Gload re-signs for 1 year

CSF

Didn't see it posted.

Sox, Gload agree to 1-year deal

The Associated Press

November 27, 2006, 7:30 PM CST

First baseman Ross Gload and the White Sox agreed Monday to a $625,000, one-year contract.

Gload, who batted .327 in 77 games with three homers and 18 RBIs last year, was arbitration-eligible.

Click here to find out more!

As a utility player, Gload can spell Paul Konerko at first and also play the outfield. A left-handed hitter, he had 156 at-bats last season.

Well, everyone knows I'm happy to see Ross back.

If big-time options in LF are too expensive or don't work out, I'd be all for Gload in LF batting 2nd. He's a wash defensively for Pods, and may even improve to be better than Pods with some time out there. And he'd be a huge upgrade offensively.

If Gload plays well and looks comfortable in LF during Spring Training, I would endorse him as our starting LF and #2 hitter if there are no other options.

Here's some of Gload's splits for those who didn't know (2004-2006 seasons aka his White Sox career)

vs LHP 84 AB .345 .375 .524 .899

vs RHP 348 AB .299 .346 .428 .774

Ross Gload is a total bargain.

With those splits, he should have been subbing for Jim Thome against lefties more of the time. I'd also be fine with him playing LF, though probably not as a full-time player. And he's really a perfect #2 hitter. High average, low strike-outs, can pull the ball, can bunt well. Given enough ABs, he'd probably hit double-digit HRs.

The problem is that Ozzie underutilizes him. Instead of 150 ABs, he ought to get twice that number.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
Ross Gload is a total bargain.

With those splits, he should have been subbing for Jim Thome against lefties more of the time. I'd also be fine with him playing LF, though probably not as a full-time player. And he's really a perfect #2 hitter. High average, low strike-outs, can pull the ball, can bunt well. Given enough ABs, he'd probably hit double-digit HRs.

The problem is that Ozzie underutilizes him. Instead of 150 ABs, he ought to get twice that number.

I don't know about 300 at bats, depending on what our LF fix winds up being, but it honestly would be a good idea to just pencil in Konerko at DH and Gload at 1b one time per week for the entire season. It would probably help big Jim avoid some of those nagging little things that started to catch up with him around August of last year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
I don't know about 300 at bats, depending on what our LF fix winds up being, but it honestly would be a good idea to just pencil in Konerko at DH and Gload at 1b one time per week for the entire season. It would probably help big Jim avoid some of those nagging little things that started to catch up with him around August of last year.

Well, he got 234 ABs in 2004, and led the team with a .321 average. So if you give him enough ABs, he's going to hit in the .320s. Sure would be nice to get that kind of production out of LF, SS, or CF. If Gload could play the field just about anywhere but 1B, he should get 500+ ABs.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
quick question, when you guys are saying gload hits two hole, who leads off? I haven't been able to catch up too much.

If Gload did indeed start in LF, one option would be to have a Uribe replacement leadoff, if we get an SS. Or, if Uribe stays, you could maybe leadoff with Gload.