Scotty Po

aboz56

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Seriously, All this affection going around for Podsednik and Figgis is making me want to :drink heavily. Chone is a lateral move, and not much of a move at all, esp if its going to cost anything in terms of talent, did everyone suddenly forget that Scioscia was batting him 9th near the end of the season???? :bang Add to the fact Chone is only 2 years younger than scott and i say no thank you.

The only person i would want coming back our way from the Angels to lead off it Reggie Willits, lead milb in OBP and is a excellent bunter and exceptional out in CF and all around badass lead off man, and hes a switch hitter, sign me up.

There's no affection for Pods or Figgins. It's a matter of being realistic--leadoff hitters are hard to find. There aren't a whole lot of better options.

And if Willits was everything you said, why did the Angels pay Matthews for the next 4 yrs to play CF? You don't throw rookies into the leadoff spot if you're a team that wants to get to the playoffs and a world series. Teams like the Pirates do that.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:44 AM)
Speed. Ozzie wants speed. Pods can hit 280 batting 9th with 40 stolen bases easily if healthy. Crisp, Crawford, Figgins or Patterson is what I mean by fixing center with someone who can lead off. If Pods can not perform well enough to lead off, move him to 9th.

I'm a Patterson suporter but he can't lead off, hes better as a role player near the bottom of the line up to help turn over the order.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 05:14 AM)
There's no affection for Pods or Figgins. It's a matter of being realistic--leadoff hitters are hard to find. There aren't a whole lot of better options.

And if Willits was everything you said, why did the Angels pay Matthews for the next 4 yrs to play CF? You don't throw rookies into the leadoff spot if you're a team that wants to get to the playoffs and a world series. Teams like the Pirates do that.

Agreed lead off hitters are hard to find, but there are better options in house and in FA (stewart,lofton,guillen)

Honestly i can't answer for Bill Stoneman and the Matthews signing, maybe Willits has charecter issues(all though i've never heard anything about it), but the angels also let Jenks & Turnbow get picked up for free, so what does that say about their evaluation of talent in their system?

You have to bring in young talent, and the quote about the pirates is crap. How did the marlins manage to say competive all season when they let ROY winner Hanley Ramierz lead off? infusing young cheap talent is what competive ball clubs do *cough* braves *cough*

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
You have to bring in young talent, and the quote about the pirates is crap. How did the marlins manage to say competive all season when they let ROY winner Hanley Ramierz lead off? infusing young cheap talent is what competive ball clubs do *cough* braves *cough*

I understand that teams have to bring in young position players into the lineup--but slowly. Few teams throw rooks into the leadoff spot. They put them in the lower 1/2 of the order where there is less pressure. Like the sox did with Anderson.

Hanley is a special case and talent--one of the top prospects in all of baseball, something I haven't heard with Willits. With the Marlins, the whole team was very young and they were rebuilding. Putting him there made perfect sense for them. It doesn't make sense for the sox to put Willits or a Jerry Owens type there.

I haven't been a big advocate of keeping Pods for 2007. But I do have to wonder how his injuries [to his hamstring in 05 and the groin surgery in the 05 offseason] affected his performance. With few upgrades/ options out there for the price [talent in trades mostly], expecting Pods to put up decent numbers might be the best option heading into 2007.

The Pods of the 1st half of 2005 was stellar---on the bases, at the plate, and even in the field where he was aggressive, cutting off balls hit to the gaps and everything hit near him was chased down. The numbers prove that as well--where he hit .294 with an OBP of .369, and had 44 SB's in 53 attempts. Then he got hurt and his post ASB was sub par--hit for a .284 avg, an OBP of .320 and 15 sb's in 29 attempts.

Pods 1st half of 2006 was decent--.276 avg and .353 OBP--though his 29 sb's in 41 attempts were poor.

We all know his brutal 2nd half of 06--.241 avg with an OBP of .296, and 11 sb's in 18 attempts. He was tentative in the field, tiptoeing around allowing runners to take extra bases, and getting poor jumps.

