Dead Russian spy saga still expanding

southsider2k5

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
I could probably show some initiative and google that for you, but it's a lazy Sunday morning. I just remember reading something about this. I wouldn't think that they'd pack much of a wallop, just due to the size of the weapon, but a nuke is still a nuke.

EDIT: It only took a second, so... http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190..._072204,00.html

To understand the way Russian government works... don't put it outside the realm of possibility that some segment of the government (KGB/GRU, rogue military division, former Soviet Bloc country) stole those things from, and for, themselves.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 05:26 AM)
It's been a while since I've read anything on the Russian nuclear situation, but it was a very disturbing problem. No money to maintain the buildings, no money to pay security, no money to investigate the people with access. And government scientists, with ties to some unsavory characters from "negotiations", who had been living in the lap of luxury, suddenly without paychecks. I remember coming away from that book, and the title escapes me now, with the nagging feeling we were less safe with the breakup of the Soviet Union than before. The book was written, largely, with information from one of their scientist who had defected, so who knows how accurate a picture he drew.

For years, some of the more intelligent people in the Senate/House have been pushing programs where the U.S. basically pays those scientists to remain unemployed. If I recall correctly though, through some combination of lack of diplomacy by the U.S. and lack of desire to keep funding a program like this (i.e. the Bush Administration has under-funded the famed Nunn-Lugar program by something like $50 million), the effectiveness has wained over the past few years.