Dave Roberts off the market

joeynach

Roberts is set to sign a 3 year 15-18M deal with the Giants according to MLB4u.com.

I dont want anything to do with him at that price and once again we are seeing the market produce overpaid over hyped average players get big and long paydays, yuck. So our search continues can Rocco Baldelli hit leadoff?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Every time one of these signings comes through, I keep having the same reaction; I'm glad we're not the one taking that gamble.

At the same time, it sickens me that we are going to have to make a big trade to really improve this team.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Roberts is set to sign a 3 year 15-18M deal with the Giants according to MLB4u.com.

So our search continues can Rocco Baldelli hit leadoff?

He could, but he can't draw a walk to save his life. He's better suited somewhere lower in the order. It's an intriguing name to throw out though.

Thats the last of the so called 'lead off hitters' on the free agent market. So if the Sox want to upgrade the leadoff spot it will have to be done via trade. No surprises there. At this point its Carl Crawford or bust! Winter meetings are around the corner. It shall be interesting to see what KW plans on doing....

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
Thats the last of the so called 'lead off hitters' on the free agent market. So if the Sox want to upgrade the leadoff spot it will have to be done via trade. No surprises there. At this point its Carl Crawford or bust! Winter meetings are around the corner. It shall be interesting to see what KW plans on doing....

Crawford should be the number one target regardless of anything.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Crawford should be the number one target regardless of anything.

Why do people think the Rays will deal Crawford? He's a great player, at a cheap price. What do we have that the Rays want? McCarthy? I don't like that idea.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
It doesnt look like there is much of a market for that unfortunately. Something needs to be done, somehow though. We need a lead off hitter, some bullpen help and possibly younger SP's.

I think KW will find a good trade. You have identified the areas the Sox need but I would list them in priority as: bullpen, young SPs then lead off hitter. The bullpen needs to shut teams down after good starter performances. There is nothing more frustrating than watching a good pitching performance for 7 innings and having the lead pissed away in the final two innings. We have a good hard throwing group so far but it needs a little more help.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Why do people think the Rays will deal Crawford? He's a great player, at a cheap price. What do we have that the Rays want? McCarthy? I don't like that idea.

You have to trade McCarthy to get a guy like Crawford. Tampa knows that if they want to contend in the East in the next couple of years they need to build a solid young pitching staff. They realize that they cant win without pitching and their GM has said during the end of the 2006 season that he would be willing to trade Crawford if he can get an MLB ready young starter. Tampa wants to build a young rotation like Oakland had a fews years back when they had the Zito-Mulder-Hudson trio.

I truly believe that we can win it all next year with Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia and Vazquez as our starting 5. I understand if you are all worried about what will happen after 2007 since both Garcia and Buerhle will be free agents. However, I think if we win it all (and having Crawford would help in doing so) Buerhle will re-sign. And the only one to leave via free agency would be Garcia. So for you post 2007 worry warts your rotation can be this: Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez, Broadway

For now im worrying about 2007. And if KW can aqcuire Crawford, it will give us one hell of a lead-off hitter, he can steal 60 plus, play one hell of a defense and patch up our black hole out in LF.

But what about our bullpen?!? I think KW will trade Pods and Fields at the Winter Meetings to help bolster our bullpen.

Your 2007 Chicago White Sox:

Crawford LF

Gooch 2B

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Uribe SS

Anderson CF

Rotation: Same as 2006

Bullpen: To be shored up at the Winter meetings

Your 2008 Chicago White Sox:

Crawford LF

Gooch 2B (will be re-signed)

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Anderson CF

Sweeney RF (replace Dye who will leave via free agency)

Uribe SS (will be re-signed)

Your 2008 rotation:

Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez, Broadway (replace Garcia who will leave via free agency)

Not bad at all. Thoughts?? Im sure i missed out on some ending contracts or what not, but it can be pretty similar to this. A 2008 OF of Crawford, Anderson and Sweeney can be dominate defensivley for many years.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
You have to trade McCarthy to get a guy like Crawford. Tampa knows that if they want to contend in the East in the next couple of years they need to build a solid young pitching staff. They realize that they cant win without pitching and their GM has said during the end of the 2006 season that he would be willing to trade Crawford if he can get an MLB ready young starter. Tampa wants to build a young rotation like Oakland had a fews years back when they had the Zito-Mulder-Hudson trio.

I truly believe that we can win it all next year with Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia and Vazquez as our starting 5. I understand if you are all worried about what will happen after 2007 since both Garcia and Buerhle will be free agents. However, I think if we win it all (and having Crawford would help in doing so) Buerhle will re-sign. And the only one to leave via free agency would be Garcia. So for you post 2007 worry warts your rotation can be this: Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez, Broadway

For now im worrying about 2007. And if KW can aqcuire Crawford, it will give us one hell of a lead-off hitter, he can steal 60 plus, play one hell of a defense and patch up our black hole out in LF.

But what about our bullpen?!? I think KW will trade Pods and Fields at the Winter Meetings to help bolster our bullpen.

Your 2007 Chicago White Sox:

Crawford LF

Gooch 2B

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Uribe SS

Anderson CF

Rotation: Same as 2006

Bullpen: To be shored up at the Winter meetings

Your 2008 Chicago White Sox:

Crawford LF

Gooch 2B (will be re-signed)

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Anderson CF

Sweeney RF (replace Dye who will leave via free agency)

Uribe SS (will be re-signed)

Your 2008 rotation:

Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez, Broadway (replace Garcia who will leave via free agency)

Not bad at all. Thoughts?? Im sure i missed out on some ending contracts or what not, but it can be pretty similar to this. A 2008 OF of Crawford, Anderson and Sweeney can be dominate defensivley for many years.

Crawford's a great player and all, but he isn't a leadoff hitter. No. 2 yes, but I think you waste his talents as a leadoff hitter. Baldelli is the better bet, but that's just my opinion.