The sox have been about getting players in down years--guys who have had past success and expecting them to return to form. We all know Pods was hurt. The question is how much. For a guy who's entire game is predicated on using his legs, Pods was tentative for much of 2006. Can he get back to his 2005 and even his 2006 1st halves? In this market, that might be the best option. Then use the resources to upgrade the bullpen, pitching and position player depth in AAA and AA. Pods has the entire offseason to get healthy and build up his strength. With a big payday looming in Free agency next yr, Pods has every incentive to have a nice 2007. And for all the Dave Roberts-love, he was a much bigger injury risk than Pods. Pods has played even when he probably should have sit. Roberts has missed more games due to injury than Pods has the last few yrs.

FWIW, Pods had an avg of .330 and OBP of .404 vs. LHP in 05 in 100 ab's. He hit .216 with an OBP of .281 in 06 in 139 ab's.

Good thread guys. Lots of quality points made by people on both sides of this issue, but it's an issue that maybe shouldn't have 'sides' because this is not a black or white type thing. There is a lot of gray area here, with a lot of things that have to taken into consideration.

First, Pods left a lot, I mean A LOT, to be desired in the lead off spot last year. Yet, we do know what he is capable of from the first half of '05. It was stated earlier that it was obvious he's been injured and/or not totally rehabbed since the middle of '05. I agree with this. Pods in '06 was the same Pods we saw in the latter half of '05.

Now, lets take into consideration the recent FA signings for lead off hitters. Pierre and Matthews were both drastically overpaid for what they bring to the table. That tells you two things. Leadoff hitters are hard to find and a valuable asset.

Next, let's take a look at some of the names put forth as a possible replacement at the top of the line up. We've had suggestions ranging from AA non-prospects to grizzled old veterans. Of the names thrown out there, I see two that I would consider to have a chance to be a significant upgrade. Crawford and Furcal. Leaving Ichiro out because he's as untouchable as they come. Crawford and Furcal might be pried away from their prospective teams, but either would be a longshot and at what cost talent wise? Figgins? Maybe he's an upgrade, but how much of one? Roberts? He's the last man standing in the free agent leadoff sweepstakes. He's decent, but at his age the only question is 'When will he lose it?' Lofton? That didn't work out so well the last time around. With our current organizational roster, we have two guys that could possibly be decent at leadoff in Pods and Owens. Owens is unknown and Pods is very questionable. Pods does have chance to rebound to the player he was in early '05. He will have had the full offseason to rehab and should come to ST at 100% healthwise.

What this all comes down to is that I don't see reasonable alternative when you consider the cost factors and/or risk factors when you look at what is out there. It very well may be our best bet is to gamble on Scott, with Owens as a backup plan.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
First, Pods left a lot, I mean A LOT, to be desired in the lead off spot last year. Yet, we do know what he is capable of from the first half of '05. It was stated earlier that it was obvious he's been injured and/or not totally rehabbed since the middle of '05. I agree with this. Pods in '06 was the same Pods we saw in the latter half of '05.

I'd just like to add, Pods 1st half of 06 was decent. What could have happened is Pods wore down in the 2nd half after the offseason surgery, that he probably came into 06 in decent shape after the surgery. But it's hard to fully strengthen and prepare your body after recovering from being hurt.

i'm also of the opinion the Pods/ Owens plan is probably the best bet heading into 07. Owens stays in AAA playing Lf and leading off, insurance in case Pods can't cut it.

What I'd like to see is the sox get a SS prospect near major league ready who has the ability/ tools to hit leadoff. That way, the sox have another option at leadoff besides Owens and someone who could replace Uribe.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 06:45 AM)
I'd just like to add, Pods 1st half of 06 was decent. What could have happened is Pods wore down in the 2nd half after the offseason surgery, that he probably came into 06 in decent shape after the surgery. But it's hard to fully strengthen and prepare your body after recovering from being hurt.

i'm also of the opinion the Pods/ Owens plan is probably the best bet heading into 07. Owens stays in AAA playing Lf and leading off, insurance in case Pods can't cut it.

What I'd like to see is the sox get a SS prospect near major league ready who has the ability/ tools to hit leadoff. That way, the sox have another option at leadoff besides Owens and someone who could replace Uribe.

