My Knee, Updated

Gregory Pratt

As some of you might remember, I'd ripped my knee apart in a post-practice accident (Soccer) and ripped everything up. Now that I'm almost at 100%, and have full diagnosis', I thought I'd share what was wrong and what's up.

I cracked my femur bone, as well as the kneecap. Not fully, but slightly. (They're waiting to see if my cartilage falls off near the crack and then I'll require surgery.)

I tore my menial meniscus.

And I sprained every ligament in my knee. Not tore, but sprained them all combined.

Not too bad, and the only one giving me substantial trouble is the cracked bone. It goes, Crrrrrrrrk all the time and if I move too fast, it aches like a bad ache.

Fun with words.

I'm almost fine, though, and I can run as hard as I used to and do all the things I enjoy. I find myself baseball sliding around on tile and merely enjoying my regained abilities.

so thanks to everyone who'd been concerned and shared kind words.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
As some of you might remember, I'd ripped my knee apart in a post-practice accident (Soccer) and ripped everything up. Now that I'm almost at 100%, and have full diagnosis', I thought I'd share what was wrong and what's up.

I cracked my femur bone, as well as the kneecap. Not fully, but slightly. (They're waiting to see if my cartilage falls off near the crack and then I'll require surgery.)

And I sprained every ligament in my knee. Not tore, but sprained them all combined.

Not too bad, and the only one giving me substantial trouble is the cracked bone. It goes, Crrrrrrrrk all the time and if I move too fast, it aches like a bad ache.

Fun with words.

I'm almost fine, though, and I can run as hard as I used to and do all the things I enjoy. I find myself baseball sliding around on tile and merely enjoying my regained abilities.

That's good to hear. Hope you get to 100% soon.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)

Fun with words.

Good to hear. :cheers

Great to hear your recovering well GP. Hopefully you'll be back to 100% soon. My knee has healed too and I'm back to voluntary workouts for baseball. I hope you play this year if you can. I'd love to strike you out in a real-game situation. Pansy. :lol:

Thank you Whitewashed and hammerhead. :)

Great to hear your recovering well GP. Hopefully you'll be back to 100% soon. My knee has healed too and I'm back to voluntary workouts for baseball. I hope you play this year if you can. I'd love to strike you out in a real-game situation. Pansy.

I'm working out for baseball, too. Jobe exercises, mainly, though I'm going to start a modest weightlifting program to strengthen my lower body and somewhat my core.

You might get the chance to face me. I'm going to be one of our starters, though, so you might not get to pitch against me (and I might get a DH). If you do, or if I face you -- I'm going to put a baseball between your shoulder blades and point to the sky. And you're going to like it.

But if you face me and hit me, the second time we face, I'll take you deep. Centerfield deep.

Pansy.

By the way, Slav, I'd like to see you sometime relatively soon and work with you on some pitching stuff.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)

I'm working out for baseball, too. Jobe exercises, mainly, though I'm going to start a modest weightlifting program to strengthen my lower body and somewhat my core.

You might get the chance to face me. I'm going to be one of our starters, though, so you might not get to pitch against me (and I might get a DH). If you do, or if I face you -- I'm going to put a baseball between your shoulder blades and point to the sky. And you're going to like it.

But if you face me and hit me, the second time we face, I'll take you deep. Centerfield deep.

Pansy.

By the way, Slav, I'd like to see you sometime relatively soon and work with you on some pitching stuff.

Jeez, your rotation must suck if you're one of the starters.

Sounds like a plan. We can set something up.

As far as the other stuff, well, if I pitch and you hit, you're going down swinging on the curve. And if I'm hitting and you're pitching, I'm tripling into the right-center gap. Book it.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Throw a few more groundballs. They're democratic.

I'll strike you out with my late breaking two-seamer, foob.

I like that. "Late breaking"

That means it doesn't travel fast enough to reach home plate. :D

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
:lol: And I didn't think it was possible, but when my elbow isn't crappy, my curve is even more amazing. :notworthy

I remember that. I also remember you commenting about the filthy late break on my two-seamer.

I also remember me making you look foolish. Not that your CLOWNFACE didn't help with that. ;)

Really, though -- your arm holding up well? You excited 'bout the next season? you aren't going to QUIT like you did in SOCCAR right?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I remember that. I also remember you commenting about the filthy late break on my two-seamer.

I also remember me making you look foolish. Not that your CLOWNFACE didn't help with that. ;)

Really, though -- your arm holding up well? You excited 'bout the next season? you aren't going to QUIT like you did in SOCCAR right?

1st off, I didn't play soccer because of work.

But my arm has healed well over the off-season. I've been getting some hitting and pitching drills in lately and I've been doing some serious conditioning. I've been light on the weight-lifting/strength training though. For now, I'm trying to stick to regaining full range of motion in my legs and arms.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
1st off, I didn't play soccer because of work.

But my arm has healed well over the off-season. I've been getting some hitting and pitching drills in lately and I've been doing some serious conditioning. I've been light on the weight-lifting/strength training though. For now, I'm trying to stick to regaining full range of motion in my legs and arms.

I know. :P

Glad things are going well for you.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)

Fun with words.

When did you injure the knee? The creak you are referring to usually comes from the patella. What type of program are using to rehab the patella-femoral joint? I have a great group of exercises I use for my patients if you need them.

Good Luck with the rehab :cheers

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
When did you injure the knee? The creak you are referring to usually comes from the patella. What ype of program are using to rehab the patella-femoral joint? I have a great group of exercises I use for my patients if you need them.

Good Luck with the rehab :cheers

Injured the knee in September. I've been doing a ton of lateral exercises and using rubber to stretch. I don't know what the program is called but I go downtown for it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)

Pansy.

the Jobe exercises are good but the Thrower's 10 program developed by Wilk and Andrews is more effective at strengthening the shoulder and elbow.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
Injured the knee in September. I've been doing a ton of lateral exercises and using rubber to stretch. I don't know what the program is called but I go downtown for it.

Add the box step ups and downs. Tothe front as wellas to the side. This will really strengthening the VMO which controls the activtiy of the patella.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
the Jobe exercises are good but the Thrower's 10 program developed by Wilk and Andrews is more effective at strengthening the shoulder and elbow.

I take it you're a physical therapist and a personal trainer? Or, one, neither?

Add the box step ups and downs. Tothe front as wellas to the side. This will really strengthening the VMO which controls the activtiy of the patella.

Mmhmm, actually, I'm doing that, too! That's cool, but it IS hard to do because the knee gives out on me sometimes while I do it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
I take it you're a physical therapist and a personal trainer? Or, one, neither?

Mmhmm, actually, I'm doing that, too! That's cool, but it IS hard to do because the knee gives out on me sometimes while I do it.

I'm a physical therapy and athletic trainer. I've worked in just about every sport imaginable but baseball particularly pitching is still my favorite.

Ask your physician if the hyaline cartilage (not the meniscal cartilage) is healthy enough to do light plyometrics on small boxes. This is another great way to build lower extremity muscle strength but with the cartilage problem it may add too much stress to it, so ask your physician first.