Carlos Lee

ptatc

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
Why would the owners get together to talk about it? Get together to talk about the GM's that pay these players, the GM's that the OWNERS hired...

I think you're half right there. The GMs do all the grunt work to get to a contract, but the owners still pay them. And I'd imagine they usually have the final say on any deal. Remembering past quotes, that appears to be the case with the Sox, and I'm sure that's got to be the norm.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
You're right. It just makes me laugh when people complain about the contracts, like these agents are holding up certain organizations at gunpoint. These teams don't seem to have a problem paying these guys.

Thats because 1 owner decides to overpay for a f/a on the market and than if he gives some player 12 million a year and there is a better player who is also a f/a of course he isnt going to accept anything that isnt a couple million higher than that.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
Thats because 1 owner decides to overpay for a f/a on the market and than if he gives some player 12 million a year and there is a better player who is also a f/a of course he isnt going to accept anything that isnt a couple million higher than that.

That doesn't mean that another owner/GM has to offer that money to the player as well. If 1 team is desperate for a player and spends $17 million, that doesn't have to mean that every team has to offer every player $17 million a year...that just means that other teams have to be willing to control themselves.

At least the White Sox aren't involved in this mess. We won a world series by missing out on the last spending binge.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
These contracts are starting to become amazingly ridiculous.... I wonder how long until the owners get together and do something about it.

Its called "collusion" and its illegal. Its also something that got MLB sued and convicted back in the 80's. They would be stupid to do it again.