronger every single day it seems like.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Come on, we're not talking about Saberhagen here. Pods has a very limited track record, and he showed absolutely nothing last season to make us think he'll be a force in the league again. As somone said earlier, KW is nuts if he thinks he can go to war with the same team from last season. Look around....the AL gets stronger every single day it seems like.

I'm not discussing other potential moves, merely the leadoff hitter. Pods has had two pretty good years out of his four, so he does have history of producing. I'm all for getting stronger, it's a matter of which areas and what's available.

I'm not clamoring for Podsednik's return but I honestly think that we'd have easily made the playoffs if Buehrle had been mildly respectable after Zambrano homered off of him and if Logan/Politte hadn't been so awful to start the season.

I also believe we'd be just fine with a few new arms in the pen.

Besides, I think Sweeney could adequately replace Podsednik.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 05:18 AM)
We have such a short window though with this current team, and like others have said, KW will have failed us if he didn't upgrade at the leadoff/LF spot. The Southtown reports that we're more likely now to bring Pods back. I can't believe that's even a consideration after his pathetic effort last season.

The sox do have a short window to win with the current roster of players. But getting a new lead off man this offseason should be part of KW's "3 yr plan".

Step one is to get younger in the rotation. Bmac in and one of the current SP's out. Step two is to get younger with position players. That's why Josh Fields and Sweeney should play a big part of the sox future, with at least one in line to start 2007. My guess is Fields, if the Sox feel he's major league ready.

I have no problem with Pods being back. I think a lot of our players suffered from some nagging injuries and Pods was one of them. 50 sb's minimum in '07 is a real possibility from Pods and I think he will improve on his batting average too. There is no way I want to see the kind onf money paid out to these FA's coming from our team. Matthews Jr is the prime example of a crazy system out of control. One good year and he gets $10M a year?! My goodness gracious great balls afire.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I have no problem with Pods being back. I think a lot of our players suffered from some nagging injuries and Pods was one of them. 50 sb's minimum in '07 is a real possibility from Pods and I think he will improve on his batting average too. There is no way I want to see the kind onf money paid out to these FA's coming from our team. Matthews Jr is the prime example of a crazy system out of control. One good year and he gets $10M a year?! My goodness gracious great balls afire.

I guess it depends on how hurt Pods was. Only the sox and he know how badly he was dinged up. If he was hurt and it kept him from going all out--which it seemed like both at bat and in the field--keeping Pods might not be bad. Esp. if the prognosis for Pods is that he'll be 100% for 2007, and very aggressive in the field, at bat and on the bases.

As long as Pods is not a bad club house guy or something is going on behind the scenes, I want him back. Yes he sucked in Left in 06 and his hitting and base stealing percentage was not up to par (maybe Ozzie could have put the stop sign up for a while). However, the Sox have won a World Series with him before and he sees a lot of pitches. He had just gotten married which according to the psycology 101 books and personal experience is a life changing stressful event even if everything goes well. He also had injuries. He will be afforable especially compared to Pierre/Matthews.

I've seen Roberts and Figgins mentioned often. Does anyone think Coco Crisp might still be an option via trade? I do not know much about that Boston team to know if they would part with him at a reasonable price. I remember reading discussion about him before and he seems to have dropped of the radar. Can Crisp play respectable D in Center? I really think that since Anderson has lost favor, he should be replaced before Pods. If Crisp can be acquired for Center, Pods or Sweeney could battle it out in left. I just don't want Sweeney and Anderson counted on to start in 2007. I like both of them, but I crave another World Series before more of the 2005 key players age or move on via free agency.

If Pods returns to form,

Pods

Crisp

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Iguchi

AJ

Crede

Uribe

If Pods is done or hurt,

Crisp

Iguchi

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Crede

AJ

Sweeney/Mackowiak/Gload/Anderson/Owens/Fields/Ozuna/Insert best left fielder here

Uribe

Fix center. Best man win in left. If Crisp, Patterson, or Figgins can lead off and fix center, the Sox have a lot more options. I'd even consider Patterson and his strikeouts. I think strikeouts for a leadoff hitter is more acceptable than other places in the line up because 20-25% (the 1st AB) the bases are always empty. I want the guy to at least see a lot of pitches and be able to handle the bat. If Patterson's pitches-per-plate appearance sucks, nevermind (having trouble finding that stat). Please tell me how the Sox should fix center before getting rid of Pods. If you say it's not broken with Anderson, I respectfully disagree and more importantly Ozzie has shown that he disagrees too. I expect Anderson to get better, I just don't have the patience to wait for that in 2007. I want to win now.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
I guess it depends on how hurt Pods was. Only the sox and he know how badly he was dinged up. If he was hurt and it kept him from going all out--which it seemed like both at bat and in the field--keeping Pods might not be bad. Esp. if the prognosis for Pods is that he'll be 100% for 2007, and very aggressive in the field, at bat and on the bases.

There's the real key...how badly hurt Podsednik was last year. He had basically no offseason and no spring training at all because he was recovering from surgery, so his body never got a chance to get into playing shape. There is at least a remote cahnce that he'll come back out at the start of next season healthy and will put up 70/80 in stolen bases and a .300 average again.

That said, I still think there are better options, maybe within our own system. I like the kids we do have, but Fields will k to much to lead off for anyone except the Cubs, and Sweeney needs another year in the minors just to grow up a little.