Pods was pathetic in April, had a great May and was mediocre to poor the rest of the season. I wouldn't call his first half decent. If he was so hurt, why did a team trying to defend its championship stick with him the entire year, when a guy like Mackowiak was riding pine or playing out of position? I don't buy the injury excuse. If he was so hurt how come he hit .318 with a .443 obp and an obs over .900 in May? Its a weak argument. The guy just isn't very good. He got a lot of credit for stealing bases in 2005. It would be nice to have a SS with the ability to leadoff, but there aren't many of those, and teams with them aren't going to give them up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Pods was pathetic in April, had a great May and was mediocre to poor the rest of the season. I wouldn't call his first half decent. If he was so hurt, why did a team trying to defend its championship stick with him the entire year, when a guy like Mackowiak was riding pine or playing out of position? I don't buy the injury excuse. If he was so hurt how come he hit .318 with a .443 obp and an obs over .900 in May? Its a weak argument. The guy just isn't very good. He got a lot of credit for stealing bases in 2005. It would be nice to have a SS with the ability to leadoff, but there aren't many of those, and teams with them aren't going to give them up.

Maybe because he was the sox best option leading off. Like I said, the first half he hit .276 with an OBP of .353. Those are decent numbers. I also said he was brutal in the 2nd half, and very tentative for the entire yr on defense in 06. What do you attribute his poor defense to after playing a solid first half of 2005? That sounds like someone playing hurt or trying hard to avoid a re-injury.

Instead of using up resources to get an upgrade for leadoff in LF/ Cf this year, i'd like the sox to try and upgrade at SS, someone who would start the yr in AAA. The cost will be less than it would be for someone expected to start the yr in the bigs.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 07:06 AM)
Maybe because he was the sox best option leading off. Like I said, the first half he hit .276 with an OBP of .353. Those are decent numbers. I also said he was brutal in the 2nd half, and very tentative for the entire yr on defense in 06. What do you attribute his poor defense to after playing a solid first half of 2005? That sounds like someone playing hurt or trying hard to avoid a re-injury.

Instead of using up resources to get an upgrade for leadoff in LF/ Cf this year, i'd like the sox to try and upgrade at SS, someone who would start the yr in AAA. The cost will be less than it would be for someone expected to start the yr in the bigs.

The White Sox current SS is a far better player than the White Sox current LF. Pods has never been a solid defensive player. Offensively, as bad as he was, except for batting average, he was a much better hitter in 2006 than he was in 2005. I should say batting average, and taking strike 3 right down the middle, which I cannot imagine anyway being connected to an injury. I guess I just don't buy that he was hurt, and if he was, how is it that it is a given he will be completely healthy this year? Its funny that a board that laughs at a team on the other side of town always assuming their injured players will suddenly be healthy, (and rightfully so), do exactly the same thing with the players on their team. If Pods was/is hurt, and I'm still not buying, what does everyone base their faith on his total health in 2007, a year where the Sox will have to pay him a lot more that the $2.4 million they were paying him for his pathetic performance in 2006?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
The White Sox current SS is a far better player than the White Sox current LF. Pods has never been a solid defensive player. Offensively, as bad as he was, except for batting average, he was a much better hitter in 2006 than he was in 2005. I should say batting average, and taking strike 3 right down the middle, which I cannot imagine anyway being connected to an injury. I guess I just don't buy that he was hurt, and if he was, how is it that it is a given he will be completely healthy this year? Its funny that a board that laughs at a team on the other side of town always assuming their injured players will suddenly be healthy, (and rightfully so), do exactly the same thing with the players on their team. If Pods was/is hurt, and I'm still not buying, what does everyone base their faith on his total health in 2007, a year where the Sox will have to pay him a lot more that the $2.4 million they were paying him for his pathetic performance in 2006?

Pods hasn't had anything near the same injury history that the cubs pitchers do/ did. And he's a better bet for staying healthy than Dave Roberts--who has missed more games to due injury, is older, and far more expensive than Pods.

The larger question remains--how do the sox get back to the playoffs? Is it through their offense? Or will it depend more on their bullpen and SP? Making an upgrade in LF / leadoff will almost certainly weaken the sox pitching, which will remain their best hope of getting 95 + wins in 2007.

