Wrong offseason to sit on our hands

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
We needs a upgrade at CF, LF and SS....oh brother

Again, though, do you really want to overpay (most likely significantly) for a free agent player ?

The off-season is early - I think Kenny is going to make at least one trade involving a starting pitcher, but I wouldn't be surprised if he brings in another veteran OF for some competition...then again, it seems like Ryan Sweeney is their guy.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Plenty of people will tell you we don't need to upgrade Anderson, and I don't believe we have to upgrade Uribe, either. Sorry.

I'm not saying we should give up on Anderson - I think we're fine with him playing good defense in CF, but does need to pick up the hitting.

If he has another year similar to this past one, we will be looking for a replacement after next season - even now, I wouoldn't be shocked if they have Sweeney in CF to start the season.

This is knee-jerk reaction to the Cubs signing of Soriano and others for absurd contracts.

We are 1 season removed from a World Series victory -- we ended up with 90 -- yes, NINETY -- wins on what we ALL know was a down season of bad pitching...and it's only November and people are calling this "sitting on our hands".

*sigh*

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
Plenty of people will tell you we don't need to upgrade Anderson, and I don't believe we have to upgrade Uribe, either. Sorry.

Yup. Gimmie a new LFer, perhaps another good bullpen arm, and get that great haul for Garcia (or whichever starter is traded).

And then let's head to Arizona.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
Yup. Gimmie a new LFer, perhaps another good bullpen arm, and get that great haul for Garcia (or whichever starter is traded).

And then let's head to Arizona.

I'd like to see another quality reliever, but not at $6-7 million per. there's another thread regarding a new LFer, so let's not delve into that. and obviously a starter will be traded, and there's plenty of time, which is why I wish we could hold this thread.

I'll say this -- there may be plenty of time between now and Spring Training, but once Zito and Schmidt sign, everything may fall into place quickly. If we're entering February with our same starting rotation entact something is terribly wrong.

The onslaught of positional players singing will likely mimmick that of pitchers once exact market price is established. At which point, Williams absolutely can't wait around. Wait too long and we're going to be appear desperate.

I've already set an arbitrary date of Christmas for trading our starters. Even if Zito/Schmidt have yet to sign, we can't reasonably wait very long.

For example -- if Texas and New York Mets were to sign Meche and Zito respectively, we'd essentially be without a viable trading partner.

Far as updating SS/LF/CF, those positions can be addressed at any point from now Spring Training. Trading a starter is more important, as relatively few contingency plans exist. You can't tell yourself, "well, even if worst comes to worst we have all five starters returning and McCarthy in the bullpen." No..no...no. I could tolerate Uribe/Podsednik/Anderson if absolutely no upgrades were sought.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
I think KW is waiting until the dust settles and he's sitting with quality SPs to deal and desperate teams

I know we've discussed this before in another thread, but I don't believe this. What if the dust doesn't finally settle until February? Are we realistically going to hold off until then; a month away from spring training? It's best to have options available when the largest pool of teams remain.

Last season was the opportunity, after Vazquez was acquired, to offer starters to the highest bidder. It was essentially the perfect situation. If he didn't appreciate the return value of his starters, then they were merely inserted into the rotation. We currently don't have that luxury.

I believe we can't rely on a desperate team overpaying. What it if never occurs? I know I continually hope for it, but if we're a month away from now --and all five starters remain-- I have to wonder whether we've lost all leverage. Whether or not Texas and New York have found their SP's, and what we're left with is Cincinnati. Or another ballclub offering little options which appeal to us.

We're not in a good position because it's evident through McCarthy's bullpen struggles, and several impending free agents after 2007, a starter will depart. That gives another ballclub reason to believe they can persue FA pitchers, and if that avenue doesn't work, merely wait for the price of our starters to drop.

Way I figure, if the proposals were generous for any of our starters we'd already have traded them. Look what happened with New York and Sheffield. Cashman didn't hesitate one second.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The price will go up for the starters once the quality free agents sign, if that doesnt happen until half way through spring training that is fine with me as long as we can get a quality return. Right now you have 10-12 teams pursuing one started or another in free agency, therefore they have no incentive to make a deal because there is a chance they can still get their guy. Once that guy signs with someone else, the 9-11 teams that were not able to sign the player will have to fall back to plan B and looking for a player in a trade. There is plenty of time left to make a move and the more money that these free agents sign for, the better our players value will be in a trade. Patience.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
I know we've discussed this before in another thread, but I don't believe this. What if the dust doesn't finally settle until February? Are we realistically going to hold off until then; a month away from spring training? It's best to have options available when the largest pool of teams remain.

Last season was the opportunity, after Vazquez was acquired, to offer starters to the highest bidder. It was essentially the perfect situation. If he didn't appreciate the return value of his starters, then they were merely inserted into the rotation. We currently don't have that luxury.

I believe we can't rely on a desperate team overpaying. What it if never occurs? I know I continually hope for it, but if we're a month away from now --and all five starters remain-- I have to wonder whether we've lost all leverage. Whether or not Texas and New York have found their SP's, and what we're left with is Cincinnati. Or another ballclub offering little options which appeal to us.

We're not in a good position because it's evident through McCarthy's bullpen struggles, and several impending free agents after 2007, a starter will depart. That gives another ballclub reason to believe they can persue FA pitchers, and if that avenue doesn't work, merely wait for the price of our starters to drop.

Way I figure, if the proposals were generous for any of our starters we'd already have traded them. Look what happened with New York and Sheffield. Cashman didn't hesitate one second.

Oh Flash, you cannot compare our starting pitching to Gary Sheffield. Sheffield is old, angry and in the last couple of years of his career. Except for Contreras, all of our starters are in the prime and could pitch lights out again.

And every year, someone gets hurt or someone doesn't pan out in Spring Training and a team goes searching for more pitching. Happens every year. I agree that we need to dump one of our starters, but Kenny will never make it seem like we are desperate. Hey, if we have to go into the season with the same 5 and trade someone at the July 31st trading deadline, just so we can get market value, that's fine with me too.

Relax...enjoy the holidays. We'll get what we need and we'll have the same 50-50 arguments that we always do here on Soxtalk!