Personally, unless someone were interested in moving a leadoff hitter to get their hands on Dye, one of my favorite options would be to have an outfield of Milledge/Anderson/Dye next year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
People WANT this guy back? What the...

Do any of these people who want him back remember how detrimental he was to the offense in the second half? I don't think they do.

Jim Thome was a disaster to the Philadelphia Phillies offense in 2005. He hit .207 and put up a .712 OPS. You'd have to be out of your mind to trade 3 people for him, right?

There is a reasonable possibilty that the reason Podsednik was so very very bad last year was that he was hurt all year. We would not necessarily know this where we are sitting, but the man making the decisions might. If KW were convinced that all of Podsednik's struggles were due to injury and he would be healthy again in 2007, then that is not the worst gamble I can imagine (Especially if Fields spends the first month or two of the season playing LF in the minor leagues as a backup option).

But yea, I'd still prefer an outside solution.

I don't think Pods ever recovered from his injuries in 2005. after going 44-for-53 on stolen base attempts in the first half of 2005, he stole 15 and was caught stealing 14 times in the second half of the season. watching him this past season, when he'd attempt to steal, it seemed his first two steps took him nowhere, like he was running in place.

I want to see if he can come back healthy after a full offseason, and if he can't, try out Owens, Sweeney or Fields in LF, or even Ozuna, and see what we can do. if we must make a move, it better be Crawford or bust.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)

Do any of these people who want him back remember how detrimental he was to the offense in the second half? I don't think they do.

He was bad, no doubt about it, and I would love to upgrade, but I don't think KW is going to overpay for a free agent, and I also don't know that he'll do that in a trade for a Carl Crawford.

If you're going to also point out who else crapped themselves in the 2nd half, I'm not interested in getting rid of Bobby Jenks (5.72 ERA in the 2nd half), B.McCarthy (5.25 ERA), M.Buehrle (6.44 ERA), or Contreras (5.40 ERA) either.

Point is, Pods' wasn't good, but there were a number of players who flat out sucked at different parts of the season.

I'm not overly confident that Pods' will produce for us next season, but I also dont' want to overpay for a free agent (KW doesn't either, so far at least), and I'm not sure trading McCarthy, etc. is going to be a good move either - that's debatable.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)

Yep. I do. I also remember how detrimental it was for Ozzie to sub Mack in center everytime the kid would get on a roll. I remember how detrimental Macks D was in center. Ozzie wouldn't take JV out of the game even though all of us knew he was just about to blow it in the 6th inning. I remember how detrimental Freddie's 86 mph fastball was. MB causeing air traffic contollers to reroute traffic away from the stadium as the opposition hit bombs in the first inning. I remember how detrimental it was for KW to count on Boone Logan when he had not even learned how to cover first. Cotts, Polite, and. Hermanson were ineffective. I remember Uribe / Anderson automatic out duo. I remember Iguchi not being as productive or as good of a situational hitter as he was in 2005. I remember JC's injuries and Cora sending runners home with no chance. I remember blaming Wiger for the pitching staff's problems and Ozzie's general stubborness/cockyness not to make ajustments that needed to be made and making others that did not need to be made. I could go on and on. I refuse to blame Pods for 2006. If I have to blame one person, that would be Ozzie. No, I don't want to run him out of town either.

Fix centerfield with someone who can lead off. Let Pods earn his job. I want him back because I feel he is worth the risk.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I guess people forget that Pods can't hit, steal, throw, or catch. Besides that, he's a pretty toolsy player. I hate the injury excuse for Pods also. If anything, he seems like a player struggling to get his body back to the level it used to be.

I remember he was able to do those well enough to play left for a World Series Champion. He's worth the risk for the money. We would be able to trade him it the Sox come up with a better option.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I remember he was able to do those well enough to play left for a World Series Champion. He's worth the risk for the money. We would be able to trade him it the Sox come up with a better option.

Never recall him being any good with catching and throwing the ball ...

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I guess people forget that Pods can't hit, steal, throw, or catch. Besides that, he's a pretty toolsy player. I hate the injury excuse for Pods also. If anything, he seems like a player struggling to get his body back to the level it used to be.

I'm not a huge fan of Pods', but I'd rather have him back than signing a Dave Roberts type to an overpriced contract.

Are you going to apply the same criteria that you are using on Pods to other players who didn't amount to much this past season ?

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would sign Roberts for 3 years / $ 15 MIL. Even if he is a bench player for the second 2 years it would be ok. I don't think that you can get him for that anymore.

The other problem is that Kenny waited too long to extend Dye's contract and now he'll cost a fortune.

If you were Dye, why would you sign so soon? KW can't force him to sign.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jim Thome was a disaster to the Philadelphia Phillies offense in 2005. He hit .207 and put up a .712 OPS. You'd have to be out of your mind to trade 3 people for him, right?

There is a reasonable possibilty that the reason Podsednik was so very very bad last year was that he was hurt all year. We would not necessarily know this where we are sitting, but the man making the decisions might. If KW were convinced that all of Podsednik's struggles were due to injury and he would be healthy again in 2007, then that is not the worst gamble I can imagine (Especially if Fields spends the first month or two of the season playing LF in the minor leagues as a backup option).

But yea, I'd still prefer an outside solution.

The comparison to Thome is laughable at best.

Pods has nowhere near the track record like Thome based on talent, results, and reliability. Even with a bad elbow and back, Thome's OBP was higher than Pods in 2005.