The Sox should have backup plans for both SS and LF. Both Pods and Uribe played sub par baseball and if repeat their 2006 performances in early 2007 should be gone--provided there are options there. There aren't a lot of options at SS either. I know Ariz. has a glut of SS's. And one could start in AAA for the sox, Alberto Gonzalez--he's 23 from Venezuela, has a great glove and hit .290 in AA. The sox are thinner at SS then they are in LF, with Sweeney and Fields possibilities there.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:19 AM)
The Left Fielder in a home run hitters park shouldn't be dropping in bunt singles then getting picked off -- He should be lacing doubles, taking walks, and hitting the ball out of the park.

I'm not offering any quick fixes but Pods is def not the answer and it will be easy to upgrade that position because pods sucked so badly.

I'd be willing to bet Gload could play slightly worse or the same defense while posting a 280/350/445 line. And that is just in house.

Ozzie put him out there in September against Seattle and if you watched the game you would know that Ross' arm will not allow him to play outfield in the Major Leagues. Chuck Knoblauch threw better.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
In a couple years, maybe even this year...I'm going to find a nice, shiny picture or a specific trophy, and I'm going to bounce this thread and laugh a lot. I just hope its because that guy is still pitching for the White Sox.

I hope he is still pitching in a few years. I only wish injury on Barry Bonds and a few others. But Brandon McCarthy has "Out of baseball eventually with injuries from his mechanics" written all over him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
In a couple years, maybe even this year...I'm going to find a nice, shiny picture or a specific trophy, and I'm going to bounce this thread and laugh a lot. I just hope its because that guy is still pitching for the White Sox.

I hope he is still pitching in a few years. I only wish injury on Barry Bonds and a few others. But Brandon McCarthy has "Out of baseball eventually with injuries from his mechanics" written all over him.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
Ozzie put him out there in September against Seattle and if you watched the game you would know that Ross' arm will not allow him to play outfield in the Major Leagues. Chuck Knoblauch threw better.

I'm really not too concerned with the LF's arm, although Pods' arm is beyond pathetic. The White Sox had a powerhouse of a team with Raines in LF and the One Dog in CF. Pods throws no worse than either of them. Its the tip toeing to balls that pisses me off. He gets bad jumps and is so tentative, its sickening. Also people seem stuck on finding a "leadoff guy". Pods isn't exactly a great leadoff guy. He doesn't get on a lot, when he does he's prone to getting thrown out or picked off and he whiffs at a pretty high rate for a guy who homers about as often as Ozzie Guillen did. I don't think its necessary to have a guy leading off who may steal 40 bases. I just want someone who can get on base, and maybe even get a bunt down once in a while. Those aren't strong points in Pods' game at this point.

There is literally no debate - I want any other player - major or minor league - who is capable of playing left field next year and taking pitches. Podsednik is worse than any other major leaguers and a good deal of minor leaguers playing his position, taking pitches, and being a baseball player in general.

Why do people thinki that anyone except for Roberts, Figgins, Crawford and a couple of others would be unacceptable. s***, give me ANYONE. ANYONE but Podsednik. I'd take a one-legged Frank Thomas in the one-hole and take my chances in the field.

Who is with me? ANYONE BUT PODSEDNIK.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
There is literally no debate - I want any other player - major or minor league - who is capable of playing left field next year and taking pitches. Podsednik is worse than any other major leaguers and a good deal of minor leaguers playing his position, taking pitches, and being a baseball player in general.

Why do people thinki that anyone except for Roberts, Figgins, Crawford and a couple of others would be unacceptable. s***, give me ANYONE. ANYONE but Podsednik. I'd take a one-legged Frank Thomas in the one-hole and take my chances in the field.

Who is with me? ANYONE BUT PODSEDNIK.

I'm certainly not jumping on that bandwagon.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm certainly not jumping on that bandwagon.

second.

I'm one of the people who says what Pods brings is beyond the numbers. he's disruptive, and when he's healthy and at his best, he's terrific stealing bases. anyone who's watched the White Sox World Series DVDs has to remember the line that says "You know he's going to steal. You just don't know when," or something to that effect. besides, who else is out there? an aging Dave Roberts? an overrated Chone Figgins? thank God the Dodgers overpaid Pierre, so that debate's over.

and I call Figgins overrated because people cite his ability to play so many positions, but he's not a stand-out at any of them. that's why he plays so many positions, because he can play them all somewhere in the area of "adequate." he's also a worse OBP guy than Pods.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
The problem is not in finding a superior left fielder. It's in finding a superior leadoff hitter.

