KW

Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
Yet many will say that Sosa and Big Mac arguably saved baseball from disaster after the strike.

I dont like either of them, but you have to give credit where credit is due. The home run chase between Big Mac and Sosa brought people back at a time when baseball was in trouble. Now baseball is fine again, but you cant just forget the people who got you to this point.

They never hurt anyone, so i really just cant paint them as villians. Regardless of the fact im not a personal fan.

I disagree they saved baseball. In fact they may have hurt baseball. They did bring fans back to baseball, the casual fans. In my opinion this game may have been better if it wasn't making as much money, all of the salaries went down and the players were more humble and had to try to win fans back by being good to the fans.

I know none of this will ever happen however I don't think the game would have as much money therefore be so far out of wack if the fans didn't come back as quick. The players should respect what they are getting.

There is a reason why the US govt is not trying Bonds for possession of a controlled substance, it is because at the time the laws likely did not include what he was taking. Therefore any prosecution would be ex post facto. Not to mention Anderson was given a plea bargain for both distribution and money laundering, that only put him in jail for less than a year. If these were big time drugs, the penalty would be much more severe (ie crack, cocaine, etc).

Hence why they are trying for perjury.

And many atheletes use illegal drugs, that are not "performance enhancing" baseball does not even care really.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
I disagree they saved baseball. In fact they may have hurt baseball. They did bring fans back to baseball, the casual fans. In my opinion this game may have been better if it wasn't making as much money, all of the salaries went down and the players were more humble and had to try to win fans back by being good to the fans.

I agree. It "saved" baseball in the short-term but hurt it overall in the long-term.

IMO, what really saved baseball were some great stories in major markets and some perpetually-disappointing teams going all the way (or most of the way). The Yankees Dynasty from '96-'00 and the BoSox championship in '04 significantly rekindled interest on the East Coast. The Sox championship last season, the Cards going 1-for-2 in 2 of the last 3 WS, the '06 Tigers, and the Indians psuedo-dynasty from the mid-late 90's also sent attendance up through the roof in four major markets in the Midwest. The Angels have been drawing over 3 million a year since winning in '02. That did a lot more for baseball than a freaking home run record being broken.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
There is a link on Rotoworld where Gammons speculates that Manny Ramirez may be headed to Chicago for 3 players...

I take it you mean the Sox, and not the flubs? We shouldn't have to send much, considering they want to dump his ass. Or am I wrong?

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
There is a link on Rotoworld where Gammons speculates that Manny Ramirez may be headed to Chicago for 3 players...

Garcia/Buehrle + ______ + ______.

Fill in the blanks. Broadway? Uribe, and then our Sox go out and sign Lugo?

:shrug

Where does Bonds play? He has worse defense than Pods and we already have a LH DH. Plus Bonds can barely run the bases at all. He is not an option because he doesnt fit a need on the team, unless he is a pinch hitter off the bench

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Garcia/Buehrle + ______ + ______.

Fill in the blanks. Broadway? Uribe, and then our Sox go out and sign Lugo?

:shrug

Izturis Cedeno and Jacque Jones

:D

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
There is a reason why the US govt is not trying Bonds for possession of a controlled substance, it is because at the time the laws likely did not include what he was taking. Therefore any prosecution would be ex post facto. Not to mention Anderson was given a plea bargain for both distribution and money laundering, that only put him in jail for less than a year. If these were big time drugs, the penalty would be much more severe (ie crack, cocaine, etc).

Hence why they are trying for perjury.

And many atheletes use illegal drugs, that are not "performance enhancing" baseball does not even care really.

This is totally false. There were and are laws against what he supposedly took. The only reason they aren't prosecuting is that they can't prove he took them. His girlfriend saw the syringes, Anderson sold him the steroids but they cannot prove he actually took them. Since Anderson is holding out all they have hard evidence on is that he lied to the grand jury about what Anderson sold him and the tax evasion charges about the money he gave the girlfriend.

Don't delude yourself he committed federal drug offenses it's just what they can prove in a court of law. As with Al Capone they knew about murder but could only prove tax evasion. Bonds will get convicted of something. Alot of what he gets depends on how the government can convince Anderson that the money Bonds is paying him to be quiet is not worth what they can do to him.