Bunting

Jim Fainter

Hawk said something semi-profound. Twice he said that the Sox are a poor bunting team, or words to that effect. Later, after Konerko failed, Hawk took a shot at Manual when he said "Part of managing is knowing what your players CAN do, and part is knowing what they CAN"T do."

I think Hawk is disgusted with the team. I don't get the telecasts as often as most of you -- just my opinion.

Bunting.  As far as the Sox are concerned, that's the red, white and blue stuff they hang around Yankee Stadium for the World Series.

You'll not see any bunting in US Cell.

You will at the All-Star game.

On the radio, Farmio said this is the worst bunting team that he's ever seen - and that was before PK's "attempt."

Hawk said something semi-profound.  Twice he said that the Sox are a poor bunting team, or words to that effect.  Later, after Konerko failed, Hawk took a shot at Manual when he said "Part of managing is knowing what your players CAN do, and part is knowing what they CAN"T do."

I think Hawk is disgusted with the team.  I don't get the telecasts as often as most of you -- just my opinion.

I watch a lot of the games on Directv and this is one of the only times I have seen the Hawk and DJ say something negative about the team.

I think they agree with us, bunting is not that hard(well it is harder than it looks). Harris and DJ especially should be able to lay down a bunt to move the runners over but they can't even do it. I think the problem has to be that we don't focus on it enough in spring training and our manager doesn't think it is a big part of the game.

Bunting.  As far as the Sox are concerned, that's the red, white and blue stuff they hang around Yankee Stadium for the World Series.

That was funny... Brought a little chuckle to my morning. :)

He said "were an inept bunting team". And we sure are. Harris bunted too hard, DJ popped it up and Paulie couldnt even get it down. Anyone think we should hire a bunting coach? I say we should get Ozzie Guillen in that position...

I would love to hire him. If you notice that that he is a coach on the team that has the most stolen bases in the league and plays some very good defense.

I have been thinking that we should consider him for our next managering job along with Backman. But even if we don't hire him as a base coach/defensive infield coach.

I can't believe Manuel had Konerko bunt in that situation. I can see why he batted for Daubach, because if memory serves, A) A lefty was on the mound, and B) Konerko's average against lefties(though surely with much fewer at-bats) is actually pretty high, over.300 I think? But putting a struggling hitter whose head is obviously messed up in a high-pressure situation, and ask him to do something he hasn't done since the minor leagues shows, IMHO, that Manuel has no "feel" for the game, nor does he know how to put his players in the best position to succeed. Manuel MUST be fired, I have no doubts anymore.

I would love to hire him.  If you notice that that he is a coach on the team that has the most stolen bases in the league and plays some very good defense. 

I have been thinking that we should consider him for our next managering job along with Backman.  But even if we don't hire him as a base coach/defensive infield coach.

It would be GREAT to have Guillen as a buntng coach! But guys, Its plain and simple!

WE CANT BUNT!

I watched that fiasco on WGN yesterday and will be watching ESPN for today's SOX-sCrUBS game. Hawk and DJ were both very disappointed and said exactly the truth. Harris couldn't bunt and Jimenez couldn't bunt. They should have been able to becasue they have shown it before, but Konerko should have never been asked to bunt. Konerko should have never been up in that position in the first place.

I wonder where and when did bunting become such a lost art, as Hawk put it on TV? The minor leagures should be the place young players are lerarning the art of bunting, as well as the other fundamentals of the game such as running, fielding, understanding the nuances, etc, etc. But, I think in todays game everyone is waiting for the 5-run homer. The guy that can hit the long ball is the one who gets paid the big bucks. Hitting coaches teach the swing, how to take a pitch the other way and all that stuff, but when is the last time anyone ever congratulated a hitting coach because his charges could BUNT, or execute the hit & run properly? Baseball in its desire to appeal to an audience has made the home run the most important thing in the game. Winning by executing the fundamentals is not important anymore. That's too bad becasue if the Chisox were playing sound fundamental baseball we would be in first place and not floundering like we are now.

konerko's bunting form was just terrible. one hand on the knob, the other about a foot away, and it was practically pointing backwards.

when he put pk in for daubach i let out a cry of agony.

And the way he jabbed at the ball - ugly!

Guest hotsoxchick1

fire the hitting coach.... hes been here what :huh: a few weeks now....and none of these guys can lay down a bunt.................you guys tend to foreget here that they went from ward who is a long ball type of guy to walker now who is .. i have no clue what type of guy cause i havent seen any improvements since he got here...........oh hell just never mind my rants today.... where is my coffee... ill just sit back and continue to read........sorry......... :D

That was funny... Brought a little chuckle to my morning. :)

Glad to see that someone picked up on the dual meaning of that final sentence. :cheers

fire the hitting coach.... hes been here what :huh:  a few weeks now....and none of these guys can lay down a bunt.................you guys tend to foreget here that they went from ward who is a long ball type of guy to walker now who is .. i have no clue what type of guy cause i havent seen any improvements since he got here...........oh hell just never mind my rants today.... where is my coffee... ill just sit back and continue to read........sorry......... :D

Actually, I was thinking that there had been at least a blip of an improvement since Walker got here. Nothing outstanding, but it appears to be heading in the right direction.

Of course, I'm talking hitting here. Not bunting.

I watched that fiasco on WGN yesterday and will be watching ESPN for today's SOX-sCrUBS game. Hawk and DJ were both very disappointed and said exactly the truth. Harris couldn't bunt and Jimenez couldn't bunt. They should have been able to becasue they have shown it before, but Konerko should have never been asked to bunt. Konerko should have never been up in that position in the first place.

I wonder where and when did bunting become such a lost art, as Hawk put it on TV? The minor leagures should be the place young players are lerarning the art of bunting, as well as the other fundamentals of the game such as running, fielding, understanding the nuances, etc, etc. But, I think in todays game everyone is waiting for the 5-run homer. The guy that can hit the long ball is the one who gets paid the big bucks. Hitting coaches teach the swing, how to take a pitch the other way and all that stuff, but when is the last time anyone ever congratulated a hitting coach because his charges could BUNT, or execute the hit & run properly? Baseball in its desire to appeal to an audience has made the home run the most important thing in the game. Winning by executing the fundamentals is not important anymore. That's too bad becasue if the Chisox were playing sound fundamental baseball we would be in first place and not floundering like we are now.

Bunting is learned in Little League, Legion Ball, High School etc...., it should be perfected in the minors.

When I was in High School our coach sawed the barrel of a bat in half. That is what we used to practice bunting to make sure we stayed on top of the ball. You are supposed to "catch" the ball with the bat when bunting, not stab at it.

It is inexcusable to not be able to bunt in the majors.