No, it's the other way around. Leadoff hitter isn't a position. We have one on the roster right now. He's our 2nd-baseman. Whether or not our manager is too thick headed to put him there is another thing.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
I'm one of the people who says what Pods brings is beyond the numbers. he's disruptive, and when he's healthy and at his best, he's terrific stealing bases. anyone who's watched the White Sox World Series DVDs has to remember the line that says "You know he's going to steal. You just don't know when," or something to that effect. besides, who else is out there? an aging Dave Roberts? an overrated Chone Figgins? thank God the Dodgers overpaid Pierre, so that debate's over.

LOLerz. Yeah, Pods was sooooo great in 2005, leading our offense to what, 9th in the AL in runs scored? I can't think of any other position play on the 2006 White Sox who was as useless as Pods was last season. Outside of one month, the guy couldn't hit. His defense wasn't great, and he got picked off and thrown out way too much.

And as DA said, what's to say he won't be hurt next year? He got hurt in '05, and came into '06 recovering from surgery. Yeah, speed never slumps... it just gets hurt and costs your team runs through stubborn-ness.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Yeah, Pods was sooooo great in 2005, leading our offense to what, 9th in the AL in runs scored?

That is the worst possible way to look at our offense in 2005. It was incredibly consistent in putting enough runs on the board to win, something that is overlooked by just saying "it sucked because it was 9th in the AL".

I think it's become rather obvious that Williams isn't going to make any significant moves in free agency.

Can we all agree on that ?

I wouldn't normally call signing Dave Roberts a significant move, but he's going to be a starting lead-off hitter, most likely for the Giants, and he'll probably get an overvalued deal for his services.

I think at best, Kenny will add a backup catcher, maybe just resigning Alomar at some point, and that could be as much as they do in free agency. Their remaining bullpen spots will be filled either inhouse candidates or through a trade of a starting pitcher.

I think it's a safe bet to assume one of the starters will eventually be traded, most likely for prospects on the verge of being ready for the majors.

As far as the OF is concerned, Dye's in RF obviously, I think Anderson/Pods (should be be back) will end up just being part of some rotationg system with Sweeney, and possibly Fields, and they're let the play of these guys sort itself out.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
You need to get a new source for stats, because your wrong.

And basing your opinion of a player based on a World Series DVD isn't going to get your very far.

yeah, that was off-hand. I don't look every little thing up. I looked it up, and the difference is so miniscule, it's actually not worth mentioning. however, for the less than 10 point differential in OBP, Pods takes more pitches per plate appearance. look that one up. so why give anything up for Figgins, when him and Pods are essentially the same player?

and I was using the World Series DVD as just an argument, because so many of you don't remember him on the bases in 2005, you remember him stinking it up in 2006. if I didn't mention the World Series DVD, you of the short-term memories would think I was lying.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
That is the worst possible way to look at our offense in 2005. It was incredibly consistent in putting enough runs on the board to win, something that is overlooked by just saying "it sucked because it was 9th in the AL".

This is just plain false.

We scored

Consistently awful.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)

We scored

Consistently awful.

duh. we also had a 3-4-5 of Thome-Konerko-Dye in 2006, plugging Thome into Everett's spot. and Crede hit 30 homeruns and knocked in 94. our leadoff hitter even scored six more runs than he did in 2005, despite posting an OBP 21 points lower than the season before. there were 3 games that we only scored one run and won 1-0 - the season opener, the first game after the break and the final game (regular season and postseason). frankly, the 2006 team was completely different from the 2005 team.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)

We scored

Consistently awful.

How is that false? I didn't say the offense in 2005 was more consistent than in 2006, nor did I say it was better than the offense in 2006. Hell, I didn't even mention the 2006 team. I simply said that 2005 was a consistent offense, and saying that it was 9th best in the AL simply because of overall runs scored is bogus.

I don't really know about when compared to 2006, but I do know that the offense in '05 was much more consistent than the offense in 2004, an offense which scored over a 100 more runs than their 2005 counterpart (http://chisoxdaily.blogspot.com/2006/02/ru...-i-new-sox.html)

Edited by Felix