Sox & Angels Talking; Crede/Garcia for Santana/Figgins

Steve9347

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
i dont really want to read through the last twenty pages so if someone could help me out. has there been any news with this trade sine the report that the two teams had had discussions. if someone could give me a update it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

No, nothing further. Just recognition of the rumors in other publications.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
i dont really want to read through the last twenty pages so if someone could help me out. has there been any news with this trade sine the report that the two teams had had discussions. if someone could give me a update it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

yep its just speculation at this point. KW didn't deny that he would indeed trade Crede. However, he did say 'at this point Crede is part of the 2007 plans'. I think its well known by this point that Garcia would be the guy KW trades out of the pitchers if an attractive offer came his way. And since Crede's agent is Borass, there might be some releavance to a this rumor. I guess we just have to wait unitl the winter meetings at this point to see what KW plans on doing. Should be interesting......

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
As seen at SSS

Fields, Age 23, SL, 133 games, 358 TC, 24 E, 22 DP, .933 FPCT

Crede, Age 22, SL, 135 games, 328 TC, 19 E, 20 DP, .942 FPCT

Those numbers on Crede were from when? 6 years ago? Do you want to wait another 5 years to get Crede calibre play from Fields? Maybe!? As I said. Not yet, anyway.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
yep its just speculation at this point. KW didn't deny that he would indeed trade Crede. However, he did say 'at this point Crede is part of the 2007 plans'. I think its well known by this point that Garcia would be the guy KW trades out of the pitchers if an attractive offer came his way. And since Crede's agent is Borass, there might be some releavance to a this rumor. I guess we just have to wait unitl the winter meetings at this point to see what KW plans on doing. Should be interesting......

Wait til Schmidt and Zito sign. Then pitching become even more valuable and teams will get desperate for pitching. Cubs, Rangers, Mariners, Mets and others need pitching and most GMs shoot for today vs. thing about tomorrow (hence the high salaries).

If the Sox can then sweeten the deal by including Crede then I'm sure they will.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
Exactly. Fields at this point in time is a shadow of Crede. Defensively, it's no contest. Offensively, Fields is totally unknown and Crede has proven he can be a productive ML hitter. Anderson couldn't replicate Rowand's production, I damn ain't betting that Feilds can replace Crede. Not yet, anyway.

Fields isn't replace Crede's production. But that being said third is one of our strengths. We can afford to deal Crede more than say AJ, in that we have no capable starting catcher. Crede's value might be higher than it will ever be right now.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
Who says it will take Fields that long?

Who says Fields will ever reach that level?

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
Fields isn't replace Crede's production. But that being said third is one of our strengths. We can afford to deal Crede more than say AJ, in that we have no capable starting catcher. Crede's value might be higher than it will ever be right now.

His value to the Sox is pretty high too.

QUOTE(beautox @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Nice find Beck, looks like some of those highly touted Angel prospects will find there way on another teams roster.

heres hoping Jason lands with the cubs, and Zito lands with the padres or dodgers.

It looks like you can add the Angels to the list of teams like the Yanks, Red Sox, and Mets who will trade off important parts of their future for a chance to win now. In this crazy climate of inflating salaries, I wouldn't be surprised if Freddy, Javy and Joe were dealt. That would be the easiest way for the sox to stock up for the future, while having a very solid chance to win now.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)

Technically we could deal AJ and just sign a stud defensive catcher like Molina whose as clutch as it comes with the bat (he really is). He's just slow as mud.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Technically we could deal AJ and just sign a stud defensive catcher like Molina whose as clutch as it comes with the bat (he really is). He's just slow as mud.

I've been one of the people who's been going around all fall saying that if the right offer comes along, I'm willing to trade almost any of the vets on this team in order to make the team better, so hopefully people will take note of it when I say this:

If we want to be competitive the next few years, we need AJ as the catcher. Not because it's impossible for us to replace his production, not because he's such a great catcher or he's such a great value or anything else like that, but entirely because he's such a key part of this team's attitude.

Bringing in Ozzie was a big step at getting away from the lackadasical Manuel years where it seemed everyone waited around for something to happen. But every one of us noticed how much of a difference it made when we threw AJ into that mix. I for one feel that if you were to trade AJ, you're basically trading away this team's balls.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)

I wouldnt understand trading away a key role player set to make $4M next year and bring in a "Slow as Mud" FA looking to make at least $4.5M plus. Not to mention their BA/OBP/SLG are almost identical... only thing Molina brings is a higher average against Lefties .358 vs .270.

not to mention... from the San Fran Chronical:

Those who watched Molina in Toronto say he has declined defensively, in blocking pitches and throwing out runners, but still calls a good game and handles pitchers well. A career .275 hitter, he batted .284 with 19 homers and 57 RBIs in 2006.

