Sox & Angels Talking; Crede/Garcia for Santana/Figgins

Steve9347

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
Vasquez will go to the Mets if this happens.

Entertaining such a possibility, if Vazquez is going then we better damn well receive Pelfrey in return.

Two options with Pelfrey:

1. Holding onto Pelfrey for an additional season allows us to absorb the loss of Buehrle -- if he so decides to leave following 2007. He'd likely remain in the minors throughout next season. I'd prefer this option since it would allow the possible three-some of McCarthy/Santana/Pelfrey in 2008. 3B and CF are still problems, though.

2. If Pelfrey is acquired, perhaps he's then package with Anderson (and Broadway, Fields) to Florida for Miguel Cabrera . I know it sounds ridiculous --especially considering Cabreras's value-- just throwing that suggestion out there.

As I figure, Sweeney would replace Anderson in CF; Figgens replaces Podsednik.

I haven't heard Cabrera's name mentioned in trade talks since his association with St. Louis, but Pelfrey/Anderson/Broadway/Fields is quite generous for a team such as Florida. They have a young CF and SP whom can immediately be plugged in, and two other options in Fields and Broadway whom may be servicable by 2008.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
If this deal went through, there would still be other possibilities, mainly because you'd still have the excess of starting pitching. For example, you could make a pitch to New York about ARod -- as a starting offer, Buehrle + Fields. Or you could make a pitch to Toronto about Vernon Wells.

This deal would not signal the end of the winter for the Sox.

It'd give us a lot of possibilites, that's for sure. If the Sox really do want to get rid of Anderson you can then use him as a trade chip, Figgins in center and Sweeney in left(don't want this to happen but just saying).

So, this is roughly what I'd been expecting us to wind up doing for quite some time...I'm just hoping KW is smart enough to get the Halos to throw in one of the guys that they've had so much trouble with but who seemed to have real talent...I'd love to take Dallas McPherson off of their hands, and let it come down to McPherson v. Fields in ST to see who is in shape enough and ready to take over at 3rd base, with the other going to AAA.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Bold prediction: None of Pelfrey, Hughes, Bailey, or Wood will be traded to the White Sox for one of our starters.

Would only make sense Williams trades one of the top prospects in baseball for Vazquez, yet this offseason -- when pitching is overvalued in the market -- we'd only equal value for one of our starters.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Would only make sense Williams trades one of the top prospects in baseball for Vazquez, yet this offseason -- when pitching is overvalued in the market -- we'd receive s*** for one of our starters.

Did Kenny s*** in your salad or what? Him and Broadway must have stabbed you in the eye or something.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Would only make sense Williams trades one of the top prospects in baseball for Vazquez, yet this offseason -- when pitching is overvalued in the market -- we'd only equal value for one of our starters.

Are you implying that Chris Young is one of the top prospects in all of baseball? I didnt even think he was OUR top prospect.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Did Kenny s*** in your salad or what? Him and Broadway must have stabbed you in the eye or something.

I'm not entirely blaming Williams. He can ask for whatever he wants, but if no one gives it up, what can he do?

I just find it ridiculous how we're going to receive fair value for one of our starters, yet everyone knows full well if it were Williams trading for one of these starters he'd overpay.

It's almost mind-boggling how, in this market for starting pitchers, we couldn't expect ONE f***ING TEAM to overpay for one of our starters. It's ridiculous.

You just wonder, where's the Psuedo Kenny Williams out there? Where's the person willing to trade top prospects? I love it how suddenly every general manager is using their heads in these deals.

The Score has almost no credibility and George Ofman has even less. If this deal is made, I'm going to piss a little on the downside. Crede is overrated by this board, but only has two years left. Garcia is underrated on this board but only has 1 year left.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vasquez will go to the Mets if this happens.

Why would the Mets be interested in our throw in from the Cotts trade? :huh:

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
I'm not entirely blaming Williams. He can ask for whatever he wants, but if no one gives it up, what can he do?

I just find it ridiculous how we're going to receive fair value for one of our starters, yet everyone knows full well if it were Williams trading for one of these starters he'd overpay.

It's almost mind-boggling how, in this market for starting pitchers, we couldn't expect ONE f***ING TEAM to overpay for one of our starters. It's ridiculous.

You just wonder, where's the Psuedo Kenny Williams out there? Where's the person willing to trade top prospects? I love it how suddenly every general manager is using their heads in these deals.

He hasn't done anything yet, calm down their buddy.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Are you implying that Chris Young is one of the top prospects in all of baseball? I didnt even think he was OUR top prospect.

Currently, Chris Young is one of the top positional prospects.

When he was traded last offseason, I'm sure many would label him around the Top 20. If you go and look at Baseball America's list of Top Prospects -- and remove those who had previous service (such as Liriano/Jenks) -- he'd be around the Top 10 overall prospects in MLB.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Entertaining such a possibility, if Vazquez is going then we better damn well receive Pelfrey in return.

the reports I read about Pelfrey in the AFL was that he still has a long way to go on off speed stuff. He seems to be too far away to help us by 2008 with FA pitchers. I still like the Texas and Danks deal.

If nothing else this gives us another topic to bounce around. The other rumors were getting stale.

Maybe KW is just doing this to entertain us :D :D

if this were to go down...i wouldnt blast it one bit yet.....you have to remember....santana at 350,000 + figgins at 3.5 mil is about 11 mil less than garcias 10 + credes arb (which id think would be roughly 5 mil)....so it all depends on what KW does with that remaining 10 mil......remember KW used 10 million saved from the podsednik/lee trade to sign AJ and iguchi