AJ's Defense is there, can throw out runners but more importantly can handle OUR pitching staff extreemly well.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
I wouldnt understand trading away a key role player set to make $4M next year and bring in a "Slow as Mud" FA looking to make at least $4.5M plus. Not to mention their BA/OBP/SLG are almost identical... only thing Molina brings is a higher average against Lefties .358 vs .270.

not to mention... from the San Fran Chronical:

Those who watched Molina in Toronto say he has declined defensively, in blocking pitches and throwing out runners, but still calls a good game and handles pitchers well. A career .275 hitter, he batted .284 with 19 homers and 57 RBIs in 2006.

AJ's Defense is there, can throw out runners but more importantly can handle OUR pitching staff extreemly well.

I'm one of AJ's biggest fans, but I'd be the first to also say that Molina is one of the few catchers in the game I'd take over him. Now if he's not healthy or something like that, thats one thing, but the guy is superior in every defensive category to AJ and offensively they are close (although AJ is the better avg guy) and overall offensively I probably take AJ over Bengie.

AJ does have attitude though which I love.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
If we want to be competitive the next few years, we need AJ as the catcher. Not because it's impossible for us to replace his production, not because he's such a great catcher or he's such a great value or anything else like that, but entirely because he's such a key part of this team's attitude.

Bringing in Ozzie was a big step at getting away from the lackadasical Manuel years where it seemed everyone waited around for something to happen. But every one of us noticed how much of a difference it made when we threw AJ into that mix. I for one feel that if you were to trade AJ, you're basically trading away this team's balls.

Excellent point. :cheers

Even with all of the career years and incredible second halves some of our players had in '05, the attitude that Ozzie and A.J. brought to this squad was what pushed that team over the hump, IMO.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Even with all of the career years and incredible second halves some of our players had in '05, the attitude that Ozzie and A.J. brought to this squad was what pushed that team over the hump, IMO.

Personally, I'd say it was the pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, and pitching...but a key part of that pitching is having a catcher who the pitchers trust.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Personally, I'd say it was the pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, and pitching...but a key part of that pitching is having a catcher who the pitchers trust.

It was the pitching, but that team had attitude. They wanted people to doubt them. Last year they didn't have that same attitude, they proved it and everyone thought they were going to win again. I can almost guarantee that if the "experts" put Cleveland, Detroit or Minny ahead of the Sox this year, they will have that attitude back.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)

Yep, that was a huge part of it. Another part of it is having a manager that instills confidence in his young pitchers. Given Jerry Manuel's relationship with Foulke, I don't think that he would've gotten as much out of Jenks last Fall.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
It was the pitching, but that team had attitude. They wanted people to doubt them. Last year they didn't have that same attitude, they proved it and everyone thought they were going to win again. I can almost guarantee that if the "experts" put Cleveland, Detroit or Minny ahead of the Sox this year, they will have that attitude back.

That attitude also carried over into this past season, where the Sox would put up five or six runs late in the game to force extra innings. I didn't see much of that in the Jerry Manuel/Terry Bevington era.

Yeah, AJ's my only untouchable on this team. Trading him would be trading the team's balls.

I mean, McCarthy's untouchable, too, in my book, but that's because he's cheap not because I think he's going to grow up to be like his hero Orel.

That attitude also carried over into this past season, where the Sox would put up five or six runs late in the game to force extra innings. I didn't see much of that in the Jerry Manuel/Terry Bevington era.

Yeah, I was impressed by the team's attitude in forcing extra innings and rallying this year. Too bad they fell apart as the pitching fell apart in September when we still had a good chance.

Nothin really new, but from the LA Times;

The Angels are expected to revisit talks with the Baltimore Orioles about Miguel Tejada and the Chicago White Sox about Joe Crede. If the New York Yankees change course and field offers for Alex Rodriguez, the Angels would make a run at the slugger, and if the Seattle Mariners were open to trading Adrian Beltre to a division rival, the Angels probably would pursue him.

Among the possible first-base targets are Atlanta's Adam LaRoche and Washington's Nick Johnson. Though the Angels remain interested in free-agent left-hander Barry Zito, "our priority is a bat," Stoneman said. "That hasn't changed."

The Los Angeles Times expects the Angels to revisit talks with the Orioles about Miguel Tejada and the White Sox about Joe Crede.

With the Orioles trying to bring in as many guys over 30 as possible, a Tejada trade is very unlikely. Also, the idea of using Ervin Santana and Chone Figgins to acquire Crede and Freddy Garcia might have taken a hit with the White Sox's decision to re-sign Scott Podsednik. The Angels could instead go after Nick Johnson or Adam LaRoche to play first base. Again, Santana could be front and center in any deal the Angels make for a quality bat.